Mobile Phone Rip Off?????/

Reaction score
Hey,

Opinion time:

Was in phones 4 u earlier looking at phones, and i got a deal from them. They offered me.............

Vodafone
500 mins cross network anytime
500 txts
Free Nokia N73.

Started at £35/month and i talked them down to £28/month which was fine. Said i'd think about it overnight and obviously they want the sale there and then so talked to his manager and offered me £100 cash. All good i thought, so i said yes. When it came to signing the contract it said £35/month, so i questioned them. They said that the £100 cash was a 'make weight' between the £35 and the £28. But that is NOT how it was seen by me, cause teh £28 was offered well before the £100 cash.

The paperwork had gone through so i had to take it, but they said if i wasnt happy i could go in tomorrow and cancel it.

What do you think, the phone looks good, the contract is actually probably pretty good, but i just feel a bit conned. Show of hands, what would you do, and why?

Thanks homies.

Bodhi

Reaction score
You should have a "cooling off" period.
But as a rule i always get phone shops to write it all down on paper that way you know what the bottom line is!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yeah, it was all written down, then the gave me the contract and it was different, and they claimed the £100 offer was connected to the first offer, when it blatantly wasnt!!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Don't take it and make a fuss, that's cheating!

Take a look at this offer here:

http://threestore.three.co.uk/offerdetails.aspx?offercode=18DS14OL74

Nokia n70R, 300 anytime any network mins, 1000 text messages both doubled for the first six months, 50 UK Video Minutes anytime, 50 UK photo or video messages, Free msn messenger for life, free 30mg of full internet access a month for life. £5 of content download allowance a month.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Phones 4U are a very aggressive sales company, my ex-girlfriend had awful problems with them trying to cancel a contract - their customer service is very poor.

Reaction score
I find my local carphonewarehouse very helpful, but like most of these shops they always want to sell you the most expensive package though. I'm with o2 and on PAYG Talk Anytime, with £15top up per month i get 100 anytime minutes. I now only use the credit on my phone when texting.

I was going to leave o2, but they have offered me a good deal as a PAYG customer.

Last edited:

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
Take your time

14 days to cancel mate weigh up your options carefully ;)

Reaction score
Think im def gonna take it back tomorrow, at the end of the day, its not a bad deal, but it leaves a sh*t taste in the mouth to think you have been conned doesn't it?

Might just pay £35/month, on 02 i can get the new SE k800i with 750mins and 750txts.

Or £35/month on orange gets the SE k800i with 550mins and unlimited txts.

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUrrrrrrrrrrggggghhhhh

By Bodhi
but it leaves a sh*t taste in the mouth

if its that bad...I`d take it back as well ;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I'd take it back.

Cos if you don't, for as long as that contract lasts, you're going to think back and feel annoyed about it.

Let them know why you're returning it, bunch of con artists.

As Chris said, if you deal directly with service supplier, you will usually get a better deal. They don't have to pay a commission, for starters.

And come December I hope you guys are going to help me out, cos then I renew my contract.

My biggest gripes are I only want a twelve month contract and I don't want to be charged for not paying by direct debit. And I want a Samsung D600 (I think that's the model number).

Other than that, about £30.00 a month, a good quota of minutes within the plan (minimum 180) not worried about texts cos I only send about ten a month, and I'll be happy :)

Reaction score
I'll help you out Flopps, cause ive hunted around a lot. I will be taking this back and i will be doing some shouting, will report all tomorrow when ive done it.

I'll be dealing directly with the supplier this time. Either O2 or Orange. Probably 02, cause 750 mins and 750 txts for £35 is pretty good, almost guaranteed not to pay more than £35!!

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Go by your gut instinct.....Your Guts have already told you what you have to do mate....Because that sour taste in the mouth lasts an awfully long time...

Reaction score
Cheers boys, im about to head down to the shop to take it back, hopefully they try to persuade me to keep it cause im in the mood for an argument!! PSD, im not that bothered about cash back at all, but thanks for the links, i'll have a look. Im pretty sure im just gonna go with the actual 02 or Orange website though.

More to follow no doubt!!!! lol.

Reaction score
bodhi there are not better value for money deals without Cashback

okay it is a hassle but you will get the best deal from that

Reaction score
Yeah, i understand that psd, but i'd rather pay a bit more for better service to be honest. I guess you get what you pay for.

Reaction score
bodhi said:
Yeah, i understand that psd, but i'd rather pay a bit more for better service to be honest. I guess you get what you pay for.

what do u mean by service then?

you will get good reception for sure
just dont go with 3g

if that is the aspect you are talking about

overall I reckon the best way is to get a contract and stick with it for a year or 18 months, then stay on that network for years
every year you will get a good deal:

providing u are a good customer ie pay your bills

ive been with tmobile for many years
i got a very very good deal

1000 anytime anynetwork minutes for £18
i dont think i could beat that without the hassle of cashback

only drawback is that i dont get a "latest" phone but i can deal with that.

Reaction score
I have always dealt with the network directly - iv'e always been given the latest phone, and always got a discount off my bill in addition to an upgrade when my 12 months is up.

Reaction score
OK guys, well i took it back to them. They put me on the phone to some dude at head office that was so pushy, i know where they get their training from now!!

Told him why i wanted to cancel and he offered me ANOTHER £100 cash back on top of the original one. Told him i still wasnt interested so he went to do all the cancellation things and came back and said "i'll give you another £30, so thats £230 cashback in total". My monthly bills would have been about £15 for the first year. Told them i still wasnt interested so they said i was cutting my nose off to spite my face (i was) so i told them i was happy to pay more to deal with a professional company.

So, in the end, the moral of the story is dont deal with Phones 4 u. And if you do, you can get a good deal once they have tried to rip you off. :)

P.S. Anyone know where i can get 500mins and 500txt for £15/month now?! lol.

Ask a Question