Mechanical Drives Not Showing

CSB

Reaction score
Hi All,

Got the new system up and running, but even though the 2 Samsung F3 Sata drives are connected to the mobo with the Kingston SSD. The 2 samsung drives are not showing in my computer.

What have I done wrong ?. And how do I get them to work ?.

Rob

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
BIOS settings? Formatted and initialised in Disk Manager? (Control Panel > Admin Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management)

Check the latter first. :)

CSB

Reaction score
Thanks for the replys V_R and Mucks. I followed the direcetions on the link, and it says to do the following,

1. Open Computer Management by clicking the Start button
    4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33.png
    , clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, clicking Administrative Tools, and then double-clicking Computer Management.
    18abb370-ac1e-4b6b-b663-e028a75bf05b.png
    If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
  2. In the Navigation pane, under Storage, click Disk Management.
  3. Right-click the volume that you want to format, and then click Format.
  4. To format the volume with the default settings, in the Format dialog box, click OK, and then click OK again.
Well I right clicked on the drives and it wouldn't let me choose a Format option, just things like "create Simple Volume" etc, So I ended up choosing that for both Mechanical HDDs which then made them available with about 931MB each.

I have then renamed each drive, i.e Rob and my Fiancee's name, and then clicked on Format the first drive. which is taking so long and is only 6% done right now.

Hope these Hard Disks are now ok to use as storage drives ?.

Rob

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
*Posting from phone.

Sounds about right. Remember. A drive won't be exactly the size it says due to how the size is calculated. :)

CSB

Reaction score
Thanks V_R. Well I've only formated the 1 drive so far, that took long enough. Took like 3 hours or more, infact I think it was nearly 4 from what my fiancee told me, as she was on the PC when it had finished.

Will attach pics of the new system asap.

Rob

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
To create and format a new partition (volume)

Open Computer Management by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Security, clicking Administrative Tools, and then double-clicking Computer Management. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

In the left pane, under Storage, click Disk Management.

Right-click an unallocated region on your hard disk, and then click New Simple Volume.

In the New Simple Volume Wizard, click Next.

Type the size of the volume you want to create in megabytes (MB) or accept the maximum default size, and then click Next.

Accept the default drive letter or choose a different drive letter to identify the partition, and then click Next.

In the Format Partition dialog box, do one of the following:

If you don't want to format the volume right now, click Do not format this volume, and then click Next.

To format the volume with the default settings, click Next.

Review your choices, and then click Finish.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Create-and-format-a-hard-disk-partition

:user:

Ask a Question