$mft problem anyone?

leia176

Does anyone know what's going on here? Please! Any ideas are appreciated!

I had:
Winxp updated to latest
ABIT iT7 Max2 Ver 2.
1gb Crucial ram
2.4 gh intel
Ati radeon 8500
Soundblaster audigy 2
2 ide drives
2 sata drives

I started getting "$MFT" errors (master file table?) first on one of my sata
drives. Occasionally other drives. The sata port went out completely.
Everytime this would happen I'd reboot and windows would go through this
whole scan disk type thing recovering orphaned files.

At first I thought the drive was bad, and then the port was bad, but it was
happening on all my drives!

Since that board definitely had a bad port I went for an:

Win XP updated to latest
ASUS P4p800 deluxe
used an old ati rage videocard just for installing
no sound yet
2 ide drives
2 sata drives

SAME THING IS HAPPENING! I even lost data on one of the sata drives I
transferred over.

Are all my drives going bad at once? They are all pretty new..within a year
old.

Could this possibly be a ram or cpu problem?

PWY

Did you Defrag ?

Stephan Grossklass said:
leia176 said:
Does anyone know what's going on here? Please! Any ideas are
appreciated!
[snip]

Might be a memory problem.
http://www.memtest.org/

Stephan
--
Meine Andere Seite: http://stephan.win31.de/
PC#6: i440BX, 2xCel300A, 512 MiB, 18+80 GB, R9k AGP 64 MiB, 110W

somebody

[...]

Actually, I seem to remember having heard something about there being
"problems" with Intel 865, 875 chipsets and extreme hd setups. No
details, I'm afraid it goes in one ear, out the other...

Not sure that is it, but look around for fixes info on bios updates.

I also think you should still consider one drive might be bad... And
cables, of course.

ancra

Tim

In addition.

If it is a virus, then I recommend an fdisk and reinstall of everything.
While you are in the process, go to the manufacturer's web site and see if
there is a disk drive testing tool, download it and run it to the max. This
will remove doubt that there are any problems with the drive.

If you are overclocking then reset the bios to standard settings.
Check your bios version - since it is a V2 board, you shouldn't have issues,
but who knows?

- Tim

DaveW

It's probably NOT the CPU going bad. CPU tend to be either fine or won't
work at all. It sounds to me like a RAM timing issue giving problems.
Either the model of RAM is incompatible with those boards or the two sticks
are mis-timing relative to each other. If you have two sticks of RAM I
would try independently removing one stick at a time, boot up, and see if it
will run OK with just one stick. Try that with each of the two sticks.

leia176

Thanks to all so far.

My bios is the most current. I highly doubt it is a virus because my Norton
is always updated, but I will scan my drives in another comp.

Currently I'm testing the ram one stick at a time as sugested by Stephan.
The comp was still doing mini-freezes even with only one stick and different
sticks in. As for the 865 chipset..i'm pretty sure the 1st asus board i had
was an 850 (off the top of my head).

If nothing shows with the ram I'm going to again reset the bios jumpers,
remove the battery..etc even though I did that. Then I'll change the cables.

Any other ideas please let me know! I appreciate it!

KCB

leia176 said:
[...]

What size drives are you using? How full are the drives?

Glenn M

[...]

Here is a tip from www.tastycomputers.com
Check out the following:
.. Data corruption may occur if the Large System Cache feature is
enabled in Windows XP.
This symptom does not occur on all systems, and is possible with any
system from any manufacturer that is running Windows XP. The key
ingredients that lead to this symptom may include:

System Memory greater than 512 Meg. (1 gigabyte of RAM is common)
Large NTFS disk volumes and/or multiple large volumes. (60-100
gigabyte hard drives possibly in RAID arrays)
AGP graphics with large AGP resource requirements (an AGP aperture
greater than default)
Large file transfers
This problem occurs when the computer runs out of system page table
entries. Windows determines (at boot time) the default number of page
table entries to assign, based on the amount of system memory
available. The items mentioned above all contribute to increasing the
number of page table entries that Windows XP must maintain and in
extreme cases the page table entries may be exhausted.

To avoid this symptom ensure the System Cache option is NOT selected
for Memory usage, but use the Programs option instead (default Windows
XP behavior):

Right-click on My Computer then select Properties to open the System
Properties dialog box.
Select the Advanced Tab then the Settings button under Performance.
Select the Advanced tab on the Performance options tab.
In the Memory Usage area, ensure the Programs radio button is selected
(this is the default setting with Windows XP.)
Apply the changes and select OK.

