Macros, not enabling them or disabling them but stopping the warning message.


D

Derrick Fawsitt

Every time I open a word document it seems like I get a warning offering
me to "enable or disable" macros. At this stage of "Victor Meldrew-ism"
that I have reached I would do anything, "anything" to remove the
"**//@@;?!" notice. What caused it can come later, just tell me
please how to stop this "offer" being made to me on what seems every
occasion I need to open a document in a hurry.
Many thanks,
 
Ad

Advertisements

S

Shenan Stanley

Derrick said:
Every time I open a word document it seems like I get a warning
offering me to "enable or disable" macros. At this stage of "Victor
Meldrew-ism" that I have reached I would do anything, "anything" to
remove the "**//@@;?!" notice. What caused it can come later, just
tell me please how to stop this "offer" being made to me on what
seems every occasion I need to open a document in a hurry.
Many thanks,
The answer was right there. You wasted more time posting and waiting on the
answer than you would of doing the research.

Open Word (no document) and select the HELP and search it for "macro" then
select the one titled something like "Change the security level for macro
virus protection".

Because macros can contain viruses, be careful about running them. Take the
following precautions: run up-to-date antivirus software on your computer;
set your macro security level to high; clear the Trust all installed add-ins
and templates check box; use digital signatures; maintain a list of trusted
publishers.

1. On the Tools menu, click Options.
2. Click the Security tab.
3. Under Macro Security, click Macro Security.
4. Click the Security Level tab, and then select the security level you want
to use.

You likely need to LOWER your security level. You cannot? Talk to your
system administrator.
 
M

Mike Brearley

I'm assuming that you want to *not* run the macros and don't want to see a
message asking about them. Well, Shenan's response is probably something
you're already aware of so hence, the answer wasn't right in fronr of you.

As far as I know (and posting the the word newsgroup may provide a different
or even more helpful answer) there isn't a way to turn off the message. You
could try setting your security settings to high, but I think you'll still
see the warning asking about the macro (but maybe not).

The best course of action would be to determine what Macro is trying to run
when you open a blank document. Have you installed anything recently that
might have had a 'word' plugin? If so, try to remove the plug-in. You
could check what Marco's are listed and remove them.

Hope any of this helps...

--
Posted 'as is'. If there are any spelling and/or grammar mistakes, they
were a direct result of my fingers and brain not being synchronized or my
lack of caffeine.

Mike Brearley (mike_brearley at hotmail dot com)
 
S

Shenan Stanley

Derrick said:
Every time I open a word document it seems like I get a warning
offering me to "enable or disable" macros. At this stage of "Victor
Meldrew-ism" that I have reached I would do anything, "anything" to
remove the "**//@@;?!" notice. What caused it can come later,
just tell me please how to stop this "offer" being made to me on
what seems every occasion I need to open a document in a hurry.
Mike said:
I'm assuming that you want to *not* run the macros and don't want to
see a message asking about them. Well, Shenan's response is probably
something you're already aware of so hence, the answer wasn't right
in fronr of you.

As far as I know (and posting the the word newsgroup may provide a
different or even more helpful answer) there isn't a way to turn off
the message. You could try setting your security settings to high,
but I think you'll still see the warning asking about the macro (but
maybe not).

The best course of action would be to determine what Macro is trying
to run when you open a blank document. Have you installed anything
recently that might have had a 'word' plugin? If so, try to remove
the plug-in. You could check what Marco's are listed and remove them.
All answers are right in front of those to put forth effort.

Try this as well if the loosening/tightening of security does not help:
http://beta.experts-exchange.com/Applications/MS_Office/Q_20558818.html
 
M

Mike Brearley

Have you ever thought that those that ask questions here might not be able
to find the answer on their own as easily as you think they could. Yes,
research probably would resolve the issue, but there are many times where
someone just doesn't have the time to waste doing the research, hence they
ask the question here and hope someone has run into it before and can offer
a quick solution. In this case, they post the message (total of 1 minute
max), go about their normal business, check back once in awhile (10 seconds
max), after someone responds with a solution, they implement the solution
and either thank the person or not (1-2 minutes). So then they've spent 2-3
minutes on the problem and probably recieved a response from someone that
had this issue before and was able to figure it out (possibly someone that
was able to spend the time researching it).

So, are you saying that no one should post without first researching the
problem on their own first? If that's the case, let's just patition
Microsoft to close down these forums as asking peers for help is no longer
acceptable.

--
Posted 'as is'. If there are any spelling and/or grammar mistakes, they
were a direct result of my fingers and brain not being synchronized or my
lack of caffeine.

Mike Brearley (mike_brearley at hotmail dot com)
 
D

Derrick Fawsitt

Mike said:
Have you ever thought that those that ask questions here might not be able
to find the answer on their own as easily as you think they could. Yes,
research probably would resolve the issue, but there are many times where
someone just doesn't have the time to waste doing the research, hence they
ask the question here and hope someone has run into it before and can offer
a quick solution. In this case, they post the message (total of 1 minute
max), go about their normal business, check back once in awhile (10 seconds
max), after someone responds with a solution, they implement the solution
and either thank the person or not (1-2 minutes). So then they've spent 2-3
minutes on the problem and probably recieved a response from someone that
had this issue before and was able to figure it out (possibly someone that
was able to spend the time researching it).

