mirror data from subform to main form

Reaction score
Hello,

In my main form I have 2 objects:

- (top) one unbound textbox named BigCell.
- (bottom) one subform with lots of long data.

When the cursor moves around in the subform, the data needs to be mirrored to BigCell. This is similar to split form but instead of having all fields in the main form, I just want one big box showing each field. I'm actually trying to make BigCell look like the formula bar in Excel for my novice Access users.

Thanks everyone.

Reaction score
You could use the On Enter or On Focus for each field and add the code:

me.parent!BigCell = Nz(YourCtl,"")

Reaction score
billmeye, thanks for the tip. Each field is now showing up in BigCell. However, since BigCell is unbounded, any data update I make in BigCell is not saved in each field. Perhaps I need some code under BigCell AfterUpdate?

Reaction score
If you would like to use BigCell for data entry, you need to know which field you currently are viewing. If you create another unbound text box on your main form, say CurField and it could be hidden, you can use this to assign the field name from your subform at the same time you are filling in BigCell:

me.parent!BigCell = Nz(YourCtl,"")
me.parent!CurField = "YourCtlName"

Then, I would create a button on the main form that says UPDATE and in the On Click you can change the value on your subform:

forms(subformName)(CurField) = Me.BigCell

I don't think I would use the After Update event since the user would have to move the focus off of BigCell in order to fire the event and that could be confusing.

Ask a Question