Messnger 7.5 file transfer issues advice needed

Reaction score
Hi,

Recently my online friends and I have upgraded to messenger 7.5, and very nice it is too. However, file transfers are now causing problems.

Here are the details:

It used to work fine at full speed in both directions. Now I have the weird situation where I can send to them at full speed, but when they send to me, it's very slow (less than 1k second on a 1mb DSL connection with nothing else running).

I am behind a NAT router (US robotics 9105).

I understand that in this version of messenger upnp is used to open ports on the router. I have followed the instructions on a number of other posts to ensure all the UPNP xp components are installed and upnp is enabled in the router. I can see the icon for the USR gateway in "My Network Places" and it comes up as the internet gateway under network connections, where I can see throughput stats etc.

However it hasnt made any difference to my file transfers sent to me. They're still very slow. My friends claim they can send to each other at full speed.

So I'm beginning to think that my router's UPNP isnt working properly or isnt compatible with Messenger. Before I go out and spend money on a new router, is there any way I can be sure that it *is* my router's problem and not the guys at the other end?

Any advice gratefully received!

PS - although I appreciate that upnp is a nice touch, I think it would have been good if Microsoft had allowed the user to select an option to map fixed ports instead of using upnp for those people with these kind of problems. BG - are you listening?? :)

Ask a Question