Mounting TV on a block wall advice.

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I got a new TV coming and got some brackets for this.

the wall is a block wall - so it is block , sand n cement mix then plaster (there is no plasterboard)

basically the booklet that came with the pack said it the fittings are not suitable for cinder block walls. I don't know if mine are cinder thought they were more breeze blocks

but here are the fittings:

DSC_0073.jpg

DSC_0074.jpg

DSC_0077.jpg

so what you all reckon? safe to mount or not?

tv = 19kilograms

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I reckon.

How many of those fittings will be used to mount the VESA bracket, 4?

6 would be better.

Make sure you drill the correct size hole for the rawplug and if possible use a ratchet socket to screw them in.

Also ensure every one is sound and not spinning within the wall when you tighten up.

When you've put the bracket up just pull down on it and you should be able to feel whether it's secure or not, it's a 'gut' thing, I do a lot of work like that.

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
I reckon.

How many of those fittings will be used to take the VESA bracket - 4?

6 would be better.

Make sure you drill the correct size hole for the rawplug and if possible use a ratchet socket to screw them in.

Also ensure every one is sound and not spinning within the wall when you tighten up.

When you've put the bracket up just pull down on it and you should be able to feel whether it's secure or not, it's a 'gut' thing, I do a lot of work like that.

hello - maybe just the right man to ask!!! lol

it will be 6 in total mate

basically these things are called lag bolts and the other thing is called concrete anchors - are these anchors okay for blocks?

will check out ratchet socket - was a bit surprised with the actual width of these bad boys they are huge
have u put many up within block walls before?

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
psd99 said:
basically these things are called lag bolts and the other thing is called concrete anchors - are these anchors okay for blocks?

Those will be just fine for your wall mount. But like FBS says make sure your drill the correct size hole for the rawplug.

Reaction score
cheers on the bottom of that page it says the drill bit size that I need
just can't remember it off of the top of my head..
actually.

3/16" drill bit

1/2" masonry bit

Reaction score
so you think they will be fine even though it says on leaflet

not designed for cinder wall blocks or walls with steel studs

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
All your breeze block are belong to us :D

Let me just repeat what I said in my first post ;)

And yes, I've done a fair few fittings like that in my time.

I 've just looked at the same fittings here and I think it's best you use a 10mm masonary bit for the holes, half inch (12.5mm) seems too big to me and as I mentioned earlier, you want a tight fit. Drill the 10mm hole, tap rawplug in with a hammer. If it won't go in then drill a 12mm hole.

And I'll say it again, you will just know if it's not safe by feeling it, putting a little pressure on it..

Reaction score
good lad thanks

I'll be sure not to make it TOO tight
imo that might not be the best idea

Ask a Question