Microsoft Security Essentials (BETA)

StephenB

I saw that in the forum. It is an amusing reply, to say the least. The fact that
MSE's protection crashes points to a problem with MSE, but that's simply because
it is losing the battle it is waging to gain access to every file being opened
and scanned by the other program. When two programs want to look at all the bits
of a file or process, only one can win while the other waits. In most cases this
means that you'll just see a CPU suck, meaning that the processor is working
overtime, in others one of the programs will crash. In the scenario you
encountered the crash of MSE.
-steve

Stu

With respect Stephen it did not recommend anything during the installation
process - it didn`t even tell me it was uninstalling Defender. By that
comment I am trying to place myself in the shoes of an average user who would
like to install MSE rather than an IT professional or even MVP who are likely
to be well read people on the subject. It just chugged away before telling me
it could not proceed further with installation due to the possibility of
other MS Antimalware software installed, listing Forefront or One Care as
possible causes - neither of which I have. Point is , it would be really nice
if ;

1. The installer was a little more user friendly. We are in Beta with MSE I
accept.

2. It was is/not beyond the realms of possibilty to try MSE without the need
to totally uninstall your existing security software. A duanting very
decisive step for some home users. Disabling RTP in third party software
doesn`t make any difference.

Example of what I`m talking about from the MSE support page:

Step 1: Remove any existing Internet security programs
In Windows XP, click Start, click Run, type appwiz.cpl, and then press ENTER.

–or–

In Windows Vista or Windows 7, click Start, click in the Start Search box,
type appwiz.cpl, and then press ENTER.

In the list of installed programs, uninstall any third-party Internet
security programs.*

Restart your computer, and then try to install Microsoft Security Essentials
again.

Stu

Stu

The only software the installer specifically mentioned was One Care and
Forefront as being culprits. However, what it didn`t mention was anything
about Defender being uninstalled as part of the installation process. I
should have guessed! It wasn`t until after the failed installation I noticed
my defender icon was missing from the desktop. Further investigation revealed
it was missing from Control Panel also in spite of RTP being disabled.

On the third party software front. There are none specifically mentioned on
the MSE support site. The article seems to imply ALL third party security
programs should be removed but then some links indicate they may be disabled.
which reminds me. On my system I disabled NAV 2009 and Defender RTP and have
killed ZA completely. Made not the slightest difference. My other AS progs
are all on demand. I should remind myself it is in beta;)

Here`s an extract of what they say.

Step 1: Remove any existing Internet security programs
In Windows XP, click Start, click Run, type appwiz.cpl, and then press ENTER.

–or–

In Windows Vista or Windows 7, click Start, click in the Start Search box,
type appwiz.cpl, and then press ENTER.

In the list of installed programs, uninstall any third-party Internet
security programs.

Restart your computer, and then try to install Microsoft Security Essentials
again.

The error code I get is 0x8004FF37

Here`s a communities support link if you don`t already have it although I
haven`t investigated further yet.

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/helpTechnical.aspx

Stu

Stu

Well. On my system it does - trust me on this one as you guys would say. That
applies to whether or not Defender is in RTP or on demand mode. Read my
response to Bill S above. I`ve reinstalled WD three times now following an
equal number unsuccessful attempts to install MSE. However, I`m very
impressed at how WD reinstalls and updates its defs without incident.

I do try to remember MSE is still in beta. Maybe a bit more work to be done
here me thinks ;)

Stu

Stephen Boots MVP-Windows Live

No, it disables (Vista/7) or removes(XP) Defender already. When it
doesn't that's a bug. Defender and MSE share the same engine at the
core, so it needs to be removed.
-steve

Stephen Boots MVP-Windows Live

The installer does not do a check - that's by design. The OneCare
installer has a check, but the problem is that it doesn't detect all
potentially conflicting software. It has been a few weeks since my
last MSE install, but I believe that it does include verbiage about
removing antivirus software before proceeding. It could be more
strongly worded. I also realize that many people won't be reading
dialogs anyway. I've seen many people blow through them and simply
click OK/Accept/Continue.
I also realize that uninstalling current protection does freak some
people out. It will be a problem no matter how it is addressed. And,
with many security suites and uninstall isn't always very clean and a
utility needs to be obtained and run - that includes OneCare, by the
way.
If you want to give feedback during the beta about your experience,
filing a bug report on Connect would be the best way to do so.
I agree that the current install process will lead to problems for
people already running other security software, but I don't know of a
good solution exists for handling it better since the experience in
OneCare with the check for conflicts doesn't always work either.
-steve

