Memeory Card Upgrade Help

tburroughs11

I have a P4 2.66GHz on a P4S5A/DX+ mobo. 2GB PC4000 DDR Ram. Running
XP Home SP2. I currently have a nVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 graphics card.
I currently can not use the card due to every time I enable it my
screen blanks out and I have to reboot in safe mode to disable it.
This has been an on going problem that no forum has helped me solve.
I'm hoping its just the card and not my AGP slot. I am looking to
upgrade to whatever my current mobo and cpu can handle. Is PCI aor AGP
better? Since I've been having problems with my current card and it's
AGP I would think PCI would be the way to go. Everything I look at
online tells me to go with a PCIe. Since my mobo does not have that
slot I can't seem to find the right information. You help would be
greatly appreciated.

Dusty Steenbock

I have a P4 2.66GHz on a P4S5A/DX+ mobo. 2GB PC4000 DDR Ram. Running
XP Home SP2. I currently have a nVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 graphics card.
I currently can not use the card due to every time I enable it my
screen blanks out and I have to reboot in safe mode to disable it.
This has been an on going problem that no forum has helped me solve.
I'm hoping its just the card and not my AGP slot. I am looking to
upgrade to whatever my current mobo and cpu can handle. Is PCI aor AGP
better? Since I've been having problems with my current card and it's
AGP I would think PCI would be the way to go. Everything I look at
online tells me to go with a PCIe. Since my mobo does not have that
slot I can't seem to find the right information. You help would be
greatly appreciated.

I would say that If you can see graphics when you boot Into safe mode that
your agp slot Is still OK. The 5200 Is an old card. Have you had It a long
time? If you are comfortable opening up your pc, do It and blow It out with
some compressed air. I know some models of those 5200's, don't have fans.
The heatsink Is probably clogged with dust. Also try reseating the card. If
all that fails, then look for another card. I'm too lazy to look up the
stats on your MB, but I'm willing to bet It supports at least a 4X agp card.
there's plenty of available 4X solutions still.

Mike T.

I have a P4 2.66GHz on a P4S5A/DX+ mobo. 2GB PC4000 DDR Ram. Running
XP Home SP2. I currently have a nVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 graphics card.
I currently can not use the card due to every time I enable it my
screen blanks out and I have to reboot in safe mode to disable it.
This has been an on going problem that no forum has helped me solve.
I'm hoping its just the card and not my AGP slot. I am looking to
upgrade to whatever my current mobo and cpu can handle. Is PCI aor AGP
better? Since I've been having problems with my current card and it's
AGP I would think PCI would be the way to go. Everything I look at
online tells me to go with a PCIe. Since my mobo does not have that
slot I can't seem to find the right information. You help would be
greatly appreciated.

That sounds like a power supply problem more than anything else. However,
if you are convinced it's not a power supply problem, I would suggest you
shop for a new motherboard with built-in video, instead of shopping for a
new video card. The reasons?

1) You are not sure if your video card or mainboard is bad. A new
motherboard with built-in video would solve both
2) You'll likely spend less money on a new motherboard, unless you really
cheap out on a replacement video card.
3) Just about any built-in graphics solution is likely to match the
capabilities of an old FX5200
4) If you buy a motherboard with built-in graphics, you can get one with a
PCI-Express slot, also. That way, if you do decide to buy a new video card
later, you can get a more current one.

You don't say what format your processor is, but check the following:
Socket 478:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157106
Socket LGA775:
http://www.xpcgear.com/775dualvsta.html

Paul

I have a P4 2.66GHz on a P4S5A/DX+ mobo. 2GB PC4000 DDR Ram. Running
XP Home SP2. I currently have a nVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 graphics card.
I currently can not use the card due to every time I enable it my
screen blanks out and I have to reboot in safe mode to disable it.
This has been an on going problem that no forum has helped me solve.
I'm hoping its just the card and not my AGP slot. I am looking to
upgrade to whatever my current mobo and cpu can handle. Is PCI aor AGP
better? Since I've been having problems with my current card and it's
AGP I would think PCI would be the way to go. Everything I look at
online tells me to go with a PCIe. Since my mobo does not have that
slot I can't seem to find the right information. You help would be
greatly appreciated.

