Month by Month

Reaction score
The following entry is written by the Daughter of a close friend of mine.

This is a competition where schools enter all their children from 7-14 years old. The theme is autobiographical and to encourage, support and celebrate young peoples writing about their own lives, a memorable incident or a significant person. Heathers school have been entering this for more than 10 years and nobody has ever got anywhere. Last year there were 10,000 entries (there were more this year) and 20 winners were picked from this – 10 primary and 10 secondary.

Heather is one of the 10 secondary chosen this year and she wins an interactive whiteboard, digital projector, digital camera and DVD player for the school. She will receive a PSP and 3 tickets for her to see a Shakespeare play at The Globe in London. She receives her award on 6 June in London at The Globe where it will be presented by Michael Rosen and Jacqueline Wilson (she will also receive signed editions of their books).

Hope you find it as touching and as inspirational as I did,

One proud Dad

--------------------------

Month by Month

One breath. I glanced around slowly; knowing there was something wrong. He looked at me. One moment I’ll never forget. We stared into each other’s eyes. It ended. I felt it collapse. To the right I looked, my mother crying as if there was no end to her pain. A heartbeat; my family, my life, world’s over. His mouth opened, words flew out. I didn’t listen. I couldn’t listen, I already knew.

It was just one of those things you have already heard about but don’t think will ever happen. Tears hit the floor but not mine I was in shock. It wasn’t meant to happen. Not to me, not to my family. We weren’t bad. What had I done? What had he done? He was in pain, constantly in pain. I wish I could help but I knew I couldn’t. One day, soon, it will end. All of it, his pain but mine will have only just begun. I can’t do it. A never-ending struggle, a life without him? I don’t believe it. I feel I want my life to end so I can’t feel his pain anymore.

But wait. There’s always a glimmer of hope. Life isn’t that cruel. Month by month we get a scan. Good? Bad? Better? Worse? Well I don’t always listen. I shut it all out, wishing and wishing for it all to end. It isn’t worth the minute of sheer torture finding out. Oh great, no luck, it’s bad. He’s worse. Like the shining light above his head has gone out, ping. Pitch black.

I can’t breathe let me out. Make it stop, over: A flicker, a flash, a beam of light. Another month, the bulbs back on. My dad has cancer but is surviving so far. How long until the bulb goes completely out? A month?

Heather

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks for posting that TD - that is very touching to read, and even more so knowing that it was only a 7-14 year old expressing themself like that.

Here's hoping for the best :thumb:

Reaction score
Unfortnately he had his results back yesterday. It was in remission however its started growing again. Chances are even worse!

But as you shoudl he just gets on with his life as much as he can.

A very brave man, i'm proud of him!

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
Trip, Heather is an amazing person & I am still crying as I'm writing this.

Just over two years ago a friend of mine died of cancer.
It was a very rare form of cancer, with no treatment, that ate away at her intellect as well as her body, before it killed her.
An exceptionally intelligent person & brilliant engineer she had to watch her own intellect disappear slowly over about a year, until, eventually she was no longer able to understand what was happening to her. Didn't even know who she was anymore. Just the pain.
But her partner Amanda, another beloved friend, who had loved & nursed Petrina throughout & seen, not just the pain, but also the disintergration of 'self' in the woman she loved. She couldn't cope with her own pain any more.
She commited suicide 2 days before Petrina died.

I think I will always grieve.
They come into my thoughts & my heart at the strangest of times.
& I'll find myself crying.

But, having seen what Amanda went through.
I would never presume to judge her.
How could I ever.

But I will always respect those that don't let it destroy them.
That have the courage to keep on living
& to rebuild their lives.

Heather's insight, & her recognition & acknowledgement of her pain,
speaks of a very courageous young woman.
One with the courage & strength to endure & survive.
To keep on loving.
Definitely deserving of such pride.
I'm sorry, I don't believe in a god,
but in my heart I will pray for for her & her father.
If that makes any sense.

Reaction score
Dont apologise for your beliefs. I am like you. If there was a supreme being with a wealth of omnipitance then how the hell can it be allowing things to happen to a very dear friend and a family of whom I have known nearly 18 years and watched their children grow from conception to present day. The eldest now being 17.

It just isnt fair. No one on this planet deserves to die like this at 38 especially with a family so young. It's all BulSh*t

thankyou for your reply Ciri

Ask a Question