Memo controls for Rich text formating(Help)

Robert

Hi there,
I am trying to find a control that I can pickoff from the
access toolbar list (by clicking on the icon with the
hammer and the 3 little dots when a form is in design
view) where the control's functionality can act like a
memo field but has a built in functionality such as
bolding, underlining.... some of the text, just like a
word processor. I don't know if this exists?

I tried a few activex controls from this list, but some
are not what I am looking for, some give me the following
error message "You don't have the licence required to use
this activex control" and some totaly confuse me because
nothing happens when I try them.

Someone told me that this control does exist, apparently
it is the same control that is used in Visual Basic, but
this does not really tell me how I can plug it in my form
or if I need to have VB installed in my machine so I can
get to see it in the Access toolbar list.

Also someone told me that there are several third party
softwares that sell this type of control for a whopping
350$ US. [*Quite a price to pay so I can bold a word in a
memo field!*]. Also why is it that I get that error when
I try to put certain controls on my form "You don't have
the licence required to use this activex control", If
this means that they all are controls that we must buy at
+/-350$ a pop, at this rate I don't know if I like Access
anymore.

Can some PLEASE help me clear this up once and for all!

Thanking you all in advance!

Robert.

..

Dan Artuso

Hi Robert,
Many programs on your PC use ActiveX controls. That is why you will see
quite a list.
This does not mean that you're licensed to use all of them in your own
programs.

It seems that the MS Rich Text Box Control comes with VB, not Access.
However, check this out to see if you can use it:
http://lebans.com/richtext.htm

HTH
Dan Artuso, MVP

Robert Thanking Dan MVP

Dan Artuso,

You were so helpfull, I just don't know how to thank you!
I down loaded it to my PC, installed it and pluged it
right on form from the tools bars list of activex
controls.

I don't thought why I got it free. Is it beacause its a
trial version? Anyhow, thankyou again, I appreciate it!

[...]

.

.

Stephen Lebans

The control is free because I think it is ridiculous that:

1) Microsoft does not include their control with every install of Access
2) The Microsoft control does not work in Print Preview
3) The FMS RTC control is too expensive

:)
--

HTH
Stephen Lebans

Robert Thanking Dan MVP said:
[...]

Fred

I agree with all your points and commend you on your control.

And I was wondering if there is any possibility in the world that you might
add the ability to change the tab sizes in the control at any point?

The .SelTabCount and .SelTabs attributes in the old MS RTF control handled
this - very poorly, but they handled it. I am terribly desperated for this
functionality.

Any help would be appreciated

- Chris Long

Stephen Lebans said:
[...]

It's definately on my list of props to add to the control. I think right
now I hardcoded the incremental tabstops at .25 inches.
When I first looked at this issue the problem was how to allow the end
user to easily pass an array of specific TAB stop values. It's easy to
add a property to allow the user to specify a single incrementing value
or to add a Dialog to allow the user to specify the TAB stop values in.
The problem was to allow this prop to be set programmatically from VB.

What's the exact functionality you think should exist?

--

HTH
Stephen Lebans

wrote in message news:%[email protected]...
[...]

message
[...]

I'm not honestly sure given the complexity of an RTF control. My needs are
rather simplistic, actually. I have SQL statements that are nicely formatted
using tab characters. All I need is a control that allows me to display this
text with CrLfs and Tabs displayed correctly as well as the ability to
specify a tab size (3 chars in my case).

I went through some pains to get this working correctly using the old MS-RTF
control in Access before realizing that they dropped it in later versions of
Access - very nice<g>

In looking around the 'net I came across many references to your control. I
downloaded it and installed it and noticed immediately that it didn't have
the SelTabCount and SelTabs methods and moved on. I have been stuck on this
for a few days now and it is troubling me quite a bit. However, if your
control is set to reasonable tabs of .25 inches, I can probably work with
that (although .2 would have been better for me, but now I'm being picky<g>)

So I am currently working with your control and trying to get it to display
this text with tabs, let the user edit the text (no formatting other than
Tabs/CRs) and save the non-RTF version of the text back to the table. Any
further pointers would be very much appreciated. When I'm done with this
utility and finish my book (on Oracle, *not* Access<g>, but it contains this
Access utility), I will definitely give you props in the forward.

Thanks again,

- Chris Long

Fred said:
[...]

message Dan Artuso,

Fred said:
[...]

So all you need right now is the ability to set the Tab stop amount?
I can add that prop tomorrow as I am almost done with the next release
and was planning on posting the new version Sunday anyhow.
Let me know.

--

HTH
Stephen Lebans

wrote in message The control is free because I think it is ridiculous that:

[...]

Are you kidding?

That would sooooooo work for me.

Man, I'll send you a signed copy of the book for that!!!<g>

- Chris Long

picky said:
[...]

<[email protected]>
wrote in message The control is free because I think it is ridiculous that:

1) Microsoft does not include their control with every install of
Access
2) The Microsoft control does not work in Print Preview
3) The FMS RTC control is too expensive

:)
--

HTH
Stephen Lebans
http://www.lebans.com
Access Code, Tips and Tricks

"Robert Thanking Dan MVP" <[email protected]>
wrote in
message Dan Artuso,

[...]