Stu

Yes you are quite right - it does. Reference the need to uninstall other
Internet Security Software which I find a very generic term meaning
variously? AS/AV (we know) and what else I wonder? I`m probably being too
skeptical. I fully undestand what you mean by the OK/Accept/Continue
tendency when installing software. The small print and warning dialogs can
be seen by some as more a nuisance value than caution. Just want to see the
newly acquired software up and running with an anticipation unimaginable.
Dialogs? An irritation factor along the way.

Some links on the MSE support site also suggest OR disable which has not
worked for me. My concern on here was to highlight this also includes WD and
that MS doesn`t always `come clean` with it`s motives for doing anything
although they do seem to have got better at listening. On the AV front
Symantec are already making distant rumbles over the intro of MSE. Guess
that`s business. I`ll certainly post to Connect and to the MSE communities
site. Many thanks for your input.

Stu

robinb

wait a sec on the beta forum it states it will not remove WD until final
beta
I am running it on xp and windows 7 and both still have WD enabled
lots on the beta forum are seeing the same thing
robin

Stephen Boots MVP-Windows Live

Yes, there have been reports of it not being disabled or removed, but
there are more reports of it having been disabled and removed. It is
*supposed* to be disabled or removed when MSE is installed. If it
didn't get disabled, you should do so. I believe that there is no
harm in having it running, other than possible performance issues
since it is using the same core engine.
-steve

From G. Lambelle re MSE

Randy Knobloch said:
<canned>
Antivirus definitions: 1.61.411.0
Antispyware definitions: 1.61.411.0
Microsoft Security Essentials Version: 1.0.1407.0
Antimalware Client Version: 2.0.5612.0
Engine Version: 1.1.4803.0
http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/
Update using the program's updater or manually download MSE/MSAM definitions from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971606
</canned>

To Whom this might concern,

I use this as a last resort in my infuriated helplessness at being unable to
batter down the defence mechanisms I meet when I try to get rid of the
non-working Microsoft Security Essentials. It seemed to work for a while
because nothing happened (i.e. several weeks). Then it decided that my
perfectly reputable, legal and valid Windows system was NOT legal. Windows
own system disagreed, but MSE insisted. Worse, when I tried to uninstall it,
the ADD'REMOVE programmes would not uninstall it byu simply saying itwas
unable to continue. Over a period of a fortnight I have got nowhere, with
useless and irrelevant FAQs, advice to do something I had already done,
including, incredibly "how" to use the add /remove programmes system, which I
had already explained was not working,..... and so on and so on. This
includes "advice" which I had already taken via E-mails to which I was not
allowed to reply, although infuriated abuse is now thoroughly in order, even
though I am sure it would be used as an excuse not to reply -- which is what
is effectivelyk happening anyway. I have used the diagnostic systems three
times and am currently awaiting my latest results, having received no
This,therefore, is a warning to all. Beward of Microsoft Security
Essentials. If there is a bug on my computer causing all this, MSE didn't
find it. MSE took over from a system which had served me well, but was
expensive. I changed to MSE simply because as a pensioner I fell for the
publicity surrounding it being FREE. Goodness knows what it has cost me in
terms of reduction of life span through the stress, tension and pressure it
has created.
Stay away from Microsoft Security Essentials. For me it has been a
disgraceful disaster, is still on my computer because it won't go away, and
clearly DID NOT WORK
As a result of all this I have been attempting to get the following E-mail
accepted by anybody, anywhere within Microsoft. I have no idea if it has
ever been received.

