Mail Merge and Graphic Insertion in OL/Word

Colonel Blip

Hello, All!

I am creating a picture directory using Outlook and mail merge. I have all
of the pictures available on my hard drive so I can do the mail merge and
then insert the respective picture for each directory entry. However, it
would be nice if the MM feature from OL supported the graphic in the OL
Contacts. Maybe it does and I haven't discovered how. So this prompts 2
questions:

1. Is there a way to mail merge the picture in each contact entry along with
the other pertinent name/address/etc.?

2. Assuming there is not and I have to insert individual pictures into the
finalized mail merge I have a different issue. I have to resize every
individual picture after I insert it into Word. Is there a way to set up
Word where the insert will be automatically sized to a predetermined size?

Thanks,
Colonel Blip.
E-mail: (e-mail address removed)

Graham Mayor

You can't insert the graphic from the Outlook database, but if you have the
graphics named appropriately you can merge them from the hard drive - see
http://www.gmayor.com/mail_merge_graphics.htm

As for sizing, merge them into a fixed width table cell (without border?).
The graphic will adapt to the width of that cell (provided the graphic is
larger than the cell).

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

Graham Mayor

Assuming the picture is named according to the content of the last_name
field eg Smith and is stored in the folder O:\TEMP, then for Smith.jpg, the
syntax that is required is:

{INCLUDEPICTURE "O:\\TEMP\\{Mergefield "Last_Name"}.JPG"}
or
{INCLUDEPICTURE "O:/TEMP/{Mergefield "Last_Name"}.JPG"}

The quotes around Last_Name are optional.

You must merge to a new document then select all (CTRL+A) and update (F9) of
use the update macro at http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm

Please do not post attachments, only those of us who access via NNTP will
even have the opportunity to see them and that is severely discouraged in
text based news groups. If you want to reproduce field constructions in a
message, use the macro at http://www.gmayor.com/export_field.htm

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

Colonel Blip

Hello, Graham!
You wrote on Sun, 27 Aug 2006 08:57:48 +0300:

Thanks on both counts. I think I was missing the update (F9) part and should
have known better. Working now.

Thanks again,

Colonel Blip.
E-mail: (e-mail address removed)

GM> Assuming the picture is named according to the content of the last_name
GM> field eg Smith and is stored in the folder O:\TEMP, then for Smith.jpg,
GM> the syntax that is required is:

GM> {INCLUDEPICTURE "O:\\TEMP\\{Mergefield "Last_Name"}.JPG"}
GM> or
GM> {INCLUDEPICTURE "O:/TEMP/{Mergefield "Last_Name"}.JPG"}

GM> The quotes around Last_Name are optional.

GM> You must merge to a new document then select all (CTRL+A) and update
GM> (F9) of use the update macro at

GM> Please do not post attachments, only those of us who access via NNTP
GM> will even have the opportunity to see them and that is severely
GM> discouraged in text based news groups. If you want to reproduce field
GM> constructions in a message, use the macro at
http://www.gmayor.com/export_field.htm

Graham Mayor

It is clearly stated in the linked article :(
However a graphic contained in the original page has not reproduced. I have
now reinserted the image and hopefully the link should now be even clearer?
It is uploading now.
--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

Colonel Blip

Hello, Graham!
You wrote on Mon, 28 Aug 2006 09:26:41 +0300:

It was indeed and I have some other forms that I update every week with
Ctrl-A, F9. I was just so focussed on the right code that I missed (or
ignored) other instructions.

Thanks,

Colonel Blip.
E-mail: (e-mail address removed)

GM> It is clearly stated in the linked article :(
GM> However a graphic contained in the original page has not reproduced. I
GM> have now reinserted the image and hopefully the link should now be even
GM> clearer? It is uploading now.
GM> --
GM> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
GM> Graham Mayor - Word MVP

GM> My web site www.gmayor.com
GM>
GM> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

GM> Colonel Blip wrote:
??>> Hello, Graham!

Graham Mayor

If you hadn't raised the question, I wouldn't have rechecked my web page and
discovered the missing graphic ;)

--
Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com