Maxtor One Touch 4 and Windows Sever 2003

Tom Del Rosso

On 2 different servers with 3 different Maxtor OT4 USB drives, they aren't
recongized as formatted, and after the server tries to format them (with a
failure message) they don't work on XP any more. XP now says the capacity
is 2.048 TB, and now Seatools diagnostics passes the long self-test, but
fails the other long test.

Anyone else have a similar experience with these drives?

Squeeze

Tom Del Rosso wrote in news:[email protected]
On 2 different servers with 3 different Maxtor OT4 USB drives,
they aren't recongized as formatted, and after the server tries to
format them (with a failure message) they don't work on XP any more.
XP now says the capacity is 2.048 TB,
and now Seatools diagnostics passes the long self-test,
but fails the other long test.

Well, the obvious solution is to ignore that.
As our platinum plated resident expert -babblebot- keeps repeating,
ad nauseum, the only real test of a harddrive is the long selftest.

Joined
Feb 3, 2009
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
OneTouch on Server 2003

I had similar experiences using the OneTouch on Server 2003. Frustrated with all the issues, including NTFS errors in the event viewer (see attachments), I called Maxtor (Seagate) Support and they told me they do not support the OneTouch on Server 2003, but could not give me a plausible reason, except to blame Microsoft. Since I have to depend on the backups, and since the OneTouch prices were so fantastic, I tore the 750GB hard drive out of the OneTouch, bought a eSATA/SATA external enclosure from Sans Digital, mounted the drive, and no more problems. And, now I get much faster read/write times.
I know this might not help your problem, but if Seagate/Maxtor does not support the OneTouch on Server 2003....that was enough for me. Last thing I want is for these problems to accumulate and render all my data unreadable.

Tom Del Rosso said:
On 2 different servers with 3 different Maxtor OT4 USB drives, they aren't
recongized as formatted, and after the server tries to format them (with a
failure message) they don't work on XP any more. XP now says the capacity
is 2.048 TB, and now Seatools diagnostics passes the long self-test, but
fails the other long test.

Anyone else have a similar experience with these drives?

zero, and remove the last word.

Attachments

  • maxtor1.jpg
    maxtor1.jpg