Managing SP2 via Group Policy

AJD

I just installed XP SP2 on a handful of machines via SUS
this morning. I went to update the Default Domain Policy
to modify the firewall settings on the clients, but they
are not getting updated. I use the Group Policy Results
Wizard and see that the GPO is getting applied to them,
however, the clients do not show the changes if you go in
their local policy configuration.

Any ideas?

thanks.

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Using the Windows Firewall INF File in Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2:
This Windows Firewall INF file allows you to customize the settings of the
Windows Firewall either during or after installation.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...1d-2f97-4e63-a581-bf25685b4c43&displaylang=en

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

:

| I just installed XP SP2 on a handful of machines via SUS
| this morning. I went to update the Default Domain Policy
| to modify the firewall settings on the clients, but they
| are not getting updated. I use the Group Policy Results
| Wizard and see that the GPO is getting applied to them,
| however, the clients do not show the changes if you go in
| their local policy configuration.
|
| Any ideas?
|
| thanks.

AJD

Thanks for the reply Carey. This sounds somewhat of what
I need but I still don't get it. This sounds like I can
manage it via the INF file, but I need to manage it via
Group Policy. It won't update the local configuration
when I make the changes in Group Policy??..

thanks again.

Torgeir Bakken \(MVP\)

AJD said:
I just installed XP SP2 on a handful of machines via SUS
this morning. I went to update the Default Domain Policy
to modify the firewall settings on the clients, but they
are not getting updated. I use the Group Policy Results
Wizard and see that the GPO is getting applied to them,
however, the clients do not show the changes if you go in
their local policy configuration.
Hi

Take a look at WF_XPSP2.doc "Deploying Windows Firewall Settings for
Microsoft Windows XP with Service Pack 2", it is downloadable from
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=4454e0e1-61fa-447a-bdcd-499f73a637d1

Some more links:

Managing Windows XP Service Pack 2 Features Using Group Policy
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/mangxpsp2/mngintro.mspx

From: Mark Williams [MSFT] ([email protected])
Subject: Windows XP Service Pack 2 .adm files available for download
http://groups.google.com/[email protected]

From: Mark Williams [MSFT] ([email protected])
Subject: Important information about XP SP2 .ADM Files
http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=#[email protected]

From: Mark Williams [MSFT] ([email protected])
Subject: XP SP2 ADM File-Related Fixes Available From PSS
http://groups.google.com/[email protected]

From: Mark Williams [MSFT] ([email protected])
Subject: XP SP2 Version of Group Policy Reference Spreadsheet available
http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=#bTLC#[email protected]

Torgeir Bakken \(MVP\)

AJD said:
Thanks for the reply Carey. This sounds somewhat of what
I need but I still don't get it. This sounds like I can
manage it via the INF file, but I need to manage it via
Group Policy. It won't update the local configuration
when I make the changes in Group Policy??..
Hi

No, you do not use the INF file when managing the FW settings
with Group Policy.

How did you install XP SP2 on a handful of computers via SUS? I have an OU
with 40 computers in it and would like to do a pilot on 4 of those 40
computers and have been struggling to find information that allows me to do
this. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

TR

I published the update.msi (from a network share) as an assigned application
to a test OU. Create a sec. grp and only grant permission to the update.msi
file folder. Move the 4 computer objects (not users) to the Test OU and add
the computer accounts to the security group. It should install at the next
reboot after replication has completed.
I have had about 95% success with this method.
HTH
JoJoJellybean