Mailer-daemon

G

Grace

Today, for the 2nd time in two weeks, I got this kind of message. In each case, the address noted at the bottom does not match any address to which I have mailed (I guess it could have been forwarded there from some other address to which I did mail, and then rejected - is that right?), although it looks like the type of address to which I might mail (an investment firm). In the past, I could trust these messages and got them from addresses to which I'd mailed. Can someone explain whether this is some sort of a scam. The address it came from shows as

Mail Delivery System [[email protected]]

This is the Postfix program at host newbrave.cypresscom.net.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that the message returned

below could not be delivered to one or more destinations.

For further assistance, please send mail to <postmaster>

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can delete your own text from the message returned below.

The Postfix program

<[email protected]>: host mail.westparkfund.com[216.230.64.10] said: 550

unknown user <[email protected]>

D

Diane Poremsky

it's caused by a virus sending mail with your address in the from field. (This don't mean you are infected - but someone who has your address or saw your address on a web page or newsgroup post is.)

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours
Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide)

Today, for the 2nd time in two weeks, I got this kind of message. In each case, the address noted at the bottom does not match any address to which I have mailed (I guess it could have been forwarded there from some other address to which I did mail, and then rejected - is that right?), although it looks like the type of address to which I might mail (an investment firm). In the past, I could trust these messages and got them from addresses to which I'd mailed. Can someone explain whether this is some sort of a scam. The address it came from shows as

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can delete your own text from the message returned below.

The Postfix program

G

Grace

So are you are saying that someone else's computer is sending e-mails on my behalf, meaning e-mails sent to others that appear to the recipient to be coming from me? I think I'd rather have the virus myself!
it's caused by a virus sending mail with your address in the from field. (This don't mean you are infected - but someone who has your address or saw your address on a web page or newsgroup post is.)

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours
Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide)

The Postfix program

Ask a Question