MOV files open with Windows Picture and Fax Viewer instead of Quicktime

G

Gary Burton

When I double-click on files inding in .MOV, they should open with Quicktime. Instead Windows Picture and Fax Viewer (WPFV) tries to open the file, which (of course) it can't.
I can right-click on the file and select Open With--Quicktime, but I don't want to go through the extra steps. I looked at the file associations, and .MOV files are associated wiht Quicktime as they should be and there was no visible assocation with WPFV.
I also searched the registry using ".MOV" as my search criterion. I could see a lot of connections to QuickTima and to Windows MovieMaker, but no keys that connect to WPFV.

Has anyone seen this before?

Can anyone tell me how to look at associations to WPFV?

G

Gary Burton

I just discovered something significant about this, but I still don't have a solution.

When I right-click on the .MOV file to see the options Preview, Open, etc.., it is the Preview option that is boldfaced. If I select the Open option, the file properly opens in Quicktime. But I don't know how to change the default option from Preview to Open.

So I think my question is more general than I first thought.

Please tell me how to change the default option in the right-click context menu for Explorer files.
When I double-click on files inding in .MOV, they should open with Quicktime. Instead Windows Picture and Fax Viewer (WPFV) tries to open the file, which (of course) it can't.
I can right-click on the file and select Open With--Quicktime, but I don't want to go through the extra steps. I looked at the file associations, and .MOV files are associated wiht Quicktime as they should be and there was no visible assocation with WPFV.
I also searched the registry using ".MOV" as my search criterion. I could see a lot of connections to QuickTima and to Windows MovieMaker, but no keys that connect to WPFV.

Has anyone seen this before?

Can anyone tell me how to look at associations to WPFV?

R

RA

Right click on the file. Instead of selecting open, select choose program and browse to the program you want to use. Check the box that says always open with.

G

Gary Burton

It works! Thank you very much!
Right click on the file. Instead of selecting open, select choose program and browse to the program you want to use. Check the box that says always open with.

R

RA

You're welcome.
It works! Thank you very much!

Ask a Question