MMC To Edit AD Computer Description

I was wondering if anyone has an MMC already created that would allow a
person to Add/Edit the Description Field of a Computer within the Active
Directory? At this time that is all we want a person to do. If anyone has
it created, I sure would appreciate a how to on how it was done.

Curtis

Brian Desmond [MVP]

Curtis-

If you just delegate them rights over this attribute, ADUC will handle
making all the other textboxes readonly for you.

Brian Desmond
Windows Server MVP

www.briandesmond.com

Ace Fekay [MVP]

In
Brian Desmond said:
Curtis-

If you just delegate them rights over this attribute, ADUC will handle
making all the other textboxes readonly for you.

I like creating a custom ADUC with just that OU, and then copy via a UNC
connected to the delegated person's workstation's Doc and
Setttings\username\desktop folder. Then I copy over two DLLS files to their
system32 folder:

adprop.dll (for object properties)
dsadmin.dll (ability to alter object properties)
dsprop.dll (for object properties related to directory services)

(All three of these are needed on a 2003 DC or the ADUC won't open. However,
on a client machine, you only need two. If I were to allow users to change
passwords and create a custom MMC for just that OU, then all I need is
adprop.dll and dsadmin.dll).

Then I use PSEXEC to regsrv32 them into their machines. Then email them or
call them and tell them to get off their butts and get working...

--
Ace

confers no rights.

Having difficulty reading or finding responses to your post?
Instead of the website you're using, I suggest to use OEx (Outlook Express
or any other newsreader), and configure a news account, pointing to
news.microsoft.com. This is a direct link to the Microsoft Public
Newsgroups. It is FREE and requires NO ISP's Usenet account. OEx allows you
to easily find, track threads, cross-post, sort by date, poster's name,
watched threads or subject.

It's easy:
How to Configure OEx for Internet News
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=171164

Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
Microsoft Certified Trainer
Assimilation Imminent. Resistance is Futile
Infinite Diversities in Infinite Combinations

"Very funny Scotty. Now, beam down my clothes."

The only thing in life is change. Anything more is a blackhole consuming
unnecessary energy.