MDAC Problem

Konstantinos Michas

Hello Experts,

I post this in this newsgroup too, hoping I got faster
response here. Thank you.

When I Open Enterprise Manager and click on my server,
following msg appears:

SQL Server Enterprise Manager
A Connection could not be established to (LOCAL).

Reason: Data source name not found and no default driver
specified.

Please Verify SQL Server is running....bla, bla.

What Cause this:

1) I have Windows XP with SP1
2) I have had installed MDAC 2.8
3) I uninstall MDAC 2.8 using "dasetup.exe /U" command,
setup found that MDAC 2.6 is referenced to MDAC 2.8 an
had to uninstall this too, I pressed OK and then the
uninstall failed because the default of Windows XP MDAC
is 2.7 SP1 and setup propably found that some other MDAC
had to be the default.

Any way, I ReInstall MDAC 2.6 (Latest), MDAC 2.7 Refresh
and Q323263_MDAC27_x86_en.

What do I have to do having as default "MDAC 2.7 SP1 on
Windows XP SP1" and ODBC Drivers work?

Is this a solution? -> Repair my registry using WinXP CD,
but I don't know how to do it :).

Thanks in advance.

pauly [MSFT]

The following KB Articles may help you resolve this:

307255 INFO: Component Checker: Diagnose Problems and Reconfigure MDAC
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=307255

232060 HOWTO: MDAC Setup Troubleshooting Guide
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=232060

243069 INFO: List of Useful Articles Related to MDAC Setup
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=243069

=========

Windows XP Security Homepage:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/security/default.asp

Windows 2000 Security Homepage:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/security/default.asp

Top 10 Windows Newsgroups Security Questions:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/newsgroups/default.asp?url=/technet/newsgro
ups/nodepages/sectop10.asp

=========
Paul Hayes, MCSE