Mailto: link causes IE 6 to crash

I'm having a problem with my new computer and a mail link that is
prepopulated in both the subject and body. It isn't Outlook or Outlook
express that's crashing, it's internet explorer.

The error message that comes up is This program encoutered a problem and
needs to close.

The error details do not show a specific module, it says unknown.

I am running IE and OE 6 and winxp sp2.

I have another computer running the exact same thing and I don't have the
problem. I have not been able to replicate the problem anywhere else. Only
on this brand new Dell 9150.

I had installed Netscape and Firefox - the error occurred on those two
browsers also.

I thought it might be caused by the PCMover program moving over all the
stuff from my old to my new computer, and in turn causing a conflict or
something in the registry.

I ran two registry checker/cleaner programs yesterday. Found lots of
invalid keys (probably from the move) but after I cleaned it all up - I still
had the problem in IE, but now in Firefox or Netscape the browser freezes but
doesn't crash instantly upon clicking the mail link.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling IE and OE. I have refreshed my
scripting engine. I have refreshed my .dll's. I am at a loss as to the
cause or how to fix it. I have run several malware/spyware programs and I
am virus free.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cyndi

Thanks Don,

I've done that and I've uninstalled and reinstalled both IE and OE.

I know that for this link, Lotus users were having the same issue. A
workaround was created for them that sent the email to their email address
which they would then have to forward to whoever they were sending it to
instead of popping an OE window open where you could just enter your
recipient and hit send.

I can use this workaround to get done what i need to get done, but I really
would like to figure out what's causing the problem because the OE process is
much quicker and easier.

Don Varnau said:
Hi,
Try re-registering OE as the default email program

See: http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/faqs/why.htm#reregOE

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

Cyndi29 said:
[...]

Don Varnau

Thanks again Don for trying to help me figure this out.

No, none of the links you give explain what's happening. When i click on
the link, the error message boxes pops up immediately saying Internet
Explorer has encountered an error and will now close. No specific module or
file name called out.

What baffles me is that the problem also happens in Firefox and Netscape but
again ...only at that specific computer.

Thanks so much,
Cyndi

Don Varnau said:
Hi,
An MSKB search found these articles:
OLEXP: Err Msg: Could Not Perform the Operation Because...
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q182985/

OLEXP: Mailto Link Does Not Work with % Character and 2 Letters
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=230768

A new mail message window does not open when you click a mailto link on a
Web page in Outlook 2002 and in Outlook 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;312346&Product=ol2002

Any of them look promising?

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"Cyndi29" <Cyndi29[at]discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
[...]

PA Bear

I'm having a problem with my new computer and a mail link that is
Can you give us a webpage containing such a mail link?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), Aumha.org VSOP, DTS-L.org

:
[...]

Hi PA Bear,

I am unable to give you the web page. It is a secure site that can only be
accessed by logging in.

I did get the code for the mailto: link. Maybe something in there will help
to troubleshoot. The email generates a link to a web based survey.

mailto:?subject=Project Management Issues Survey&body=[Enter a personalized
message here]%0D%0D%0D%0D%0DImportant Note:%0D If you experience difficulty
in accessing this assessment, please provide the following assessment key
when prompted.%0D%0DAssessment Key = 11%0D%0DPlease click on the following
link to participate in the survey.
%0D%0Dhttp%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ecambridgeconsult%2Enet%2FssAssessments%2FPMIS%2EASP%3FSponsor%3D0385E67A%2D3D27%2D4694%2DA81C%2DF8FD3589C93D

Thanks again,
Cyndi

Don Varnau said:
[...]

Sounds like a scripting problem with the link. I wouldn't worry about it
myself.
--
~PA Bear

PA Bear said:
[...]

I do worry about it. I need to be able to click on this link and have it do
what I need it to do. I don't want to have to get up and go to another
computer to accomplish something that I should be able to do no matter what
computer I do it on.

A scripting error wouldn't explain why only this one computer has the problem.

But thanks again you guys for trying to help.

Cyndi

Cyndi29 wrote:
[...]

Is the other PC also running WinXP SP2, fully patched? Do the same
applications & versions of them run in the background on both machines?
I thought it might be caused by the PCMover program moving
over all the stuff from my old to my new computer, and in
turn causing a conflict or something in the registry.

Could be. Was the old machine also running WinXP SP2? (The only way you'd
know for sure would be to format the drive and reinstall Windows.)

The problem /could/ be caused by hijackware.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
http://wiki.castlecops.com/Malware_Removal_and_Prevention:_Introduction
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

When all else fails, HijackThis v1.99.1
(http://aumha.net/downloads/hijackthis.zip) is the preferred tool to use.
It will help you to both identify and remove any hijackware/spyware. **Post
your log to http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22,
http://castlecops.com/forum67.html,
http://forums.subratam.org/index.php?showforum=7,
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30, or other appropriate forums for expert