Mail Merge to Email

dlcpa

I have a few questions about this.

1. If your output of a mail merge is to emails, can each email
include a common attachment and if so, how do you do it?

2. I followed the directions from Help and created a document with
the following merge fields (these are emails going to attorneys):

<<First Name>> <<Middle Name>> <<Last Name>>, Esq.
<<Address1>>
<<Address 2>>
<<City>>, <<State>> <Postal Code>>

Dear <<First Name>>: A then here I put the text

There was no place to put attachments because the document was a
regular Word document.

Most important, not a singe field merged in from the list I chose and
the emails were created without the merged fields. I saw something
about MAPI. Do I need to set that up first?

Dennis
(e-mail address removed) remove the ZZZ

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Outlook does not support attachments in merges to electronic mail. You'd
need third party software for that.

dlcpa

Thanks Russ,

I assume that goes for the newer versions also and do you know the
names of any solid but inexpensive third party programs that do this?

When I did the merge, I created 15 emails, with the correct email
addresses, the correct boilerplate text but no name and address data
from the contacts. I thought I followed all the directions correctly.
Is there something special that I have to run to get MAPI exhange
going?

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
[...]

There are several listed here:
http://www.slipstick.com/addins/mail.htm#massmail

You left out too much information for anyone to answer your second question.
Provide a more accurate description of the steps you used in this merge.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
[...]

Yep, I can see that,

I filtered my contacts to utilize on one category that had about 75
contacts and of those 50 had emails.

On TOOLS , selected ===.> Mail Merge =====>
All Contacts in Current View and All fields
New Document
Form Letter E-mail Subject: email merge test
OK

That opened a blank document in Word
I hit NEW to get my letterhead template up to copy it into the new
letter......did that
Typed in the date

clicked on little box to Insert Merge Fields

clicked on address fields (couldn't use block because I needed to put
Esq after the last name

Right now I see that by using the address fields, I was usung empty
fields

I corrected that...used the default database fields and everything was
OK except, I created letters not emails. I assume I made a selection
mistake but I think I did select E-mails (next to form letter) on the
bottom line.

[...]

Alexander Gorlach

Hello!

I know only one 3rd party program (and it is really inexpensive) to
include attachments in Office mail merge -- Mail Merge Toolkit:

http://www.mapilab.com/outlook/mail_merge/

Mail Merge Toolkit is powerful add-in for Microsoft Office to extend
mail merging capabilities in Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Word and
Microsoft Publisher. It allows doing the following:

- Insert data fields into message subject, so that not only contents of
message but also its subject is personalized.

- One or more files can be attached to messages.

- To send HTML, RTF messages from Microsoft Word and Microsoft Outlook
so
that the security system doesn't interfere and Internet links remain
working (some problems with Internet links are already fixed by Office
XP
Service Pack 2, but not all).

- Send messages to multiple recipients in HTML, RTF and GIF formats
right
from Microsoft Publisher.

- When sending GIF messages from MS Publisher, HTML-links can be
assigned
for image areas (the image map technology). By using messages in GIF,
you
may be sure that your recipient will be able to read it with any email
client.

And so on...

Alexander Gorlach,
MAPILab Ltd.
http://www.mapilab.com/
Posted At: Tuesday, June 29, 2004 3:27 AM
Posted To: microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Conversation: Mail Merge to Email
Subject: Re: Mail Merge to Email

[...]

Why did you select New?
Your merge document was already created for you. Selecting New would start a
different merge document.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
[...]

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 16:37:13 -0500, "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]"

Outlook does not support attachments in merges to electronic mail. You'd
need third party software for that.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
I have a few questions about this.

1. If your output of a mail merge is to emails, can each email
include a common attachment and if so, how do you do it?

2. I followed the directions from Help and created a document with
the following merge fields (these are emails going to attorneys):

<<First Name>> <<Middle Name>> <<Last Name>>, Esq.
<<Address1>>
<<Address 2>>
<<City>>, <<State>> <Postal Code>>

Any personal experience using any of the products listed
on the site?

Venkat
[...]

.

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Nope. Sorry. I can barely keep up with Outlook, let alone the add-ins.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
[...]

Russ or anyone,

Yep, I saw that I didn't have to set-up a new document and since then
I have used existing document.

Now, as we progress, I was able to due the merge and it went well on
the trial except the format got terribly screwed up in the email. I
use my professional stationery template with three text boxes on top.
One large one for my Name, Prof Designations, address, telephones and
two others flanking it for memberships and noting the exclusivity of
my practice.

In the emails the text boxes are vertical, not a "wishbone", as they
appear in Word.

Then the text got screwed up. It overruns the right margin of the
email. I am using HTML and Word as my editor. I even tried disabling
filtering. When my e-mail opens, the scale on the top goes from 0 to
10. I tried to bring in the margins but I can't. I don't understand
why a regular Word document doesn't go in as is. Actually, the
original document has columns with my picture in the middle of the two
columns with the text wrapped around it. Those columns were removed in
the email and the picture and another text box, highlighting a
sentence in the article were off to the side. This, by the way, was a
document that nobody on AOL (of those I sent it to) could read when
sent as an attachment (the document was 250K because my picture was
inserted), so my original attachment idea was a moot point and that's
why I stuck the article in the email.

My questions now are:

1. Do I give up the text boxes and the columns.
2. How do I get the letter to fit within the margins of the email.

Your questions are for a Word group.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
[...]

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 19:16:55 -0500, "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]"

[...]

Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

Instead of text boxes and columns, you should be using tables to lay out a
document used to produce HTML-format mail messages.

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
Author of

[...]

Sue your advice was terrific. I always thought tables were very
simplistic versions of Excel. I was able to get my picture in a table
cell and it was embedded in an email sent to AOL. It worked on
version 8 at least. Do you know if it works on the older versions?

As far as putting the columns into adjacent cells, that might not be
so easy because you don't know where the text breaks and the article
in 3 1/2 pages long. Can you put columns inside a large cell?

Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

You cannot use newpaper-style columns at all in an HTML message unless it's
with some pretty fancy style sheet work (beyond my CSS skills). You have to
decide where to put the breaks for maximum on-screen readability.

I don't know anything about AOL compatibility with different HTML tags in
email messages.

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
Author of