Microsoft Update & Zone Alarm 7.0

Kayman

I disagree, for the fact that I have a different firewall (look'n'stop) and
have the same problem.

Maybe this'll help to agree.
http://securosis.com/2008/07/08/dan...ue-in-dns-massive-multivendor-patch-released/

....Mr. Kaminsky immediately reported the issue to major authorities,
including the United States Computer Emergency Response Team (part of the
Department of Homeland Security), and began working on a coordinated fix.
Engineers from *major technology vendors* around the world converged on the
Microsoft campus in *March* to coordinate their response. All of the
vendors began repairing their products and agreed that a synchronized
release, on a single day, would minimize the risk that malicious
individuals could figure out the vulnerability before all vendors were able
to offer secure versions of their products...

MB

Zonealarm Free will not be supported at this time. Their paid products are.
Go to their webiste and type in 'kb951748' and they tell you how to solve the
issue:

1. Go into the Zonealarm panel.
2. Select 'Firewall'.
3. Move the 'Internet Zone Security' slider to the 'Medium' setting.

This will solve your internet access issue.

RME

I have used Zone Alarm Firewall & Anti-Virus with MS Windows for over two
years with no problems at all. Automatic updates from both Microsoft and Zone
Alarm occured regularly.

July 9, upon shutting down for the night, automatic install of Windows
update (KB951748) occured.

July 10, after booting up, could not access internet.
Used phone to call my internet provider (Earthlink) customer support.
Customer support walked me through uninstall of KB951748.
After reboot, accessed internet, everything fine.

That night, at shutdown, Windows again offered "Update". I declined and shut
down the computer without installing update.

July 11, after boot up, accessed internet normally. While browsing the web,
a Microsoft Pop-Up notice informs me that an update installation (unsolicited
or authorized by me) is "almost complete and you will have to restart the
computer after that".

Sure enough, after restart - no internet. Checked and found KB951748
installed once again. Removed it again, then restarted and got my internet
back.

Sometime later got a Pop-Up from Zone Labs offering to fix the "KB951748
problem".
Installed same and rebooted. Everything fine.

Now, tell me, whose fault the above sequence of aggravation is? Microsoft or
Zone Alarm? Definitely Microsoft's, who up to this moment nowhere on their
website acknowledges (while Google has thousands of hits) that a problem even
exists.

R. McCarty

The issue has been resolved. Checkpoint has released Zone Alarm
Version 7.0.483. Workarounds or other actions aren't necessary.

Big_Al

RME wrote:
Now, tell me, whose fault the above sequence of aggravation is? Microsoft or
Zone Alarm? Definitely Microsoft's, who up to this moment nowhere on their
website acknowledges (while Google has thousands of hits) that a problem even
exists.

http://securosis.com/2008/07/08/dan...ue-in-dns-massive-multivendor-patch-released/

Someone left a link to an article that explains a bit. Basically in May
2008 they found this DNS flaw and told all vendors that on June 8 they
should all patch their software.
Find the article, if this taken for face value then everyone, ZA
included had notice and should have done their thing on time. Evidently
MS did as you have found out.

today

RME....I have Zone Alarm, and have had to uninstall the Security Update
several times. How do I get the fix from Zone Alarms.?

John Mackenzie

Anthony Buckland

R. McCarty said:
The issue has been resolved. Checkpoint has released Zone Alarm
Version 7.0.483. Workarounds or other actions aren't necessary.

I've just installed 7.0.483.000, and the outstanding MIcrosoft updates.
Everything seems to be working ok so far. Thanks to ZoneAlarm for
their swift action.

Bferrari

ZoneAlarm has posted a new version of their firewall software that
worksaround this Microsoft hotfix issue. I'm sure many software companies
are getting tired of all this, which is probably why there are so many users
switching to Linux or MacOS.

Bob

Jeff

Had same broken net access issue with KB951748 patch, uninstalled patch, and
net access worked again. Went to ZoneAlarm website, downloaded
zaSuiteSetup_70_483_000_en.exe and installed the new build. Reinstalled
KB951748 and all is well. So the problem was with ZA is resolved in build
70_483.

