map network drive from PPTP logon ?

scott

Hi,

I have XP + 2000 pro users connecting to a PPTP service. The user names and
passwords are authenticated via domain AD. I thought that by adding a logon
script in the AD user profile that a mapped drive would appear on their
desktop.

When testing this with a new user account from an external source the logon
script doesn't even attempt to run from what I can tell. The internal logon
scripts run fine. It simply contains the test:

net use z: \\server\ share

Thanks for any help
Scott

scott

found this.

"Making a VPN connection is not a logon operation. It will not trigger a
logon script. You will need to use something else to trigger off the script.
Or you could try using the "logon using a dialup connection" option."

what else can i use to trigger the script ?

Scott

scott

Hi,

2K pro pptp connection to 2k server (AD authenticates)

- I enter local login details.

- I logged on using the "LOG ON USING DIAL UP CONNECTION" option from
remove 2k pc.

- I select the PPTP adapter, punched in the user, pass, domain details for
the remote domain.

- The adapter verifies, registers on the network, displays connected
details.

- My remote machine logs in ok.

I still dont have a mapped drive ?

Thanks
SCott

scott

ended up just sending all users a batch file i.e

net use z: \\server\share /user:username

they punch in the pass and it caches the info so its available after pptp
connection.

think this should work.
scott.

is there anyway to make the logon script execute automatically, when the user
logon ? (I am using the dial-up networking connection to the 2k ras server)

Robert L [MS-MVP]

quoted from http://www.ChicagoTech.net
Logon script with VPN

To run logon script while establishing a VPN, you may have two options. 1)
create a batch including rasdial.exe plus mapping. 2) Use Connection
Manager.

--
For more and other information, go to http://www.ChicagoTech.net

Don't send e-mail or reply to me except you need consulting services.
Posting on MS newsgroup will benefit all readers and you may get more help.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN, Anti-Virus, Tips & Troubleshooting on
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
Networking Solutions, http://www.chicagotech.net/networksolutions.htm
VPN Solutions, http://www.chicagotech.net/vpnsolutions.htm
VPN Process and Error Analysis, http://www.chicagotech.net/VPN process.htm
VPN Troubleshooting, http://www.chicagotech.net/vpn.htm
"can not run logon script via dialup" <can not run logon script via

Bill Grant

The thing to consider is that making a PPTP connection is not a logon
operation. You are simply setting up an IP connection. So there is no reason
for a logon script to run. You need to actually do a logon, or use something
else to trigger off the script to run.