Mailwasher/McAfee VirusScam 8 problems

Citizen Smith

Anyone got any experience of mailwasher problems, had it working great then
upgraded to McAfee VirusScan 8 basic version and now mailwasher is all
screwed up, can't dial up and when trying to close give sthis message;
access violation at address 00000001. Read of address FFFFFFFF.

Also installed SpamNetOE_Beta.exe and that won't run at all, keeps coming up
with illegal operation window :((

Any advice greatly appreciated, I'd rather carry on using mailwasher as it
was reducing spam to nearly zero!

TIA

Bart Bailey

In Message-ID:<[email protected]> posted on
I'd rather carry on using mailwasher as it
was reducing spam to nearly zero!

The key word here is "was".
Can you un-install that spam application,
and/or revert back to the earlier functional version of McAfee?

Citizen Smith

Bart Bailey said:
In Message-ID:<[email protected]> posted on

The key word here is "was".
Can you un-install that spam application,
and/or revert back to the earlier functional version of McAfee?

Hi Bart, this gets complicated.

Were running McAfee VirusScam 6 and the DAT renewal period ran out, we
purchased a Dat Renewal Update which wouldn't install even with live help
from McAfee help. McAfee gave us a number, password and the URL of a
download site so we could download and install VS 8 gratis which was
installed but not saved to disc. Shortly after this the machine started
freaking and freezing within two or three key or mouse movements! So just
removing that is not a nice option as it's going to be a bit of a bugger to
replace as the number and password we were given appear to have now expired
(as expected) and our version 6 has no DAT renewals so not much sense
installing that. I had been tempted to buy McAfee VS 5 as I have that on
mine along with Mailwasher and it's excellent at virus detection and the Dat
Renewal doesn't seem to expire.

I'd tried a different spamkiller (SpamNetOE_Beta.exe) which wouldn't work at
all, I'd be happy to try another solution similar to MailWasher but I'm
really impressed at how efficient it is. I'd quite often import my mates
accounts to see how well it deals with their huge amounts of spam and it
works like a dream, even within a week it was reducing the spam by nearly
100%.

I have tried shutting down McAfee and ZoneAlarm along with removing quite a
few programs to try to pinpoint the problem to no avail, it messed about
just as much, would that suggest McAfee could still be the problem?

Appreciate any help.

Ian

Fri, 7 Nov 2003 22:27:02 -0000, Citizen Smith wrote:

would that suggest McAfee could still be the problem?

It sure wouldn't be the first time that McAfee has put the bollocks to
someone's system, so I'm not inclined to rule it out. At some point, you
might want to cut your losses, and give Kaspersky a go.
http://www.avp.ch/E/download.htm#upgrades

I have K/AVP 3.5 and Mailwasher Pro happily coexisting here, and can
only vaguely remember my last tango with McAfee years ago. <g>

Jan Il

Hi Citizen Smith,

Citizen Smith said:
[...]

I am not one of the experts here, but, I currently have McAfee, paid up for
the year. After a few snafu's in which I got a whole wazoolie of nasties
that were undetected because McAfee didn't catch them (luckily I know better
than to ever open any MS door to door deliveries), I decided to take the
advice of a few here who were more experienced than I, and got the AVG 6.0
free program. I had the McAfee active on my test PC, and the AVG on my work
PC. I was very surprised to see that AVG far out performed Big Mc. Thus, at
this point, I no longer use McAfee, I only use the AVG 6.0 freebie...and I
won't be renewing my McAfee paid subscription.

It is sometimes the old adage...simpler is better.... ??? But, in all
things, it is a matter of personal choice. We all look for specific things
we want products to perform or provide for us. I will stick with AVG 6.0
until I have reason to believe that it no longer provides the level of
protection I need/want. It causes no system problems, and, it just works.

JMPO
Jan :)

Citizen Smith

It is sometimes the old adage...simpler is better.... ??? But, in all
things, it is a matter of personal choice. We all look for specific things
we want products to perform or provide for us. I will stick with AVG 6.0
until I have reason to believe that it no longer provides the level of
protection I need/want. It causes no system problems, and, it just works.

JMPO
Jan :)

OK I'll give it a go.

ta

Bart Bailey

In Message-ID:<[email protected]> posted on Fri, 07 Nov
I have K/AVP 3.5 and Mailwasher Pro happily coexisting here

The was an upgraded MWP released last Wednesday that offers some
interesting new options, refinements, and bug fixes
http://tinyurl.com/u840

Oh, and for the AVG guy in Seattle,
KAV released new definitions today, as it does everyday. <g>

Heather

Hi Bart.......there doesn't seem to be any upgrade for the Pro
version......which is usually the way these things work. I have version
3.2. You find anything on the site?

Cheers......the top posting Canuck.

Bart Bailey

In
Hi Bart.......there doesn't seem to be any upgrade for the Pro
version......which is usually the way these things work. I have version
3.2. You find anything on the site?

Of course,
that's why I mentioned it.
I've been using it the last two days, faster access to the hotmail
account, and better handling of deletions.

OK,

wasn't

going

do,

this

but,

here's

the

link:

http://tinyurl.com/n90z

Now that you've gotten this far,
how about posting replies down here too? ;-)

Heather

Bart Bailey said:
In
om>

Of course,
that's why I mentioned it.
I've been using it the last two days, faster access to the hotmail
account, and better handling of deletions.

