Manchester Meteor - High Altitude Balloon

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I suppose it was a bit like fox hunting but without the fox, horses or dogs :thumb:

Duno about that your avatar is pretty foxy :D

Sounds like the project will be a load of fun. Best of luck with it. :thumb:

Surprised you went with such an expensive camera when you could have got the same quality results with a Raspberry Pi for a fraction of the cost. :cool:

Raspberry Eye In The Sky

snap314_ifl-1024x768.jpg

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
The launch has been delayed, as it looks like we're been denied permission from two launch sites we've identified. We've been told that if we go to the North Wales border, we should be ok!

I'm hoping this doesn't set things back too far, as until this morning we were hoping to launch on Saturday.

As soon as I know more, I'll report back :).

Surprised you went with such an expensive camera when you could have got the same quality results with a Raspberry Pi for a fraction of the cost. :cool:

A raspberry pi is the next sort of launch we're looking at - as it can do so much more when it's up there, plus we can use some better tracking techniques. The reason we didn't go for it this time was because we need to start off simple :). Once we go to use a Raspberry Pi, we'll have pressure sensors, radio, camera, GSM module and other bits and bobs attached.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Thats Pi baking with a vengeance. :thumb:

Good luck for Saturday. Pics and posts please. :cool:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
The launch looks like it's going to be 29th September now, at the earliest :(.

We need to identify a new launch site (so far, looking at Mold in North Wales), which we'll do this weekend - then we need to reapply for airspace exemption. Bit of a pain, as we've been ready to launch for a few weeks!

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Aww the delay is very disappointing for you - and all of us, who are eagerly anticipating the launch. Hope you'll be successful in finding a new launch site. Keeping everything crossed for you here. Good luck.
good-luck-smiley-emoticon.gif

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Well 29th came and went ! Are you still waiting for the balloon to land or did you loose it ? :lol:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Still waiting unfortunately!

The weather on Sunday looked like it was going to take the balloon landing spot to about a kilometre from the Irish Sea! That's not much margin for error, so we knocked it on the head until the next launch window - 19th/20th Oct. I really hope it's a go-er!

Reaction score
Could you not get permission to launch it from the military ranges on northumberland?
Didn't Top Gear use them for putting there rocket in to the air, er i mean space?

And keeps us informed Ian.:thumb:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Tough luck.
Keeping me fingers crossed for you.
Could be in for a race. I received a Virgin Balloon Flight voucher for me 60 th burpday last month. I may be posting pictures before you at this rate. :lol:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Could you not get permission to launch it from the military ranges on northumberland?
Didn't Top Gear use them for putting there rocket in to the air, er i mean space?

And keeps us informed Ian.:thumb:

What a great episode of Top Gear that was! As it happens, one of the guys working on it was a mate of Chip's (the mate I'm launching this with). The problem with launching in Northumberland is the drift direction, as it's almost certain to land in the sea... and I'm a crap swimmer :lol:.

Tough luck.
Keeping me fingers crossed for you.
Could be in for a race. I received a Virgin Balloon Flight voucher for me 60 th burpday last month. I may be posting pictures before you at this rate. :lol:

Perhaps you could launch this balloon from your flight - would be a nice head-start :thumb:.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Well this is a pain - but funny... the next launch window was this weekend but the weather just isn't co-operating. We've got the a huge area of airspace near Liverpool and Manchester airport, but just take a look at this screenshot of the projected flight path for Sunday:

attachment.php

Just couldn't make it up... :fool:

Unless things change dramatically in the prediction tomorrow, then we'll miss this weekend too :wall:.

Attachments

• flight.jpg
    flight.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 158

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
We are all on tenterhooks here waiting for a news update :D

Did you see the special offer on the PI + Picamera that I mentioned in the Pi thread ?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Well, it's looking positive for next week! I'm picking up the helium tomorrow as it looks like Tuesday should be ok for launch - it's still not quite the sort of weather that we'd like, but if it fits the NOTAM then we'll go for it :thumb:.

Did you see the special offer on the PI + Picamera that I mentioned in the Pi thread ?

I didn't, but I'll check it out now :bow:

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Thats good news Ian

Fingers crossed

Just keep off the Helium until then..:D

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
We're rooting for you here too Ian. Hope all will be well on the day so that the launch can go ahead. Good luck. :thumb:

Ask a Question