I take it, your video card displays the BIOS, it displays while
Windows is loading, and then goes blank, just when the desktop
appears ?

On older motherboards, sometimes there are issues with the design
of the AGP interface on the Northbridge chip. That is what drives
your AGP slot.

The FX5200 is a pretty well behaved card. I own a couple of them,
and they both work on my old 440BX board. So the cards are pretty
tolerant of old and new motherboards. (I've also run those two
video cards on a 875P based board and a Nforce2 board, both at
AGP 8X, and again, no problems).

So that leaves the 645DX chip on your motherboard.

I downloaded the manual for your board, from ECS. They didn't have a
manual for the "DX+", so I used the "DX" manual instead. The first
thing I notice, is there is no adjustment for AGP speed. Or to
disable fast write.

I also visited the Asus web site. The equivalent Asus board (at least
it uses a 645DX chip), is the P4S533. In the Asus manual for their
board, they have an AGP setting in the BIOS, which can be set to
AGP 1X, 2X, or 4X. The idea would be, you'd enter the BIOS, and
crank down that setting. As long as the Windows driver accepts the
limitation as set in the BIOS, there would be a better chance of
the desktop appearing when Windows is done booting.

On some of the old chipsets (perhaps SIS and ALI), they also
made available a small utility. The job of the utility is to
mess around with the registry. I believe one of the options
in the utility, is to force the AGP speed to 1X, 2X, 4X.
(For the ALI utility in fact, I think it was the only thing
that worked :) )

I cannot test that here, as you have to install the SIS driver
package, to get the necessary registry entries for the utility
to play with. And I also cannot tell you, whether the utility is
for use with all OSes. It was probably most popular with Win98SE,
and I don't know if it is still for use with WinXP or not.

This is the last driver from Asus for their P4S533. The adjustment
program is agputil.exe .

ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/misc/vga/sisagp/1.17/AGP_1170.zip

This is the listing Asus has, for the above driver, so it is supposed
to be installable on WinXP:

Version 1.17 2003/07/28 update
OS Win98SE / WinME / Win2K / WinXP
Description SiS AGP WHQL Drivers for Windows 98SE/ME/2000/XP V7.2.0.1170
File Size 5.38 (MBytes)

The P4S533 manual is here, if you are curious - it isn't necessary
to download this, and due to the current download speed of the Asus
site, you'd probably run out of patience before it was finished.

ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/mb/sock478/p4s533/e989_p4s533.pdf

Now, on the SIS site, they offer this driver. This is their latest one.
The "agputil.exe" is missing from this one, or at least I don't see it
in the installer directory.

http://driver.sis.com/agp/agp121.zip

Basically, I guess what you'd try to do is:

0) Uninstall old driver.
1) Install some new driver version.
2) Get smacked with the blank screen again.
3) Go to Safe Mode, and try the agputil.exe . Now, in safe mode, the
question would be whether the agputil.exe will load or not. Check
in that util, and see whether it offers 1x, 2x, 4x options for
the video card. Try 2x to start, and do a normal boot.

With any luck, if the SIS util updates the registry, the next time
the driver starts, it'll try to run the video card at 2x. And then maybe
it won't blank out.

The other possibility, is the resolution or the refresh rate was
out of range for the monitor, but if you monitor has an OSD (on
screen display), it might have mentioned it was out of range
if that was the problem. It would be harder to tell what was
going on, with a CRT.

It is also possible for the video card maker, to notice which kind of
Northbridge chip is on the motherboard, and sometimes the video card
maker will turn down the AGP slot for you. Some chipsets are notorious
for speed problems, and so the video card manufacturers had to do something
to try to fix it. In fact, some people have the opposite problem - their
AGP slot is "stuck" at 2X, and they want to try 4X. In some cases there
is a hack to tell the video card driver, to allow the higher speed, for
a test. Again, that might involve manually editing the registry.

