Microsoft Security Essentials

Reaction score
Is anybody else here been using or had a look at Microsoft Security Essentials yet ?
I downloaded it and installed it on my other halfs laptop for her when I installed Windows 7 for her over the weekend. So fart I am really impressed. Very easy to setup. Easy to navigate your way around etc. Also there seems to be no lag on the laptop while running a full scan and still using the laptop. Before whe the computer had W7 RC on it and Kaspersky it was a nightmare to try and use while KIS was doing a scan. Scans also sem to fly by.
Anyway I will be having a good look around it voer the next week or so to see whats what in the pot and shall report back wiht anything I see that might be of interest..

Microsoft.png

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Ye had it on the other halfs lappy, seems ok, though i have read something about it not being as good as first expected and that the free version is not as good as the paid one. (tbh i didn't know there was a paid for version)

Reaction score
Security Essientials is the replacement for OneCare, (OneCare had 2 versions, 1 paid and 1 free), however Security Essientials only exists as a free version. The whole point of it is to provide basic protection for people who don't want to spend anything... even on pirate copies. The majority of zombies etc are running illegal versions of Windows and MS have actually done something sensible. They acknowledge that they will never stop piracy and the only way to reduce wild infections is to provide the pirated versions some protection.

Virus infection works exactly like real illnesses, once 80% are immunised outbreaks become minimal. This is one of the reasons why being vaccinated isn't essiential, it's a percentages and possibilities game.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I think you will find one needs to "verify" you have a genuine copy of Windows before it allows you to install. I may have misread. ;)

One thing I have noticed, however, is, it's not a bad free AV as some I could mention ... I can recommend it.

:)

Reaction score
Aye it may have changed.... all I know is what I read about it a while back.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Ah just stumbled over the thread/post.. I was on the right lines, but not quite right. :)

Further to my post in the Avast v MSE thread. I received a spam email this morning with a trojan attached, which MSE failed to detect. I updated the definitions and scanned the file manually, and MSE again told me the file contained no threats.

I submitted the sample to MS direct, and have just received an email telling me that if I scanned the file with another one of their clients (paid for?) it would have detected it. :\ Apparently, this trojan has been in their database since June 2009. So why did MSE let it through?

I'm back with Avira, thanks all the same.

Originally Posted by Email from MS
Thank you for your submission. Analysis of the file(s) in your submission (MMPC09102257406199) is now complete and this is the final email that you will receive regarding this submission. You can view your submission online at http://www.microsoft.com/security/po...3-355F5690EC0D

The Microsoft Malware Protection Center (MMPC) has investigated the following file(s) which we received on 10/22/2009 3:03:09 AM Pacific Time.
If you were to scan the files you submitted using Microsoft's Forefront Client Security product, you would see relevant detection information similar to what is displayed below.
The detection results for the file(s) in your submission are as follows:

Submitted Files
=============================================
DHL_print_label_24d5f.exe [TrojanDownloader:Win32/Bredolab.X]

The following links contain more information regarding the detections listed above:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?link...n32/Bredolab.X

Your submission was scanned using antimalware definition version 1.69.18.0.
The most current released antimalware definition update is always available for download at the following location:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=110446

If you have questions relating to this submission please contact (e-mail address removed) and reference your submission ID.

Thank you,
Microsoft Malware Protection Center
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=15150088&postcount=303

Reaction score
Installed on my work pcnot log after it was released. It's ok, nice clean and simple UI. Can't say that I have noticed it slowing my PC down or anything. So it gets my vote :thumb:

APK

Reaction score
I use it, it's pretty good!

Per my subject-line above? I have been using it for ruoghly 3 months now (well, since whenever Windows 7 released that is rather) &?

I think it's PRETTY GOOD!

APK

P.S.=> Updated regularly, does well in reviews, & fairly fast (fast enough) + does the job: What more could a person want!

Oh, did I mention it's 100% FREE too? It is... BONUS!

(Plus, you can even download & store its update files from this location @ MS (if you're averse to running autoupdates etc. et al) -> http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/Definitions/ADL.aspx ) ... apk

Reaction score
I think it's great. Seems to just sit quietly and do it's job and no nag screens. I've never had a problem with it in the couple of months it's been installed.

Reaction score
I have used Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 & 2010.....I recently reinstalled XP on my PC so need to install A Virus software again.....I can have Kaspersky for free as I am a Barclays online customer but I'm wondering if I should do this or go for Micrisoft Security Essentials combined with free Comodo Firewall.

What I liked about Kaspersky is the fact that is was an all in one program and provided "real time" protection but it did confuse me a bit though, for example when it detected a virus I didn't know how to "manually" Delete it the way you do with Malwarebytes for example by going to "Qurantine" and selecting "Delete".........any suggestion on which one I should go for?

Thank you.

Jay

Ask a Question