Manually tweak my registry to make Outlook work?

Kozmo

This might be an Outlook problem but another thread suggested I"m missing a
registry folder.

Here's the long story. When I try to send or forward an email with an
attachment or embedded file via OL2000 on an XP machine I get the message
"The system cannot find the file specified".

Brian Tillman and F.H. Muffman have helped on another forum - some of this
progress is thanks to them. I'm condensing that thread and casting the net
again to more groups.

I recently reformatted my HD and reinstalled everything. The problem started
shortly after that.

The problem occurs whether I attach or embed a file. On the second attempt
to send a file, the email is sent but when the attachment is opened on the
other end it is empty. I save it to view it but no go; its size is "0."

I have tried sending from different locations including Desktop. I can open
the files fine in their applications and I can even open the file fine from
the email embedment before I send it. The same problem seems to happen when
I forward messages with some attachments; it seems to happen with forwarded
Word, Excel and text files but pdf and jpg files can be forwarded. I haven't
tried other file types. When I do forward one of these that works and then
close the original email, I get a warning that the file is still open.

I can send files from Outlook Express just fine.

After I reinstalled Office I did an Outlook settings backup recovery to try
to get my settings back that had been saved before the reformat. That
recovery failed and caused my machine to hang up at the time. Then I rolled
the XP settings back.

F.H. Muffman suggested I make sure OutlookSecureTempFolder key in something
like hkey_current_user\Software\Microsoft\Office\9.0\Outlook\Security. That
registry path does not exist; I search for OutlookSecureTempFolder in the
registry and find nothing. That path does exist on another machine of mine
with similar installations of Office 2k and XP. The Security folder and
about a dozen other registry folders on the other machine do not exist on
the machine with the problem.

I have scanned for viri with three virus/spyware/malware scanners and have
McAfee Security System active. I have temporarily disabled McAfee firewall
to see if it would help; no change. I don't use XP firewall.

I have done Office "detect and repair" twice. The program runs successfully
but there is no change.

I have uninstalled and re-installed Office. Again, no change.

Finally, I have uninstalled Office, ran RegistryMechanic from PCTools,
reinstalled Office. No change.

So ... what should I do? I wonder if I should try to export the registry
from the machine that works and import it here. I would do a backup first of
course. I would only import the specific registry folder that seems to be
missing. This all seems dangerous to me but I don't know what else to do.

thanks; Kozmo

db

you may be better off
reposting your question in
the newsgroup dedicated to
outlook - where the experts
hang out.....

http://www.microsoft.com/office/com...dg=microsoft.public.office.misc&lang=en&cr=US

however, one thing i would look into is to
see if the problem occurs in safemode
as well....

- db
[...]

Rock

Kozmo said:
This might be an Outlook problem but another thread suggested I"m missing
a registry folder.

Here's the long story. When I try to send or forward an email with an
attachment or embedded file via OL2000 on an XP machine I get the message
"The system cannot find the file specified".
Brian Tillman and F.H. Muffman have helped on another forum - some of
this progress is thanks to them. I'm condensing that thread and casting
the net again to more groups.

I have no idea who those folks are or what newsgroup you posted to
previously. If you are posting this new query to more than one newsgroup
please do it by crossposting, sending one message at the same time to all
the groups, rather than multiposting, which is sending separate messages to
each group.
[...]

I recommend against McAfee's Security Suite, (and Norton's home offereings
as well). These programs are bloated and cause problems sooner or later.
There are good, preferable alternatives, for firewall and AV, some of which
are free.
I have done Office "detect and repair" twice. The program runs
successfully but there is no change.

I have uninstalled and re-installed Office. Again, no change.

Finally, I have uninstalled Office, ran RegistryMechanic from PCTools,
reinstalled Office. No change.
So ... what should I do? I wonder if I should try to export the registry
from the machine that works and import it here. I would do a backup first
of course. I would only import the specific registry folder that seems to
be missing. This all seems dangerous to me but I don't know what else to
do.

Best to post to an Outlook newsgroup. Look at the ones under
microsoft.public.outlook.

On a side note, I recommend against using a registry cleaner. They can be
the cause of more problems than they fix. The only way to use one is for
advice on what to remove, but not let it make any changes. Then research
those suggestions to decide if any are needed, then make individual changes.

Wholesale cleaning of the registry is not needed, and what's more it's up to
that program to decide what it thinks should be removed, which can lead to
it removing needed items causing problems later.

Unused entries in the registry do not cause problems per se.

Kozmo

thanks for the advice. I have posted to an Outlook group. That led me to the suggestion that I tweak the registry. That's why I posted here. I wouldn't do it without a knowledgable recommendation. For now I'm staying away from that.

I tried it in safe mode and got the same error.

thanks
Kozmo
"db" <databaseben.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message you may be better off
[...]

ok, well it certainly wouldn't
hurt to follow the tip about
creating that key you mentioned
below in your registry - but this