Maintenance outage this weekend (2006 Jan 29 4:00 UTC)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Starting approximately Jan 29, 2006 04:00 UTC our web site and the grid servers may not be accessible for up to 8 hours (until 12:00 UTC). Your grid agents may show the "Agent paused" message during this period. Some major network components are being upgraded and thus connectivity to our servers will be unavailable. We hope the upgrades will take much less than the full 8 hours. Sorry for any convenience and the short notice.

http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/viewthread?thread=5762

:eek: :( :mad:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Can I recommend that all those using Boinc store up a few extra WU's prior to the outage so you can continue working? - the easiest way is to adjust your 'connect to network' setting to 2 days at your WCG Boinc profile - this will make Boinc download extra WU's to cover the period :thumb:

I would make the change ASAP, so that Boinc updates the preference at the next connection - and remember to put it back to its original setting once the outage is over.

Unfortunately those using the standard WCG UD Agent are unable to do this - sorry!:(

Note: this is also a good way to store up some units when you are likely to be away and not connected to the internet for a while, but still want to continue crunching in your absence - obviously if your going to be disconnected for a week, set it to 7 days etc the day before you go....

muckshifter

Reaction score
now why didn't I think of that ... DOH!

What Ady recommends is a great idea for this coming outage ... but can I please ask everyone not to make a habit of it.

Bionc works on a 4 WU per point system, if it takes you 7 days to return a WU, 3 other people may be waiting on you before getting allocated any points. So PLEASE use this "stack up" wisely.

Those of you running UD only can have the day off ... I may just shut mine down and give them a clean out ... then maybe not, depends on what CITech is going to do. :D

:thumb:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Done, Cheers for the heads up guys. :thumb:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Mucks - do you know if that outage start and finish time relates to our UK time?

muckshifter

Reaction score
Adywebb said:
Mucks - do you know if that outage start and finish time relates to our UK time?
04:00 UTC ... Took me some time ages ago to figure out what UTC was.

Here you go ...

UTC is;
equal to time at longitude 0° ± 7.5°,
equal to time in Greenwich, England, ... :D

5 hours ahead of EST [size=-2](CDT)[/size],
6 hours ahead of CST [size=-2](MDT)[/size],
7 hours ahead of MST [size=-2](PDT)[/size],
8 hours ahead of PST

so, it's 4 am in the morning ... our time :thumb:

http://copradar.com/preview/timeuct.html

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
... then maybe not, depends on what CITech is going to do. :D

You worried about them points again Mucks. I notice you are coming up on my tail, day by day. :eek:

I've loaded UD Tweaker with 2 extra WUs so it may cover me over the downtime. I guess that means you're not going to take yours down now then? :D

muckshifter

Reaction score
CITech said:
You worried about them points again Mucks. I notice you are coming up on my tail, day by day. :eek:

I've loaded UD Tweaker with 2 extra WUs so it may cover me over the downtime. I guess that means you're not going to take yours down now then? :D
Nope!

Just making you sweat a little ... :p

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
CITech - (Mucks is going to hate me for saying this :eek: ) I have been running an AMD X2 3800+ with the WCG Agent + UD Tweaker, and also another one with Boinc(enhanced).

Both rigs have a similar spec (if anything the one running the WCG Agent is better as it has more RAM and SATA II Raid0) and I am getting 50% more points using Boinc.

I would suggest you consider going over to boinc with your X2 rig - I'm finding it reliable and just as easy to use, just make sure you delete all traces of WCG and UD Tweaker first :thumb:

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
Cheers Ady, sorry Mucks (I guess we're both off his Xmas card list).

I was wondering how well the two compared, so it's good to see that you have got some accurate benchmarks. I think I will give BOINC a try, to see what this baby can produce.

Are there any good pointers on tweaking the configuration, or it is trial and error?

Thank in advance for any help, especially if it comes from Mucks ..... ;)

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Download Boinc for Windows 5.2.13 from HERE - use the tutorial HERE for help and advice on Installation (although it refers to an earlier version, it is similar)

Once set up, download the enhancement for AMD64 chips HERE and follow the installation instructions.

Remember when re-running the benchmark after adding the enhancement to have no other processes running (inc AV) to get the best possible score as this is what determines how many points you get per WU.

Go to the default boinc profile at your WCG page (Device Manager) and adjust the multi-cpu setting to 2, the network connection time to 0.005 days (don't forget to extend it to 2 days temporarily for the outage 2moro) and the max GB storage to 10.

Once set-up this far, come back and I will suggest a couple of other minor things.

Your X2 4800 should fly, and produce a daily average of around 3500 points or more:thumb:

*Ady slips quietly away hoping Mucks hasn't noticed...:blush:

muckshifter

Reaction score
nup, no worries ... I'll just get a couple dualies

Very little passes these eyes ... as long as I can find my glasses.

I know now why I have kept so close to you ... surprised you didn't try Boinc & Tweak before now. :D

Go for it ... the more returns the better.

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
Adywebb said:
Once set-up this far, come back and I will suggest a couple of other minor things.:blush:
I think we've been rumbled by the cap'n!

Ready for the next update when you're ready Ady.

PS: Are your PMs working Ady?

Ask a Question