Hope this helps,
Glenn Montalbano

A GREAT DAY FOR FREEDOM...Pink Floyd

John Doe

Chris said:
SAME THING IS HAPPENING! I even lost data on one of the sata
drives I transferred over.

Always keep a backup copy (or two) of important data. That is
doubly true when things start going wrong or when doing major
operations.

Oldish Git

Chris said:
"leia176" wrote in message
[...]

bad memory is where i would start.

Win XP updated to latest
ASUS P4p800 deluxe
used an old ati rage videocard just for installing
no sound yet
2 ide drives
2 sata drives

SAME THING IS HAPPENING! I even lost data on one of the sata drives I
transferred over.

Are all my drives going bad at once? They are all pretty new..within a
year
old.

Could this possibly be a ram or cpu problem?

Probably a failing power supply if you are using the same one.
To test your RAM, boot to a memtest86 boot CD (freeware.)
The click you hear is probably the hard drives parking the
heads when the power to them is interrupted.
PSU faults are very, very, common.
HTH,

John Doe

You need to configure your Microsoft Windows Live Mail settings so
they properly quote text.

Paul

John said:
You need to configure your Microsoft Windows Live Mail settings so
they properly quote text.

He's using WLM 15, and that's how it works. (I check
the message headers all the time now, looking for WLM 15
users.)

It's not really a good tool for USENET. Going back
to WLM 14 is one solution (it works slightly better),
but a complete switch to a separate tool for USENET
posting is a better choice.

Microsoft is obviously working to mess up our USENET,
on purpose. After all, they had the "OE Quotefix"
solution years ago, for similar stupidity on their part.
They seem to have learned nothing in the interim.

http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/description.html

OE Quotefix, doesn't work with WLM. But the software
designer for WLM, should at least have known about it,
and how a previous Microsoft product, failed to comply.

Paul

VanguardLH

John said:
You need to configure your Microsoft Windows Live Mail settings so
they properly quote text.

Not possible when Microsoft "upgraded" to v15 of WLM. Quoting no longer
exists. Microsoft took a poor newsreader and made it worse.

Unless you want to deal scrambled mess of typically top-posted and
unquoted replies with mispositioned signatures (not at the end but in
the middle), you probably should filter out posters using WLM v15, or
later. I highlight them to realize the post will likely be a mess. My
filter looks like:

!setcolor(purple;silver) Header {^X-Newsreader: Microsoft Windows Live Mail (1[5-9]|1[0-9]{2,}|[2-9])}

Matches on versions 15 and up. Besides colorizing them, I could tag
them as Ignored (which means they won't be seen in my default view of
hiding ignored posts). If I just delete them then new posts to them
that show up later would be seen. If I want to ignore a post then it's
likely that I want to ignore the entire [sub]thread thereafter. Until I
decide later to ignore (and hide) the WLM posters as I now do with
Google Groupers, I'll just colorize them for now. Your Xnews client
supports regex, too, so you should be able to define something similar.

Microsoft is highly unlikely to ever fix the problem. They scrambled
away from Usenet. If they were smart, they would eventually just delete
all the NNTP support in WLM and force their users to find another
newsreader.

Shaun

"UJ" wrote in message

"leia176" wrote in message
[...]

same mb same amount of drives...5 actually 3 sata 2 ide

as others are now telling you its the psu!!!!

i had same problem.....probably your usb`s arent working right either!

I would suspect your power supply. Make sure you buy a replacement with
enough power, maybe 350 watt

shaun

John Doe

Shaun said:
"UJ" wrote in message
brightview.co.uk...

"leia176" wrote in message comcast.com...

[...]

A power supply wattage rating alone is practically meaningless,
since real output varies greatly among cheap and quality power
supplies.

Also... You need to get a real UseNet reader/client that properly
quotes material.

Paul

John said:
A power supply wattage rating alone is practically meaningless,
since real output varies greatly among cheap and quality power
supplies.

Also... You need to get a real UseNet reader/client that properly
quotes material.

Based on headers, Shaun is using WLM 15, a non-conforming USENET client.
There are plenty of other clients that work better. Even WLM 14 is better
at it.

Paul