Microsoft's perennial incompetence...

John Doe

My word is my computer's command. It does the trivial stuff like
typing and formatting and whatever else is repetitive. It's the
way you guys or those who come after you will use a computer in
the future. It's the way everybody should be using a computer
already, if only Microsoft were a genuine high technology company.
Speech recognition (as it is) is a bit tough for general
dictation, but the vocabulary for command and control is
relatively extremely small so that most people have no trouble
with it. It's just that Microsoft isn't interested in anything but
pleasing the masses to keep hold of its monopoly power.

dadiOH

Something so obviously wrong deserves discussion.

Why, it isn't going to change anything. "The moving finger writes and
having writ moves on..."

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Gene E. Bloch

On Tue, 26 Nov 2013 10:59:38 -0800, "Gene E. Bloch" <not-
(e-mail address removed)> wrote in article

And the fact you had to qualify that statement as you did speaks
volumes ;-)

And the fact that you came up with that reply has me LOL...

Good one!

Time to crawl back into my hole, looks like...

xfile

Just put the creation date in the file itself as a comment for
example, rather than rely on the OS to track it for you. File
meta-data is not designed for configuration management for the user.

If you opened a Word document and checked the document properties, you
would see several relate dates including Created, Last Modified, and
Last Printed, and these properties don't change because the
document/file has been moved around.

Obviously, these information are prepared for and presented to *normal
user* who don't have sophisticated knowledge of what is the freaking
meaning of timestamp, metadata, system data, and system administration,
and so on, and data, files, and documents are almost indistinguishable
terms. To most of them, photos and documents are their data and files.

Which brings up an interesting question - If this information is not
designed for the *normal user* and is for more knowledgeable
administrators, why provided to the user and not just reserved for
*system administrators* when using more sophisticated *system management
tools*?

And if it was intended for the user, why does it require a user to open
each file to examine, and if so, what is the freaking purpose of putting
there in the first place? Is it supposed to eliminate additional
actions and works and to help the user quickly determine information as
they needed?

Strictly speaking, if you moved a file, you changed its state and in
this case, it is the location.

It can be discussed and thought about, and perhaps, improved for better
clarity, but blind defense by itself is silly.

RayLopez99

That's a ridiculous workaround.

You're not a serious poster, imposter, so ridiculous suits you fat doughy face just fine.

It's John Doe against the world! The clown is going to change the world, one verbose header post at a time! Troll on dude!

RL

David Trimboli

If that *were* true, then they wouldn't be selectable in *Windows
Explorer columns*. But *in fact* they are listed along with
*hundreds of other file attributes* that are obviously for the
user. Yes, Microsoft is too *lazy* to clean up its *obsolete* and
*misnamed* file attributes. But *knowing* when I started a file is
more *useful* than *95%* of the other *400+* attributes
*Microsoft* has *decided* to *recognize*. *Microsoft* is too
*lazy* to *add* such *useful* code to *Windows Explorer*, even
*though* *it* *already* *records* *the* *original* *creation*
*date*. *Instead*, *we* *have* *a* *misleading* *file* *attribute*
"meant for the operating system".

<snipped spam signature, typically accompanying a bullshit answer>

Ohhhhhhhhh. You're a jerk. That explains a lot. By all means, resume
your pointless whining.

John Doe

A Google Groups blight on USENET...

--
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2013 06:29:33 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Microsoft's perennial incompetence...
From: RayLopez99 <raylopez88 gmail.com>

You're not a serious poster, imposter, so ridiculous suits you fat doughy face just fine.

It's John Doe against the world! The clown is going to change the world, one verbose header post at a time! Troll on dude!

RL

John Doe

Windows Explorer file attributes on a downloaded file:
Date Created 13/11/28 13:01
Date Last Saved 13/11/28 13:01
Date Modified 13/11/28 13:01
Oh yeah, that makes sense...

John Doe

I said:
Windows Explorer file attributes on a downloaded file:
Date Created 13/11/28 13:01
Date Last Saved 13/11/28 13:01
Date Modified 13/11/28 13:01

It's not entirely useless, after downloading a very large file,
you can subtract the Date Created from either of the other two
dates to figure out the approximate download time.

John Doe

John said:
John Doe wrote:

I happen to agree with John Doe's basic premise - his methods of
getting his point across - not so much.
Darn.

MS does not handle this in a useful way. From a business
standpoint I am interested in the *latest version* of a file and
could care less

It's "couldn't care less".
It may be a matter of semantics as many respondents have
indicated,

I love semantics.

hp

I wonder how long that's going to last, since MS started including
similar abilities in windows.

I myself would question MS's AV stuff, after all are they not the ones
responsible for the massive need to close all the holes in their
operating systems that need 'protection'?

Sort of Like 'Who Left the Barn Door Open'? and why are all the rats
trying to get in?