Microsoft Posts Critical Security Fixes

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Microsoft Posts Critical Security Fixes

Jun 12, 4:01 PM (ET)

By JESSICA MINTZ

SEATTLE (AP) - Microsoft Corp. (MSFT) released four critical patches Tuesday to plug security holes in several versions of its Windows operating system, Internet Explorer Web browser and other programs.

The patches that carried Microsoft's highest security warning all are to prevent malicious hackers from remotely taking control of computers without permission.

Three of the patches aim to protect Windows users who unwittingly expose their computers to attack by visiting Web pages infected with malicious code, or look at similarly tainted e-mails with Outlook Express or Windows Mail. A fourth patch prevents hackers from gaining remote access to PCs by installing a specially crafted program.

Two of these critical updates fix holes in the company's newest operating system, Windows Vista, which Microsoft has touted as the most secure ever.

Vista went on sale to consumers at the end of January; in April, Microsoft broke its once-monthly update schedule with an emergency fix after Microsoft and security experts found that hackers were exploiting a hole in the way Vista and other versions of Windows handle animated cursor files.

Besides the critical fixes, Microsoft released a patch for its Visio program for making diagrams and a vulnerability in Windows that could allow unauthorized users to break into computers to steal passwords and other user information.

Microsoft also released seven non-security, high-priority updates Tuesday, including a monthly update to a tool that removes harmful software from PCs.

:user:

muckshifter

Reaction score
Interesting that Microsoft wouldn't allow one to download any updates (XP) without installing their latest Validation Tool.

:lol:

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Interesting that Microsoft wouldn't allow one to download any updates (XP) without installing their latest Validation Tool.

:lol:

i just had to do that, why is it interesting ?

muckshifter

Reaction score
Me__2001 said:
i just had to do that, why is it interesting ?
LoL ... why do we need it ... everytime you update, you have to "validate" your software ... oh, sorry, it ain't your software, it belongs to MS, so I suppose they can do what they like on your PC. ;)

MS change their minds like I change my underwear ... often. :lol:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
MS change their minds like I change my underwear ... often. :lol:

That really is an image I could do without thinking about :eek:

Microsoft/Schmicroschoft - blah

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
SEATTLE (AP) - Microsoft Corp. (MSFT) released four critical patches Tuesday to plug security holes in several versions of its Windows operating system, Internet Explorer Web browser and other programs.

Can I assume that these will come through on the automatic updates from MS?

muckshifter

Reaction score
nivrip said:

Can I assume that these will come through on the automatic updates from MS?
If you have MS Auto-Update turned on, then yes, it should ... but one can still just go to Windows Update.

:thumb:

Reaction score
IE 7 Huh..... I installed the updates validation etc:> go to MS and wait for it! Wait for it>

please re-set up your account by logging on> pass word Etc: Funny I thought ain`t registered to use IE 7 before? ignored it and yep it would not allow access to IE7.... Out it is gone and back on IE6? when they get it correct I may go back to IE7..... Any one else had this happen????????

Ask a Question