Missing shared borders on published .PHP pages

Phil Steer

I've found a number of references to this problem, but sadly no solution...

I use FrontPage 2003 to maintain my website ( www.romford.org )

I now want to use PHP to generate page content ( in this case to display an
image in various sizes )

I have successfully created the PHP code and called it from a page renamed
with a .PHP extension ( see www.romford.org/test.php )

The problem is that when I publish the page to the webserver the shared
borders disappear ( compare the above with
www.romford.org/roads/market-place/market29.htm which uses standard HTML and
JavaScript to display the image )

The problem appears to be in the publishing process, because the shared
borders display as expected in FrontPage Design and Preview views

I'm sure that many people must have tried to use PHP on a site with shared
borders. Has anyone got it to work?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Best Regards, Phil Steer

Phil Steer

Further to the above, the server is configured with FrontPage Server
Extensions 4.0.2 (FP SE 2000, I think). If this version is the cause of the
problem then there is, unfortunately, nothing that I can do about it (other
than changing my hosting service). But this may not be relevant at all, so I
would still appreciate your feedback on this problem. Many thanks.

Stefan B Rusynko

FP shared borders and include page are design time components which can not be server side generated (ie you can just generate the
meta tag from PHP and get them to display)

If they are applied to a valid html page (even as a .php) and you see them in Design View and in File Preview in Browser, they will
publish correctly

--

"Phil Steer" <none> wrote in message | Further to the above, the server is configured with FrontPage Server
| Extensions 4.0.2 (FP SE 2000, I think). If this version is the cause of the
| problem then there is, unfortunately, nothing that I can do about it (other
| than changing my hosting service). But this may not be relevant at all, so I
| would still appreciate your feedback on this problem. Many thanks.

Phil Steer

Stefan,

Many thanks for your reply. However, I don't think I explained myself
clearly enough. I'm trying to generate the shared borders using PHP. The
page is a normal HTML page, with shared borders applied in FrontPage in the
normal way. The only difference is that is includes a small amount of PHP
code within the body, and has a PHP extension rather than HTM to ensure that
it is processed by the PHP processor. (By the way, I've seen it suggested
that the .htaccess file can be modified so that HTM pages are also processed
by the PHP processor, but I couldn't get this to work.) I know that the HTML
is OK (because it's based on an existing page that displays without problem)
and I know that the PHP is OK (because it displays the images as expected) -
but when I combine the two in a file with a PHP extension, the borders
disappear when published. I hope this explains things a bit more clearly.
Any further feedback would be much appreciated. Many thanks.

Best Regards, Phil Steer

Phil Steer

Sorry, that should have said 'I'm NOT trying to generate the shared borders
using PHP...'!

Brenda

You might keep trying the .htaccess route. I use PHP on all my pages, and I
use dynamic templates instead of shared borders, but I had to keep the .htm
extensions in order for it to work right in FrontPage.

On one host (Ipowerweb), I had to add this line to htaccess:

AddType application/x-http-php htm html

However, that didn't work on my other webhost (Site5). This works instead:

AddHandler application/x-httpd-php .html .htm

Good luck,

Brenda

Stefan B Rusynko

Have you installed MS Office SP1 ?
There was a bug corrected on not being able to use include pages (SB are include pages) w/ ASP (also PHP) pages
See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/872837/

--

"Phil Steer" <none> wrote in message | Sorry, that should have said 'I'm NOT trying to generate the shared borders
| using PHP...'!

Phil Steer

Brenda,

Many thanks for the information.

I've tried both your suggestions, but sadly without success. I might try a
few more times, in case I've done something wrong.

Best Regards, Phil

Phil Steer

Brenda,

I contacted my hosting service (NetNation) and they told me to add the
following lines to my .htaccess file:

AddHandler php-action php php4 htm html
Action php-action /cgi-bin/php4

And it worked! HTM and HTML files are now parsed as PHP.

So many thanks for your encouragement to continue with this route.

Best Regards, Phil