OK,

wasn't

going

do,

this

but,

here's

the

link:

http://tinyurl.com/n90z

Now that you've gotten this far,
how about posting replies down here too? ;-)
Bart, you silly........I sometimes do when in a 'conventional mood',
which isn't often.

Thanks....I have downloaded it unopened. Do I need to uninstall the 3.2
one first? Or will it just lay over it.

I will drop you

a line

shortly

coz

things are

fine here.

XX Figgs

Bart Bailey

In
Thanks....I have downloaded it unopened. Do I need to uninstall the 3.2
one first? Or will it just lay over it.

No need to un-install 3.2, just shut it down, or you'll get an alert.
You should save your filters.txt file, as it will overwrite that with a
default. the friends/blacklist will remain as will the account info
(it's in the registry), and other preferences. If you've already screwed
up and lost the filter file, lemme know and I'll mail you one.
hint* - zip the filter file, then after install, unzip to overwrite the
default that the new v3.3 creates.
Good Luck

Heather

Bart Bailey said:
In
om>

No need to un-install 3.2, just shut it down, or you'll get an alert.
You should save your filters.txt file, as it will overwrite that with a
default. the friends/blacklist will remain as will the account info
(it's in the registry), and other preferences. If you've already screwed
up and lost the filter file, lemme know and I'll mail you one.
hint* - zip the filter file, then after install, unzip to overwrite the
default that the new v3.3 creates.
Good Luck
Thanks Bart......haven't opened it yet so will follow your
advice.....and I did have another question, but dammit, at my age I am
lucky to remember my name. I will think of it.......eventually, grin.

Aha.....a 30 second delay and I remembered it. It is all to do with the
Registry so will write you off List. Just some guidance as to deleting
certain things. I had a trial of Diskeeper 8 on here and it left a sh*t
load of stuff in the Registry. As did the previous Diskeeper Lite. I
wasn't terribly impressed with it.......and thanx to an MS MVP, my
defrag is now fixed. (missing Optlog.txt and 2 other files)

Figgs

Citizen Smith

Jan Il said:
Hi Citizen Smith,

[...]

Cheers for all the help, removal of McAfee and installation of AVG Free
seems to have solved most of the problems. No more major crashes!!!!

Just got a few little problems with Mailwasher getting confused about
internet connections and we'll be away!!

Cheers.

Jan Il

Hi Citizen Smith!

Citizen Smith said:
Thus, freebie...and

Cheers for all the help, removal of McAfee and installation of AVG Free
seems to have solved most of the problems. No more major crashes!!!!

Just got a few little problems with Mailwasher getting confused about
internet connections and we'll be away!!

Cheers.

So very glad that you've found a solution to your problem. For additional
help with your MW set up questions, go to this forum and ask away.
http://www.computercops.biz/forum50.html

Good luck!!

Jan :)

Jan Il

Hi,... just as a bit of additional info..you might consider replacing the
dot com in your current e-mail addy to dot invalid. This was the first
instruction I was given by one of the experts on my first visit here... ;-))

Jan :)

Citizen Smith

Jan Il said:
Hi,... just as a bit of additional info..you might consider replacing the
dot com in your current e-mail addy to dot invalid. This was the first
instruction I was given by one of the experts on my first visit here... ;-))

Jan :)
Outlook Express won't allow me to post with that e-mail addy. Will visit the
forum
though. Cheers.

Ian

Jan Il

Hi Ian,

Citizen Smith said:
Outlook Express won't allow me to post with that e-mail addy. Will visit the
forum
though. Cheers.

Really? Where are you entering this information? As I recall, when you set
up your newsgroup account in OE, it provides a place for you to do this. I
believe this would normally be done in the Tools | Accounts | News...then
select the news account you want from the list in the News tab window, then
click on the Properties tab, where you should find a place to enter the
E-mail address and Reply address, in which you can enter your munged address
and OE will accept it. It may generate a message box that might say 'This
is not a valid e-mail address, do you still want to use it?', and just click
Yes/OK.

Please excuse my lack of expertise in this, as I said before, I'm not one of
the experts here, but, hopefully, someone will help pitch in and guide you
through this procedure much more accurately than I. ;-))

Best regards, and good luck!
Jan :)

James Egan

OE accepts the e mail addy there, but when I try to post it returns an error
due to the addy and won't deliver :( Until I change back to a valid looking
addy.

Dear Wolfie,

You can't use a ".invalid" (or similar) at the end of your email
address when you use the Berlin Uni (or similar) news server.

Try using ".mailinator.com" as a valid extension as was mentioned here
(or was it acv) recently.

Incidentally, zilch.com which I thought was similar (due to it's use
by AK) generates auto responder unknowns to the poster.

Jim.

Citizen Smith

Hi.

Jan Il said:
Hi Ian,

Really? Where are you entering this information? As I recall, when you set
up your newsgroup account in OE, it provides a place for you to do this. I
believe this would normally be done in the Tools | Accounts | News...then
select the news account you want from the list in the News tab window, then
click on the Properties tab, where you should find a place to enter the
E-mail address and Reply address, in which you can enter your munged address
and OE will accept it. It may generate a message box that might say 'This
is not a valid e-mail address, do you still want to use it?', and just click

Best regards, and good luck!
Jan :)

OE accepts the e mail addy there, but when I try to post it returns an error
due to the addy and won't deliver :( Until I change back to a valid looking
addy.

Forum is great though.

Cheers

Ian