Microsoft changes tune on selling DRM-free songs

M

MICHAEL

http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20070406/tc_infoworld/87492

Company's been talking with record labels for 'some time'

San Francisco (IDGNS) - Following digital music pioneer Apple's lead yet again, Microsoft said
this week it will soon sell digital music online without DRM (digital rights management)
protection.
Microsoft's apparent change of heart on selling DRM-free music came in response to Apple's deal
earlier in the week to sell unprotected content from recording company EMI. The company
previously claimed that DRM was necessary for current and emerging digital media business
models.

"The EMI announcement on Monday was not exclusive to Apple," said Katy Asher, a Microsoft
spokeswoman on the Zune team. She said that Microsoft has been talking with not only EMI but
other record labels "for some time now" about offering unprotected music on its Zune players in
an effort to meet the needs of its customers.

"Consumers have made it clear that unprotected music is something they want," Asher said. "We
plan on offering it to them as soon as our label partners are comfortable with it."

In February, Apple CEO and founder Steve Jobs stirred up controversy when he called for the end
to DRM in an open letter to the industry published on Apple's Web site. At the time, Microsoft
responded harshly to Jobs' statement -- a Zune spokesman called it naive and irresponsible --
but now the company seems to have literally changed its tune.

Microsoft released Zune and its corresponding Zune Marketplace last November as a competitor to
iPod and iTunes. Early reports on sales of the device show it has done little to cut into
iPod's market share, but Microsoft executives have maintained that the company's investment in
Zune is long term and the product was not expected to overtake the iPod immediately.

D

Dustin Harper

It's a step in the right direction... I still want to support my favorite
artists, but won't support RIAA's frivolous lawsuits. So, I won't buy music
until their crusades are done.

S

Shane Nokes

Microsoft didn't "change their tune"

As I've stated before, as have various others, Bill Gates prefers selling
music without DRM.

The fact of the matter though is that labels, until recently, wouldn't deal
with anyone who didn't "protect" the music.

That's the entire reason behind protected wma in the first place.

Now that the labels are willing to deal with DRM-free tracks of course MS
will jump on it since they are mostly anti-drm when it comes to media files
in the first place.

M

MICHAEL

You're a funny little man, Shane.

I bet it physically, mentally, and emotionally makes you
sick to hear or read anything negative about Microsoft,
even articles that aren't really negative.

You remind me of those fools on the left and the right
who are never wrong and will tell you so. Be it Al Bore
or Bumpkin Bush, they're all the same. Now comes
Shithead Shane. Pity you.

-Michael

Ask a Question