Merging cells in a shared workbook......

Randy Lefferts

Excel 2003

I ran into something I haven't as of yet and am wondering
if it is due to working within a shared workbook.

I am unable to merge cells as the option to do so is
greyed out. The sheet is not protected by the protect
command.

Forgive me if this has been asked but since I access this
from work, I have to use the web browser and not an
actual reader and I haven't found the search function (if
there is one).

Thanks for any and all replies. :)

David McRitchie

I guess this is the question that Randy indicated
"I found the answer but thanks anyway :)"
without sharing the answer with others, regardless of how
obvious the answer might seem others would want to know.

It probably was obvious like unsharing the workbook, but
asking others to take their time to answer a question and
sharing when you find the answer is not contributing to the
success of a newsgroup.

I have a page on grayed out items
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/grayedout.htm
which can probably reduce the need for a lot of postings.

Randy Lefferts

I must have really done something terrible for you and
Don to "scold" me.

Was my answer within the "Nevermind...." post not enough?

I did state the "solution." I stated that it was due to
being shared. READ:Unshare it.

QUOTE:
It probably was obvious like unsharing the workbook, but
asking others to take their time to answer a question and
sharing when you find the answer is not contributing to
the success of a newsgroup.
UNQUOTE

So chastising users "IS" contributing to the success of a
newsgroup?

I guess this is the question that Randy indicated
"I found the answer but thanks anyway :)"
without sharing the answer with others, regardless of how
obvious the answer might seem others would want to know.

It probably was obvious like unsharing the workbook, but
asking others to take their time to answer a question and
sharing when you find the answer is not contributing to the
success of a newsgroup.

I have a page on grayed out items
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/grayedout.htm
which can probably reduce the need for a lot of postings.

"Randy Lefferts" <[email protected]>
wrote in message [email protected]...

David McRitchie

Hi Randy,
Not that we're trying to scold you -- it's just a matter of trying to
keep things moving smoothly. If you ask a question others are
either going to identify with the question or think that they have or
might have such a problem as well.

My reply should of course of been "and *not* sharing", which is what
I saw -- nothing, and still don't see that posting that you said you sent.

You mentioned search facility. There are two main places to search,
and your results will generally depend on how well you can use the
advanced features of search engines and how well you can
(and if you can) narrow a question down to relevant words unique to a problem.

-- Newsgroups: Google Groups
http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?q=group:*Excel*&num=100

-- Web Pages: Google Advanced search
http://www.google.com/advanced_search?lr=lang_en

My own pages for help on searching newsgroups:
Excel Newsgroups & Searching Newsgroups
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/xlnews.htm