Microsoft Office Professional 2007-Outlook won't open

I used my Outlook last night. When I went to open it this morning, it opened
briefly and then closed and a message box popped up saying "Cannot start
Microsoft Office Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook Window. The set of
folders cannot be opened. Errors have been detected in the file" Then it
tells me to "Quit Outlook and all mail-enabled applications, and then use the
Inbox Repair tool (Scanpst.exe) to diagnose & repair errors in the file."

I've checked on this site on where to find the Inbox Repair Tool, but my
folder lists don't match. I have Vista installed on my computer & am running
Office Professional 2007. Can anyone help me?

Judy Gleeson \(MVP Outlook\)

You need to "search" on your computer for scanpst.exe

I am not sure what the search/find function is called on Vista. :( but hope
you know where to find it.

Then run scanpst.exe.

Judy Gleeson
MVP Outlook
Trainer and Consultant

read my articles here: www.judygleeson.com
Canberra, Australia

how to post questions: http://support.microsoft.com/?id=555375

"The Franchise Detective" <The Franchise
news:[email protected]...

Thanks Judy. I found the scanpst file, but I'm a technical illiterate. I
don't know what you mean by run scanpst.exe. When I browse the file scanpst,
the only folders I can scan are my documents not Outlook. If I put
scanpst.exe in, a box comes us that says, "The file C:\Program
Files\Microsoft Office Outlook\Outlook 12\scanpst.exe is read-only. You can
scan the file but you do not have permission to repair it. Do you want to
scan the file anyway?" Do I?

Am I do this right? I don't think any of my document files are the problem.
I just can't open Outlook.

Help!

Brian Tillman

I used my Outlook last night. When I went to open it this morning,
it opened briefly and then closed and a message box popped up saying
"Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook
Window. The set of folders cannot be opened. Errors have been
detected in the file" Then it tells me to "Quit Outlook and all
mail-enabled applications, and then use the Inbox Repair tool
(Scanpst.exe) to diagnose & repair errors in the file."

I've checked on this site on where to find the Inbox Repair Tool, but
my folder lists don't match.

For Office 2007, SCANPST should be in under %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft
Office\Office12

Brian Tillman

Thanks Judy. I found the scanpst file, but I'm a technical
illiterate. I don't know what you mean by run scanpst.exe. When I
browse the file scanpst, the only folders I can scan are my documents
not Outlook. If I put scanpst.exe in, a box comes us that says, "The
file C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office Outlook\Outlook 12\scanpst.exe
is read-only. You can scan the file but you do not have permission
to repair it. Do you want to scan the file anyway?"

You don't want to scan SCANPST.EXE with itself. You want to scan your PST,
which should be in %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Outlook, probably called
Outlook.pst, but it can have any filename, not just "Outlook". The
extension, of course, must be ".pst".

Thanks for the info Brian, but we're going to have to start from the
beginning. I'm serious when I say I'm a technical illiterate. It's as
thought you're speaking another language :) Where do I start to scan my pst
file? Can you walk me through it step-by-step?

Brian Tillman

Thanks for the info Brian, but we're going to have to start from the
beginning. I'm serious when I say I'm a technical illiterate. It's
as thought you're speaking another language :) Where do I start to
scan my pst file? Can you walk me through it step-by-step?

Run scanpst. You already know how to to that because you said you ran it
once already. When it asks for your PST, enter the path I already gave you.
It's not rocket science.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you, Brian! I recovered my Outlook!! You don't
know how happy you've made me!

Catalyst

The Franchise Detective said:
I used my Outlook last night. When I went to open it this morning, it opened
briefly and then closed and a message box popped up saying "Cannot start
Microsoft Office Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook Window. The set of
folders cannot be opened. Errors have been detected in the file" Then it
tells me to "Quit Outlook and all mail-enabled applications, and then use the
Inbox Repair tool (Scanpst.exe) to diagnose & repair errors in the file."

I've checked on this site on where to find the Inbox Repair Tool, but my
folder lists don't match. I have Vista installed on my computer & am running
Office Professional 2007. Can anyone help me?

Catalyst

I have the same problem but when I go to Program Files/Microsoft
Office/Office12 I don't find a Scanpst file. I, too, have Office 2007
running on Vista. Any new ideas?

Thanks

WMayo

I'm having the same problem. I recently upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate, and
have had no problem with Outlook until yesterday (having run on Windows 7 for
over a week). When I try to open, I get "Can't open the Outlook window"
error.

I've run scanpst - it found and fixed errors, but that didn't solve the
problem.

I'm open for any suggestions!

Diane Poremsky said:
See http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/scanpst.htm

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

(e-mail address removed)

newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.

Catalyst said:
I have the same problem but when I go to Program Files/Microsoft
Office/Office12 I don't find a Scanpst file. I, too, have Office 2007
running on Vista. Any new ideas?

Thanks

Roady [MVP]

Start Outlook with the resetnavpane switch;
Start-> type; outlook.exe /resetnavpane

Diane Poremsky said:
See http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/scanpst.htm

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

(e-mail address removed)

http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx or point
your

:

[...]

Thanks Roady!!!!!!!!!!! Nothing else I have researched and tried has worked,
but this did!

Diane Poremsky said:
[...]

You're welcome! :)

WMayo said:
[...]

wangdong

I have encountered the similar problem some days before. I found a
good tool called Advanced Outlook Repair. You can download a free demo
version at http://www.datanumen.com/aor/aor.exe . I think it is a
useful repair tool for you. It is easy to recover your PST file by
using its wizard. It is a powerful tool to recover messages, folders
and other objects from corrupt or damaged Microsoft Outlook PST
files.

Detailed information about Advanced Outlook Repair can be found at
http://www.datanumen.com/aor/

Wangdong