Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 Fails

WillW

I have installed SP2 and am now trying to install the critical updates from
Windows Update. I am using Windows Update to install Microsoft .NET
Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1. Every time it is failing with error code 643.
I have now tried to manually download it and install it. I get an error
message that indicates "The feature you are trying to use is on a network
resource that is unavailable. Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate
path to a folder containing the installation package 'netfx.msi' in the box
below." The netfx.msi file is not on my system, therefore I cannot change
anything in the browse to help. If you continue from this point, you get
"Error 1706. No valid source could be found for product Microsoft .NET
Framework 1.1."

Help...

Mark Wilson

If .NET Framework 1.1 was installed from WindowsUpdate, the installation of
SP1 from WindowsUpdate will sometimes fail. To correct the problem and get
both .NET Framework 1.1 and SP1 to install, do the following:

1) Create a folder named "Framework" in the root of the C: drive
a) Open my Computer
b) Right click on "Local Disk C:" and select "Open"
c) At the top of the Windows select "File" -> "New" -> "Folder"
d) This will create a new folder and leave the cursor in the folders box
- name it "Framework"

2) Download the Microsoft .Net Framework v1.1 -
http://microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=262D25E3-F589-4842-8157
-034D1E7CF3A3&displaylang=en and save it to the folder C:\Framework

3) Download the Microsoft .Net Framework v1.1.4322 Service Pack 1 -
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=a8f5654f-088e-40b2-
bbdb-a83353618b38&displaylang=en and save it to the folder C:\Framework

4) Extract the Required files by running the following commands from the
Start-Run dialog:

C:\Framework\dotnetfx.exe /t:c:\framework\extracted\ /c

5) Turn off any Anti-Virus or 3rd Party Firewall software

6) Clear the Temp Folder:
a) Select "Start" -> "Run"
b) Type "%temp%" without the quotes and select OK
c) Delete all files found and if they won't delete continue to the next

7) Install the .NET Framework 1.1 SP1 from
c:\framework\NDP1.1sp1-KB867460-X86.exe, if this fails for any reason
please do the following and forward me the resulting c:\sp1.log.

8) Extract the SP into the root of C using the following command from the
Start-> Run dialog:

C:\Framework\NDP1.1sp1-KB867460-X86.exe /xp:c:

9) Run the following to install with logging using the following command
from the Start-> Run dialog:

msiexec /p c:\S867460.msp /l*v c:\sp1.log REINSTALL=ALL

***if the file is not found please run the following as we have seen some
systems extract the file to the local folder instead***

msiexec /p c:\framework\S867460.msp /l*v c:\sp1.log REINSTALL=ALL

10) If prompted for the "netfx.msi" browse to the location
c:\framework\extracted\netfx.msi, Installation should continue without
error.

Mark Wilson [MS]
rights."