Mobile customers details 'sold on'

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Looks like someones in trouble with a capital T by the looks of it..

I do like what Christopher Graham of ICO said though..

Christopher Graham said: "Many people will have wondered why and how they are being contacted by someone they do not know just before their existing phone contract is about to expire.

"We are considering the evidence with a view to prosecuting those responsible and I am keen to go much further and close down the entire unlawful industry in personal data."

Mr Graham revealed details of the allegations as he backed Government proposals for people who steal and sell on personal data to be given prison sentences. At the moment, the maximum punishment is a fine.

http://news.uk.msn.com/uk/articles.aspx?cp-documentid=150922266

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
T-Mobile ...made me laugh when a spokesman expressed anger that "this was leaked to the press before it came to court"...lol...Then again when it did detect the fraudalent activities of some of its employees it did contact the watchdog. We are not talking hundreds of contacts though but MILLIONS...

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Until I changed my contract to a monthly sim card only, I always had several mobile phone companies phoning me shortly before my contract expired, nowt new there really.

Same thing with car insurance.

All verbal spammers get a two word answer from me the first of which begins with 'f' and the second of which is 'off'. Seriously. I hate them.

Actually had some Asian chappie phone me back once and as I never answered he left a message on my answerphone. My surname is Sullivan. His message went 'Hey, Sullibum, *** you. You **** off'.

Well good for him I suppose, that's the spirit, lol

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Until I changed my contract to a monthly sim card only, I always had several mobile phone companies phoning me shortly before my contract expired, nowt new there really.

Same thing with car insurance.

All verbal spammers get a two word answer from me the first of which begins with 'f' and the second of which is 'off'. Seriously. I hate them.

Actually had some Asian chappie phone me back once and as I never answered he left a message on my answerphone. My surname is Sullivan. His message went 'Hey, Sullibum, *** you. You **** off'.

Well good for him I suppose, that's the spirit, lol

I always ask em to hold on, then I go make a cup of tea or scratch me bum for half an hour or so.
nod.gif

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
These rogue companies must make a fortune from doing this, as commission on a mobile phone contract can be really quite high. I know a few people that have fallen for this, mainly from the older generation - as the caller sounds like they are from the company you are currently with and they have details such as name/provided/number.

I hope there is a proportionate punishment dished out, rather than a small fine. At least now people will be much more cautious when getting calls like this.

Ask a Question