Memory upgrade causing long processing time

The Doctor

We recently upgraded from 2GB to 4GB RAM on a Lenovo ThinkCentre A70

and the customer is reporting some Office files are hanging or taking
a long time to prcess.

What should I be looking for in terms of culprits?

Tim Slattery

We recently upgraded from 2GB to 4GB RAM on a Lenovo ThinkCentre A70

and the customer is reporting some Office files are hanging or taking
a long time to prcess.

What should I be looking for in terms of culprits?

If that's all that was done, then I'd look at the RAM. More RAM should
not slow anything down, as long as it's working properly. And there's
certainly no reason why office files would be affected and nothing
else.

PaulM

Is he running 32 bit or 64 bit??? If he is running 32 bit that is why it is
slowing down, 32 bit can only access 3 gb of ram.

--
Member - Liberal International This is (e-mail address removed) Ici
(e-mail address removed)

Ken Blake, MVP

Is he running 32 bit or 64 bit??? If he is running 32 bit that is why it is
slowing down, 32 bit can only access 3 gb of ram.

Two points:

1. It is not correct that 64-bit can only access 3GB of RAM. The
amount you can use varies, depending on what hardware you have
installed, but can range from as little as 2GB to as much as 3.5GB.
It's usually *around* 3.1GB.

2. Regardless of how much it can access, going from 2GB to 4GB doesn't
make the computer run more slowly.

Tim Slattery

PaulM said:
Is he running 32 bit or 64 bit??? If he is running 32 bit that is why it is
slowing down, 32 bit can only access 3 gb of ram.

He was using 2GB before, so being able to access another gig is *not*
going to slow things down! The gig that can't be access simply sits
there. it has no effect pro or con.

PaulM

If you go back to 2gb, what happpends??? It runs faster right!!!

Paul's XP and Vista Help
www.paulsxp.com
---------------------------------------
Paul's Forum
--------------------------------------
www.paulsxp.com/forum
--------------------------------------
"Tim Slattery" wrote in message

PaulM said:
Is he running 32 bit or 64 bit??? If he is running 32 bit that is why it
is
slowing down, 32 bit can only access 3 gb of ram.

He was using 2GB before, so being able to access another gig is *not*
going to slow things down! The gig that can't be access simply sits
there. it has no effect pro or con.

PaulM

I am waiting an answer... All he as to do is go back to 2 gb and I bet the
computer runs faster.

"Gene E. Bloch" wrote in message

If you go back to 2gb, what happpends??? It runs faster right!!!

Fie upon thee for suggesting an actual experiment!

And a clever one, at that.

Gene E. Bloch

I am waiting an answer... All he as to do is go back to 2 gb and I bet the
computer runs faster.

"Gene E. Bloch" wrote in message

Fie upon thee for suggesting an actual experiment!

And a clever one, at that.

Yes, an answer would be nice - but I guess not forthcoming :-(

PaulM

I guess not.

"Gene E. Bloch" wrote in message

I am waiting an answer... All he as to do is go back to 2 gb and I bet the
computer runs faster.

"Gene E. Bloch" wrote in message

Fie upon thee for suggesting an actual experiment!

And a clever one, at that.

Yes, an answer would be nice - but I guess not forthcoming :-(

Gene E. Bloch

Finally got over there today and it appears the system is working fine.

That's good news.

Do you mean you tried the suggested experiment with the reduced memory,
or is it mooted by the fact that it somehow reverted to spontaneously
working fine?

The Doctor

That's good news.

Do you mean you tried the suggested experiment with the reduced memory,
or is it mooted by the fact that it somehow reverted to spontaneously
working fine?

The latter.