Made any Fudge?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Has anyone here made fudge before, and is it easy to do? We bought some from York on Sunday and I forgot how nice it is :D

The recipes on the net don't seem too complex at all, but they vary wildly in ingredients! If anyone has a recipe they have tried before I'll give it a go :thumb:

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
My mum showed me how to make it when I was about 14 and I regularly made it up until I was about 18 but then went off it..(Probably because I'd eaten so much).

Haven't made any in over 20 years and virtually forgotten my mums recipe..Might have to get her to jog my memory again the next time I go round there...Sorry I can't help yet Ian...

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
you didnt by anychance go to the fudge kitchen ? i got some whilst i was there and it was just amazing, they have some strange but very tasty combo's as well

have no idea about making it but may give it a go if its easy

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Here you go Ian, this recipe is courtesy of my "Good Housekeeping" Cook book. :D

Vanilla Fudge

450 g granulated sugar
50 g butter
150 ml evaporated milk
150 ml milk
Few drops vanilla essence

Grease a tin 15 cm x 15 cm

Put the sugar, butter and milks into a 3-pint heavy-based saucepan and heat gently until the sugar has dissolved and the fat melted. Bring to the boil and boil steadily to 116 deg C (which is "soft ball" stage) stirring occasionally. Remove the pan from the heat, place on a cool surface, add the vanilla and beat until the mixture becomes thick and creamy and "grains" i.e., until minute crystals form. Pour it immediately into the tin. Leave until nearly cold and mark into squares with a sharp knife, using a sawing motion. When it is firm, cut into squares. Makes about 450 g.

There are variations, which I'm sure others will post, but maybe this will help to get you going :D

Reaction score
What were you doing in York Ian, apart from buying fudge!! lol. Thats where i live now. I was in York city centre bout midday!!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Crazylegs, let me know if you do try making it again :thumb: I think I may not have it for 20 years too once I've made a giant batch :lol:

Me__2001 - Yup, it was the Fudge Kitchen :D I got the choc orange flavor, it was great :D

Taffycat, that looks easy enough for me to do so I think I'll give that a whirl next week when I'm off :)

Bohdi, I was meeting my mum for a mothers day meal - its halfway between Newcastle and Manchester so it was a good meeting place. It's such a nice place :)

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
Fudge.... Mmmmmmmmmmm
can't remember the last time I had it. If I recall, the recipie is very easy is just a matter of getting the timing right to get that texture. may come right first time, but if it doesn't don't worry. A few more practices will get it sorted :nod:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
And even if it's a "disaster" you can still enjoy eating the evidence :lol: ;)

BigJay

Kingsize Crunchie
Reaction score
We really need Pikakilla to answer this, he used to pack fudge
laughingsmiley.gif

So if anyone knows, it will be him;).

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Here we go :D Just made this 5 mins ago, I'll let you know what it's like tonight :thumb:

attachment.php

Attachments

• fudge.jpg
    fudge.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 143

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Theres about 0.7kg there so it's gonna last a good few weeks :lol: (or hours)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Just tried it.... Mmmmmmmmmmmm :D Not as good as the fudge kitchens, but still very tasty :)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
Me__2001 - Yup, it was the Fudge Kitchen :D I got the choc orange flavor, it was great :D

I have just been browsing around and wondered if you knew that you can order on-line from The Fudge Kitchen? http://www.fudgekitchen.co.uk I am amazed to see their huge range of fudge as we don't have any of their shops around here, but it all looks very mouthwatering. :D

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
mumble mumble mumble ... bugger

You lot are trying to kill me ... :eek:

;)

Ask a Question