Another stupid question, however:

How do I get the control to display non-RTF text? Or how can I convert the
text to RTF before putting it into the control's RTFText property?

And once the user is done editing, how do I get the non-RTF text back out. I
had this working in the MS control, but can't seem to figure it out with
yours :(

Sorry to be so thick about all this. Can you tell that VBA is not my
specialty?<g> Unfortunately, I seem to end up writing something in it every
couple years whether I need to or not.

Thanks again,

- Chris Long

(Of course, if you ever have a question about Oracle database design or
programming, I'm here for you)

wrote in message It's definately on my list of props to add to the control. I think right
[...]

Use the Selxx props

' Move the cursor to the end of the file
Me.Rtf2COntrol.object.SelStart = 65000
Me.RTF2Control.Object.SelText = "WhateverYouWant"

--

HTH
Stephen Lebans

wrote in message news:%238%[email protected]...
[...]

Thanks - I ended up finding those, but I still couldn't figure out how to
get the non-RTF data into the control. The only hack I could work up was
programmatically copying the data to the clipboard and then using your Paste
method. That worked, but I had to make the staging field visible and give it
focus to make it work, so it won't fly.

I'm hoping it's something obvious I'm missing.

Thanks,

- Chris Long

wrote in message So all you need right now is the ability to set the Tab stop amount?
[...]

What happens when you use the Selxx props as in the code I posted. I did
not use RTF text in the sample code. The Selxxx props work with plain
text.

--

HTH
Stephen Lebans

Chris Long said:
[...]

I Posted the new version tonight. Remember the new "TabIncrementalValue"
prop's value must be expressed in TWIPS(1440 TWIPS PER INCH).

:)

--

HTH
Stephen Lebans

picky said:
[...]

Sweet! Thanks!

My internet finally came back up - lost it this morning in the wind - go
figure.

BTW, I had missed the sample entirely in the last message. Of course, it
works
perfectly. I had been using a Me.RTF2Control.SelText call, and it told me it
was a readonly property. My bad. I'm ususally not this stupid. Honest<g>

Now I'm having trouble with CRLFs, though. I'll keep working on it, but if
there's something obvious that I'm again missing, feel free to set me
straight.

If I paste the value from the table's column into the RTF control, it looks
great (minus the tab size issue), but if I set it programmatically, the tabs
come through but the CRLFs don't. I thought it might be because the
statements were copied into Access from a Unix database and only had
CHR(10)'s instead of 13/10's, so I did a replace beforehand, but it still
didn't work.

I then copied the statement out, then into TextPad, then out and back into
the table, thereby making sure the 13/10's were there, but programmatically
setting this value into the control still resulted in no CRLFs. I finally
did a replace of CHR(10) with "\par" and that worked, but I'm thinking I
just missed a more obvious solution.

Finally, I can't figure out how to programatically change the font. I can
call up the font dialog with the SelFont method, but I just want to set it
to Courier New 8pt. in the code and I haven't been able to figure out how.

Thanks again for all your help and a great control. I'll try the new one out
tomorrow.

Thanks!!

- Chris Long

Chris Long said:
[...]

There is an exposed Font prop for programmatic manipulation(No Font
Dialog).
Here is some code that works from another user. Use the Selxx props to
select the Text you want to apply the new Font to.

It sounds like you have Cr/LF translation happening in multiple
places(both Access and the RTF control).
I'll have a look at how the RTF control handles CR's.

Message 1 in thread
From: NB ([email protected])
Subject: Rich Text Box - Lebans

View this article only
Newsgroups: comp.databases.ms-access
Date: 2004-03-01 11:57:51 PST

Dim x As RTF2
Dim fnt As New StdFont

Set x = Me!rchtxtCalendar.Object
With fnt
.Name = "arial"
.Size = 44
.Italic = False
.Bold = False
.Strikethrough = False
.Underline = False
End With

set x.Font = fnt

Thanks
Nigel

--

HTH
Stephen Lebans

Chris Long said:
[...]

Sorry for the delayed reply, but it worked like a charm. I now have
nicely-formatted output across multiple versions of Access.

Thanks again, and I'll be pinging you for an address to send the book to
once I get it published.

- Chris Long

From: NB ([email protected])

View this article only
Newsgroups: comp.databases.ms-access
Date: 2004-03-01 11:57:51 PST

wrote in message
The control is free because I think it is ridiculous that:

1) Microsoft does not include their control with every
install
of
Access
2) The Microsoft control does not work in Print Preview
3) The FMS RTC control is too expensive

:)
--

HTH
Stephen Lebans
http://www.lebans.com
Access Code, Tips and Tricks
Please respond only to the newsgroups so everyone can
benefit.

"Robert Thanking Dan MVP"
<[email protected]>
wrote in
message Dan Artuso,

[...]

Looking forward to the book Chris. Don't forget to sign it!!!
:)

--

HTH
Stephen Lebans

[...]