So, are you saying that no one should post without first researching the
problem on their own first? If that's the case, let's just patition
Microsoft to close down these forums as asking peers for help is no longer
acceptable.
Mike, I have to say your comments are long overdue to be said and I am
not especially thinking of this NG but for example the Demon NG which is
notorious for treating people badly who happen to ask a question that
"they" think is unnecessary. Actually I don't think anyone here has done
that to me. Having said that, perhaps a little understanding that people
can have "weak spots" in their knowledge that creates difficulties in
them researching a problem. Let we give you an example, two in fact,
Shenan very kindly, (yes very kindly), gave me a way of sorting out my
Macros problem, (with a gentle admonishment that I could have looked
into it myself). However, having read his solution and printed it out,
through no fault of Shenan's, I am still a bit in the dark in
understanding his procedure. I can tell you however, in other aspects of
IT I might be able to give him a few tips, (you never know), but Macros
are something I have not grappled with before and I am groping at
understanding them/it.
What puzzles me is I did not have this problem until recently and I
simply wish to get back to that state, that's all. I am further puzzled
that now this new situation has appeared in my system I seem to be
getting information that I cannot get rid of it, at least easily. I
hasten to add I hope I am describing my situation correctly, if not,
please be kind and realise what I said earlier, I am quite "at sea" with
this Macros problem, therefore I am not yet able to understand some of
the solutions suggested or to implement them yet.
 
Ad

Advertisements

D

Derrick Fawsitt

Derrick Fawsitt said:
Mike, I have to say your comments are long overdue to be said and I am
not especially thinking of this NG but for example the Demon NG which
is notorious for treating people badly who happen to ask a question
that "they" think is unnecessary. Actually I don't think anyone here
has done that to me. Having said that, perhaps a little understanding
that people can have "weak spots" in their knowledge that creates
difficulties in them researching a problem. Let we give you an example,
two in fact,
Sorry for following my own post but I omitted the second example of what
appears to be insoluble problems. I have now got a situation in my mail
client Turnpike that all my web pages open up in the "diminished" (?)
mode and have to be resized on every occasion. I have yet to find anyone
who can say what is wrong or how to fix it, in fact I have given up
until I can get my PC man here to check my system. Therefore, like the
Macros, I have a situation that I simply cannot resolve myself no matter
how much research I do, over to you....
 
S

Shenan Stanley

Mike said:
Have you ever thought that those that ask questions here might not be
able to find the answer on their own as easily as you think they
could. Yes, research probably would resolve the issue, but there are
many times where someone just doesn't have the time to waste doing
the research, hence they ask the question here and hope someone has
run into it before and can offer a quick solution. In this case,
they post the message (total of 1 minute max), go about their normal
business, check back once in awhile (10 seconds max), after someone
responds with a solution, they implement the solution and either
thank the person or not (1-2 minutes). So then they've spent 2-3
minutes on the problem and probably recieved a response from someone
that had this issue before and was able to figure it out (possibly
someone that was able to spend the time researching it).

So, are you saying that no one should post without first researching
the problem on their own first? If that's the case, let's just
patition Microsoft to close down these forums as asking peers for
help is no longer acceptable.
No, I am not saying that.

I am - perhaps a little on the harsh side - sorry - my mood has not been the
greatest as of late - suggesting that the help facilities of the
applications be utilized first in most cases. If then, the problem is not
understood, ask it here with the details on what you have tried.

I realize in this case, it usually seems to happen to the OP when they are
in a hurry, but my suggestion to them would be to not only take the answer I
gave (and I still give what I believe to be a possible solution to the
problem) but to research a little using the same facility I did. Otherwise
I would be assuming that the OPs time was, in fact, more valuable than my
own. I do not condemn people for seeking knowledge, I want them to know the
paths available to them for the search. This newsgroup, while a very good
resource, is not the only "game in town" - nor should it be.

I apologize for my harsh tone, and perhaps now that I have had a bit to
relax and let out frustrations, it will be a while before the next
"outburst". I especially apologize to the OP (Original Poster) if they took
any offense to what I said (or more aptly put - HOW I said it.)
 
Ad

Advertisements

D

Derrick Fawsitt

Shenan Stanley said:
No, I am not saying that.

I am - perhaps a little on the harsh side - sorry - my mood has not been the
greatest as of late - suggesting that the help facilities of the
applications be utilized first in most cases. If then, the problem is not
understood, ask it here with the details on what you have tried.

I realize in this case, it usually seems to happen to the OP when they are
in a hurry, but my suggestion to them would be to not only take the answer I
gave (and I still give what I believe to be a possible solution to the
problem) but to research a little using the same facility I did. Otherwise
I would be assuming that the OPs time was, in fact, more valuable than my
own. I do not condemn people for seeking knowledge, I want them to know the
paths available to them for the search. This newsgroup, while a very good
resource, is not the only "game in town" - nor should it be.

I apologize for my harsh tone, and perhaps now that I have had a bit to
relax and let out frustrations, it will be a while before the next
"outburst". I especially apologize to the OP (Original Poster) if they took
any offense to what I said (or more aptly put - HOW I said it.)
Absolutely none, as you can see from my previous post. Also, as I said
in that post, I have been "brought up" in the Demon Internet Support
Turnpike, (d.i.s.t) NG and anyone who has experience of that NG knows
what "flaming" can be like.
Finally, I have carried out your advice and my problem with macros seems
to have gone, (touch wood). However, I have an ongoing problem with
pages, (usually in my email client Turnpike), opening in the reduced
mode, (for want of the proper word) and I have to maximise them every
time. I just quote it here as an example of a problem which seems to me
insoluble and even to the TP newsgroup, not an easy one. However, I can
live with it until the "real expert" comes along with a magic
solution;-))

Thanks again.
 

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top