Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop Comfort Edition

Review Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop Comfort Edition

Chris Pickering

Monkey Island Fanboy
Reaction score
Chris Pickering submitted a new article:

Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop Comfort Edition - Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop Comfort Edition

Introduction

Comfort is something we seem to neglect to think about all too often when it comes to our time at in front of our computers. I'd be more than willing to estimate that the majority of people either have an uncomfortable chair that's set at the wrong height, a monitor that's too high in regards to your eye level, or a mouse and keyboard that just aren't comfortable for long term use....

Read more about this article...

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris Pickering

Monkey Island Fanboy
Reaction score
darkangel said:
I was just wondering how long the batteries usually last in these things??

Thanks

Well, apparently people have had batteries last around 6 months. Personally, I've had this set about 3 weeks now, and I've been using it VERY extensively indeed, and according to the additional software, both levels for the mouse and keyboard are good.

Reaction score
I just received this piece and am disappointed with it.

my first and biggest complaint is that on my dual boot systems (main machine is Win2K and Suse10) it sticks at loading Grub and does nothing unless I press a key so I can't power on and walk away.

my second major complaint is that 4 out of 5 times my keyboard and mouse are not recognised in Win2K. I have to repeatedly press the mouse buttons and key on the keyboard to get it recognised 1 out of 5 (sometimes more) attempts. If I just let the system boot normally, aside from sticking at the Grub loader, then when I get to the Windows login I can't do anything except a cold reset. I've downloaded the latest drivers from microsoft's site but no difference. Fortunately I use Suse most of the time. The moment I plug in my old keyboard, a cherry atx model everything works as normal including the grub loader.

the third annoying thing is in Suse my middle button often doesn't work when I click on links. Usually I have to exagerate the click in an unnatural way to get a response, sometimes taking 3 or 4 attempts to click.

I do like the keyboard for the most part, the qwerty keys are nice, some other gripes are the rather large delete button which is going to take a little getting used to as I touch type and feel my way around so I keep hitting the wrong button when trying to find the key and I also find the left to be too small so I have missed keyed it a few times already today when doing a cut and paste and end up replacing the text with a letter c.
The mouse is a little slim for me. I don't have big hands, but I'm used to the very original microsoft mouse (without the scroll wheel) size of case and find my fingers get a little cramped sooner than I would like, considering I spend a lot of time on the PC.

My rechargable batteries (uniross ni-mh 1300mAh) have been running all day (about 12 hours so far) and haven't shown any sign of loosing their charge. I have a logitech infrared on another machine and normally get around 1-2 weeks heavy use from them, providing I don't hold the mouse button down all the time in-between scrolling. Another set of batteries I use for my camera (uniross - 2300 mAh) have lasted for up to 4 weeks in the Logitech mouse.

I bought this combination to replace my old wired setup, but have been rather disappointed with it. I have tried this on two PCs and a laptop (all dual boot) and have the same problem. All run Suse10 but only 1 dual boots to Win2K, the laptop dual boots to Win98 and the 2nd PC dual boots to NT.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I was looking at them at a computer show a few weeks back ... when I went to finally get one, they had sold out ... got a cheap Belkin instead. Works in Suse 10 no bother. :thumb:

Now I was still going to get the MS kit, but after your post I may just go and opt for another logitech.

:D

Reaction score
I've been speaking online with a colleague since posting and he doesn't have the oem product like I do and doesn't have any of the problems I outlined above, so it may just be that. The mouse in the oem product is made in china, the keyboard in taiwan so it may be a better product had I shelled out an extra few quid for it rather than getting the oem. Incidently, I didn't know I was getting an oem. considering it was £12 cheaper in dixons and I could have got it from a handful of online sites cheaper, I was suprised when it turned up in a brown box and the two page leaflet said "For distribution only with a new computer". I bought this from PCNextday.co.uk. I emailed them earlier today to see their response. Particular the fact it doesn't say on their web page its an oem like the majority of resellers do and also that its for distribution with a new computer. If I wanted to have dealings with them in future I would send it back right away for a refund and go with a logitech kit myself. As it is I'll probably just open the mouse and try to rework the problem with the middle button/scroll wheel and just end up despising having to boot into windows on this machine (I need it for rally masters :))

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Thanks for that feedback, greatly appreciated.

:thumb:

Reaction score
I have a MS Wireless Comfort Keyboard 1.0A bought less than a year ago & it stopped working. When I type nothing shows up on the screen. The batteries are new. Please help.

Ask a Question