MDE

prabha

Hi Connie,

If you are not being prompted for User Name and Password then you are
opening the MDE or MDB with Admin account. Whoever set security on the
database has removed the Admin account from the Admins Group and made sure
it does not have permissions to open those objects you are trying to open.

- Select the menu option Tools > Security > User and Group Accounts
- Click the Change User Password tab
- You'll notice that User Name is Admin
- If you give the Admin account a password then when you attempt to reopen
the database you'll be prompted for User Name and Password.

Then enter the correct User Name and Password. If you don't know the
correct User Name and Password then check with the Database Administrator
for the correct WorkGroup File (*.MDW) for this database.

I hope this helps! If you have additional questions on this topic, please
respond back to this posting.

Regards,

Eric Butts
Microsoft Access Support

"Microsoft Security Announcement: Have you installed the patch for
Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-026? If not Microsoft strongly advises
you to review the information at the following link regarding Microsoft
Security Bulletin MS03-026
<http://www.microsoft.com/security/security_bulletins/ms03-026.asp> and/or
to visit Windows Update at <http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/> to install
the patch. Running the SCAN program from the Windows Update site will help
to insure you are current with all security patches, not just MS03-026."

| From: "Connie" <[email protected]>
| Sender: "Connie" <[email protected]>
| Subject: MDE
| Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 10:39:29 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.access.security
|
| I have a database that is an mde. I can can open it but
| >not any of the objects inside. A message appears when I
| >try to open for eg: a form and tells me I don't have
| >permission. No user id and password opion appears when
| >opening the db, and I am not allowed to make changes to
| >the security. Any suggestions on how to change the
| >permissions?

Hi Eric

Thank you so much for the information. I was able to go
in and change the password for the admin. I was given a
user id and p/w to use, however, it did not work. I got
in using "admin" as an id and the p/w i changed it to,
but as always, access was denied for anything else,
including import, export, changes etc.

Contact with the administator is difficult as he has left
the organization.

Any further suggestions are welcome

Connie

Scott McDaniel

Can you actually open the database ... by this I mean can you open the file
and open forms, reports, etc etc ... if you can, then security isn't your
trouble.

If you're using an .mde file, you won't be able to change anything regarding
the OBJECTS in the database ... for example, you wouldn't be able to open a
form in design view and add a button, or add a report, etcetc. You would
need to find the original .mdb file that was used to create the database.
Quite often it's the same name as the file you have now except with an .mdb
extension.

If that's not what you're trying to do, please post back and we'll try to
help further.

--
Scott McDaniel
CS Computer Software

"Smash forehead on keyboard to continue ... "

I can open the database and see the objects. However, I
cannot open, view, import, export any tables, forms,
etc. The messgae tells me I don't have permission. No
changes are necessary to forms etc. Just want to view
data

prabha

Connie,

It's possible you one or the other problem:

1 - The Admin account does not have the necessary permissions. Whoever
created the security probably set it up this way to keep the Admin (Guest)
from opening objects in the database.

OR

2 - You are using the incorrect MDW file used to secure the database. To
check perform the following:
+ After entering the Admin account and password (either with the
MDE open or not) select teh menu option Tools > Security > User and Group
accounts
+ Under the drop for User it will say "Admin". Pull the drop
down... if you don't see the other User Accounts you created when the
database was Secured then you are using the incorrect MDW

If you don't see the other User accounts then select the menu option (I'm
guessing you are using Access 2002) Tools > Security > WorkGroup
Administrator. Note the WorkGroup Microsoft Access is defaulting to. If
this is incorrect then join to the correct MDW file.

If you are using Access 2000 then double click on the file C:\Program
files\Microsoft Office\Office\1033\wrkgadm.exe

then like in Access 2002 note the WorkGroup (MDW) Microsoft Access is
defaulting to and if this is incorrect join to the correct MDW file.

Eric

| From: <[email protected]>
| Sender: <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: MDE
| Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 14:46:44 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.access.security
|
| I can open the database and see the objects. However, I
| cannot open, view, import, export any tables, forms,
| etc. The messgae tells me I don't have permission. No
| changes are necessary to forms etc. Just want to view
| data

Connie

Eric. Thanks for your efforts and I hope you get this
response (I've been away for a while).

I suspected that the incorrect mdw was being used and had
already tried that one. My dilemma is that I don't have
the mdw the database was developed with. I had the
client do a search on her entire system for all mdw and
had her send them to me. None worked. I am still trying
to locate the original developer of the database, so far
with no luck.

I am beginning to think, he is the only one who can solve
the problem.

Connie

prabha

That's correct... you need the correct MDW file.
| From: "Connie" <[email protected]>
| Sender: "Connie" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: MDE
| Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 14:12:36 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.access.security
|
| Eric. Thanks for your efforts and I hope you get this
| response (I've been away for a while).
|
| I suspected that the incorrect mdw was being used and had
| already tried that one. My dilemma is that I don't have
| the mdw the database was developed with. I had the
| client do a search on her entire system for all mdw and
| had her send them to me. None worked. I am still trying
| to locate the original developer of the database, so far
| with no luck.
|
| I am beginning to think, he is the only one who can solve
| the problem.
|
| Connie

| >|
| >|