MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION 0x0000009c

I'm having a problem with my computer. I have recently upgraded the CPU,
motherboard, RAM and graphics card. after upgrading i did a complete
reinstall of windows XP and installed the latest (non beta) drivers for all
my hardware.

now when i am watching a video my system freezes for several seconds then
the computer goes to a bluw screen with the following error:

STOP MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION 0x0000009c (0x00000004, 0x80545FF0, 0xB2000000,
0x00070F0F)

this has happened 5 times now, always when viewing videos in windows media
player

the only thing i can think of that might be causing it is that my graphics
card has had it's BIOS flashed and is overclocked, but the errors always
occur when the card is running at stock speeds (i use auto overclocking to
only overclock the card when i'm running a 3d App)

My system is as follows:

AMD Athlon A64 3500+
Asus A8N-E
1GB (2x512MB) Kingston RAM running in dual channel configuration
Sapphire ATI x800GTO2

If anyone has any ideas could they let me know, i'll try and get back to
here to read the posts but i can also be reached by email on mark-littlewood
(at) tiscali (dot) co (dot) uk

Many Thanks in advance

Mark

Shenan Stanley

Mark said:
[...]

Unfortunately - that *is* a hardware error. Some piece of hardware in your
system is causing that error to occur.
Could be anything that you replaced - or even an older part. You will have
to troubleshoot them one at a time.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

I have exactly the same error My system was as follows:

AMD Athlon A64 3400+
MSI K8N NEO PLATINIUM
1GB (2x512MB) no name
ATI 9500

I now replace by
AMD Athlon A64X2 4400+
ASUS A8NSLI Premium
1GB (2x512MB) corsair
nvidia 7800GT
And i have always the same problem

Philip Soeberg

So do you run 3D applications without problems? Is it only when using
windows media player the problem arise? What about other media players?

Part of your problem could be power starvation. Now, this is not the
issue if you can run 3D applications. If you can't, it might be. The
7800GT is a power hungry beast, which in a test drew nothing less that
343Watts by itself.
What is the rating of your power supply unit?

I agree it sounds like a graphic card problem.. have you tried swapping
it with an older card? Scale back, and see if system stability is
regained.

ajpieper

I have the same problem my system is a
Gateway GT5032
AMD Athlon 64x2 4200+
1024 mb
6100 GeForce

My system is less than 4months old. Whenever I put a DVD in F drive
(Philips DROM 6216) it asks what program I would like to view DVD with.
Then goes blue...

I have not tweeked a thing.

Power supply great.

I have done system restore to earliest point.. still no fix

The same drive will play cd just fine.

Every now and then I try to start the computer and it will not boot. No
beeps/ just a black screen. May or may not be related.

I spoke with the guys at Gateway they reccomend I disconnect all
power/cables/and take out the battery on the motherboard for a CMOS
reset.

I haven't tried it yet. Seems like a waste of time - but will post my
results.

Thanks ajpieper

ajpieper

Rick said:
See also:

STOP: 0x0000009C (0x00000004, 0x00000000, 0xb2000000, 0x00020151) ...
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=329284

What you may have is faulty memory or incorrectly set timing in the
system
BIOS.

--
Best of Luck,

Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

benhur8 Wrote:
:

Mark wrote:
[...]

*** update *** I sent my in computer into Gateway for repair. Tried it
out when I got it back. %&$@#+@ EXACT SAME ERROR.

What a waste of time.

PS I have added NO Hardware but Monitor and Printer. They checkout
fine. If it is a hardware conflict it came out of the box that way.

Jeff

Rick Rogers

Time to exercise your warranty. Tell Gateway that it's still broken and you
want a machine that isn't. Exchange it or get a refund.