Monitor issues - black screen on start up

Reaction score
I run Windows XP and didn't have any problems at all until I tried to change my monitor driver in an act of rashness. I chose the "Update Driver" option from the bit in the Control Panel. It whirred a bit, then told me I would have to restart Windows for the changes to take effect, so I did. When it restarted, the Display was actually worse, with lower resolution and worse colours. I decided I didn't like this, so chose the "Roll Back Driver" option. Again, I had to restart my computer, which I did, but now I don't get anything at all when Windows starts.

I get all the text before it's loaded, then I get the screen telling me it's loaded, with the blocks going across the bar to show the progress, but after that the screen goes back. Windows is definitely loading and the computer's going fine, since the start up music plays, but the monitor just doesn't show this.

I'm sure this should be easy to solve, but please bear in mind I can't get into anything like the control panel because I just can't see it.

Also, starting in Safe Mode doesn't work, several lines of text comes up and then just freezes and won't do anything. Last known configuration doesn't work either, the black screen comes back again.

Cheers.

Reaction score
try to do a repair install and then update the display driver and then reinstall sp2 in safe mode

to do a repair install follow the following

Insert the Windows XP CD into your computer's CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive, and then restart your computer.
When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message appears on the screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.

Note Your computer must be configured to start from the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive. For more information about how to configure your computer to start from the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive, see your computer's documentation or contact your computer manufacturer.
You receive the following message on the Welcome to Setup screen that appears: This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

Press ENTER to set up Windows XP.
On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement screen, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.
Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the box, and then press R to repair Windows XP.
Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to reinstall Windows XP. After you repair Windows XP, you may have to reactivate your copy of Windows XP.

Ask a Question