Unknown

What poppycock! Talk facts not your emotions.
Bferrari said:
ZoneAlarm has posted a new version of their firewall software that
worksaround this Microsoft hotfix issue. I'm sure many software companies
are getting tired of all this, which is probably why there are so many
users
switching to Linux or MacOS.

Bob

Unknown

What other firewall are you using?
fieldmouse said:
I don't have Zone Alarm installed and this update freezes my access to
internet and to my Outlook for email.

Lee Antony

Anthony Buckland said:
I've just installed 7.0.483.000, and the outstanding MIcrosoft updates.
Everything seems to be working ok so far. Thanks to ZoneAlarm for
their swift action.
Swift action?
Checkpoint had knowledge of this update four months ago. They did nothing to
help their users until disaster came upon them. Maybe an error in timing
but still shame on them.

John

Lee Antony said:
Swift action?
Checkpoint had knowledge of this update four months ago.

Do you have any proof (URL)?
They did nothing to help their users until disaster
came upon them. Maybe an error in timing but still shame on them.

How were they supposed to release a fix for something that wasn't "broken"
back then?

Matt

I got the email from Zone Alarm as well and downloaded the new update.
Rebooted. Did not fix the problem. I also removed the KB951748 update.
Rebooted. Did not fix the problem.

Weird thing is that I can use Firefox and Outlook Express just fine. The
problem is with IE and just about all other programs that need to access the
internet. I can't even use the ZA update feature since it sees not internet
connection.

Why would only Firefox work but nothing else sees my internet connection?

MowGreen said:
You're mowst welcome, Clive. The issue that KB951748 addresses is *not*
trivial. Sadly, the bad gUyZ will be exploiting it when they can either
reverse engineer the update or, when specific details are released.
Here's an interesting read by the person who has been investigating it:
http://www.doxpara.com/?p=1162

There's a DNS checker that one can use to see if having the update
applied mitigates the issue.

BTW, I doubt that the Mike Nash associated with Online Armor is the same
Mike Nash that I'm familiar with. The latter is the VP of Windows
Product Management.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

'MowGreen [MVP said:
;3150788']I've installed it to 4 different XP versions ... Home, Pro,
and
MediaCenter with no issue.
Perhaps a rebuild of the winsock stack would resolve the issue ?

BTW, Mike Nash is now affiliated with a company that just came out with

a firewall. The free version is he
http://tinyurl.com/34d8b4

Knowing Mike, I ***highly*** doubt that any product he would be
associated with has as many issues as Zone Alarm has with updating
Windows. ZA has gone waaayyy downhill since Checkpoint acquired it.

Just my 2¢

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

R. McCarty wrote:
-
The issue is with KB951748. It's advisable to unselect it as part of
the
5 updates available today or uninstall if already applied. ( IF your
PC
is using Zone Alarm ).

Cannot say if the hotfix causes issues on PC's that do not have Zone
Alarm installed.

"swassociates" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message

-
I've experienced the same problem. I also posted the problem on the
ZoneAlarm
website.

:

-
Just a little info. Be careful of today's Microsoft Updates on
machines
that are using Zone Alarm Free ( Version 7.0.462 ) after rebooting the
Zone Alarm client will block almost every web access with an alert.
Still investigating and trying the newer 7.0.473 version to see if it
will
rectify the situation.

Thanks for the thumbs up on online Armor.
after installing the new Microsoft update i was no longer able to go
online.

zonalarm has not been good lately and i have now downloaded online
Armor.
this seems to be a great Firewall

Many thanks for the info.
Clive.

Matt

I got the email from Zone Alarm as well and downloaded the new ZA update.
Rebooted. Did not fix the problem. I also removed the KB951748 update.
Rebooted. Did not fix the problem.

I turned off the Auto Update feature in XP.

Weird thing is that I can use Firefox and Outlook Express. Why do those
work?? The problem is with IE and just about all other programs that need to

R. McCarty wrote:
-
[...]

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Please begin a new thread about /your/ problems, matt. Thanks.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net

-