I wouldn't give up on it yet, as you've paid the money for this
experiment, and you might as well get the full value from it.
I spent three weeks messing with my ALI based motherboard, with a
very similar problem, and eventually had to admit defeat. But at
least I got three weeks of experiments out of it, before chucking it.

Paul

DaveW

IF your AGP slot is working, then you ONLY want to upgrade to an AGP video
card. PCI cards only come in very SLOW versions due to the PCI bus.

Mike T.

DaveW said:
IF your AGP slot is working, then you ONLY want to upgrade to an AGP video
card. PCI cards only come in very SLOW versions due to the PCI bus.

Whoa, another old myth that's still alive and well, I see.

When AGP was becoming popular, there wasn't a video card sold in regular
retail channels that was fast enough to overwhelm the bandwidth of the PCI
bus. However, it was silly to buy a PCI video card, as economies of
scale -eventually- made the AGP format video cards cheaper. Plus, if your
motherboard HAD an AGP expansion port, it would be silly to use a PCI format
video card for one monitor, as that would take up an available expansion
slot that could be put to better use.

It always has been rumored that older bus technology is "slower" than
whatever bus the video card is using currently. The problem with that myth
that makes it untrue though is that the BUS technology is released many
years before the GPU technology catches up to it. In the age of PCI-Express
X16 graphics cards, it will be many years before the GPU catches up to the
point where it would use all the available bandwidth of an AGP slot. In
fact, we are STILL, TODAY, waiting for GPU technology to catch up to the
point where a GPU will use all the available bandwidth of a PCI slot.

That said, there can be 'speed' differences between two video cards using
the same GPU but different expansion slots. These speed differences are due
to design flaws, or deliberate design errors. For example, you could
convert a PCI-Express X16 video card to run on a *PCI* bus. But the extra
chips/bridges/etc. used to make the conversion would significantly hamper
the performance of the video card. And that has nothing to do with the
expansion slot. Just like today, when there are PCI-Express X16 and AGP
versions of the same video card, one OR THE OTHER is often slower, due to
the extra chips added to convert from one expansion slot to the
ther. -Dave

John Doe

Mike T. said:
Whoa, another old myth that's still alive and well, I see.
In fact, we are STILL, TODAY, waiting for GPU technology to catch up
to the point where a GPU will use all the available bandwidth of a
PCI slot.

Says who?

-Dave

From: "Mike T." <noway nohow.not>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Subject: Re: Memeory Card Upgrade Help
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2007 07:30:30 -0400

Mike T.

Whoa, another old myth that's still alive and well, I see.
Says who?

Actually, both of us are correct. I just double-checked the figures. The
fastest GPUs available today running the most graphic-intensive apps (ie,
the latest games) are now using bandwidth equal to AGP 2X. AGP 2X is about
twice the bandwidth of the PCI bus. So GPU technology has matured enough to
be slowed down by the PCI bus, but it's still years away from catching up to
the full AGP 8X bus bandwidth.

But unless your video card is bleeding edge, it should not be slowed down by
a PCI bus, even. -Dave

John Doe

From: "Mike T." <noway nohow.not>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2007 10:07:36 -0400

tburroughs11

I was wondering if there is a way to test my AGP slot without
installing a new card? If I'm better off just buying a new mobo then
what mobo would be recommended for around 150 - 200 bucks that I can
just pull the one I have and put this one in and everything else match
up? Your help is appreciated.

Paul

I was wondering if there is a way to test my AGP slot without
installing a new card? If I'm better off just buying a new mobo then
what mobo would be recommended for around 150 - 200 bucks that I can
just pull the one I have and put this one in and everything else match
up? Your help is appreciated.

You want a motherboard with an Intel 865 or 875 chipset. They
support S478 processors, AGP8X, DDR memory. The best way to find
one, is to look for old Intel motherboards that are still for
sale. It is easier to find an Intel chipset board, if you
buy an Intel motherboard.

Intel D865GLCL $99.00
https://secure.santechusa.com/advert.asp?id=22091

You will probably have to do a "repair install" of the OS, which
will not disturb your applications or your settings. But it will
require reinstalling any service packs or security patches, which
can be time consuming.

Paul