The result was the following E-mail, which has been ignored.To Whom it might ever concern among the disinterested within the non-help
obstructive pseudo system within Microsoft otherwise known as a brick wall,

I have used all the online "assistance" Nothing has come back which has
helped. I am supposed to be receiving some kind of contact from somebody,
somewhere in Microsoft. I am not holding my breath. I simply want to be rid
of Microsoft Security Essentials which has taken up more of my time during
the past fortnight than anything else in my life.
I need either a telephone call or a proper, sensible contact through
exchanges of E-mails until this matter of SHIFTING MICROSOFT SECURITY
ESSENTIALS out of my system. I never had such trouble until I made the huge
error of believing that it would work permanently. It apparently DID work
for some weeks until it decided that my Windows system was illegal or
invalid. Then followed the merry go round in which Microsoft validation
process found it was OK. Then I tried to switch on MSE, which said my
Windows system was illegal. At a later stage, it began to demand that my
non-existent Microsoft Office was checked. Incredibly it found -- CORRECTLY
-- that it was NOT there, but began to insist that I buy it and actually had
the cheek and impudence to give me details of where to buy it.
I will not buy something I do not want. The threat which WAS carried out
was that MSE claimed to be switched off, thus leaving my computer
unprotected. AFter a lot of trouble I have installed another system. The
so-called "Switched off or disabled" MSE, now bombards me with pop ups
falsely claiming that my computer is unprotected. If the claim IS correct,
then it is interfering with my new virus protection system and might even
have prevented a new firewall from being installed. I am not sure. What I
AM sure about is that I want rid of Microsoft Security Essentials on the
grounds that it does not work, interferes with my computer, is party to
blackmail by trying to force me to buy something I do not want and, overall,
is a complete and utter nuisance, waste of time and cause of, up to now,
unending infuriation because Microsoft has depended so long on the FAQ system
of offering brilliant replies to questions I never asked.
I REQUIRE THAT MICROSOFT SECURITY ESSENTIALS IS REMOVED PERMANENTLY AND FOR
EVER FROM MY SYSTEM. WHEN I TRY TO REMOVE IT THROUGH THE ADD/REMOVE
PROGRAMMES SYSTEM, IT REFUSES TO DO IT, BY SIMPLY SAYING THAT THE OPERATION
CANNOT BE COMPLETED. WHEN I ATTEMPTED TO GET A RESPONSE TO THIS YOUR
RESIDENT GENIUS CLEARLY NEVER READ THE DETAIL OF WHAT I ASKED BY I WAS THEN
TOLD GO TO ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMMES AND FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS -- OR WORDS TO
THAT EFFECT. MY RESPONSE WAS ACCURATE, TO THE POINT AND NOT, REPEAT NOT
ABUSIVE, EVEN THOUGH THE RESPONDENT THOROUGHLY DESERVED IT.
I am still trying to get this matter resolved. Up to now we have passed
two full weeks. I doubt whether this E-mail will receive a response. I
have been accurately making this comment at the end of a string of attempts.
An easy solution will be for me to take my computer to some real experts and
pay for it to be put right. I will not do this until I receive an address
from Microsoft to where I can forward the bill for immediate payment.
This is from...
.....George Lambelle, a thoroughly sickened user of as little Microsoft
systems as possible from this moment on.

Robin

I have MSE on many client computers including my own, with no problems at
all. I am sorry you are having a problem but if you go to to Microsofts
official site for MSE there are people who could help you figure out how to
uninstall it
The official site is
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/mse
robin

"From G. Lambelle re MSE" <From G. Lambelle re

Randy Knobloch

Robin wrote:
<snip>

See prior post Steve Boots has shown OP her/his thread at MSE Forum.

Randy Knobloch

robinb said:
his post did not show up on my reader until after I posted mine

What do you use to read news posts, Windows Live Mail ?
You can refresh the account *before* you post just like you would using
Outlook Express.

Done deal anyway :)

Randy Knobloch

robinb said:
I know but I was in a hurry when I posted that ;)

*At the risk of sounding like a broken record *

Would look at your checkbook before you sent the same cheque twice ?

robinb

umm that is a bit different then posting to a newsgroup
a check duplicated is a lot more frustrating
posting, well is just posting
robin