Mac OSX virus

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
Anyone know anything about this new virus? It says it is downloading through chat site software but that's pretty much all that I know sorry.
It hit the headlines over here as the first virus to crack & target the Mac OSX system. I must admit that I heard the same from my Mac shop when I took my comp in for a wash & wave after the tea spill (only it was none back then of course) & I must admit that I've always wondered if this is true?

Either way I don't expect it'll be the last. But they're saying f. all on the news about what it actually does.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Once again, this is not a "virus", per se, but rather a trojan that could potentially have virus-like properties. ;)

It uses a custom icon (that appears to be a jpeg) to trick users into double-clicking it. We've seen this before, but what's unique about this one is that it's actually a unix executable. If this is indeed a real Mac OS X unix binary executable that can successfully infect other executables and otherwise easily ... or self-propagate via some means, we may then have the first genuine Mac OS X-specific "virus" on our hands.

A file called "latestpics.tgz" was posted on a Mac rumors web site "www dot macrumors dot com", claiming to be pictures of "MacOS X Leopard" (an upcoming version of MacOS X, aka "MacOS X 10.5"). It is actually a Trojan (or arguably, a very non-virulent virus). We'll call it "Oompa-Loompa" (aka "OSX/Oomp-A") for reasons that will become obvious.
You cannot be infected by this unless you do all of the following:
1) Are somehow sent (via email, iChat, etc.) or download the "latestpics.tgz" file
2) Double-click on the file to decompress it
3) Double-click on the resulting file to "open" it
and then for most users, you must also enter your Admin password.
You cannot simply "catch" the virus. Even if someone does send you the "latestpics.tgz" file, you cannot be infected unless you unarchive the file, and then open it.

http://www.ambrosiasw.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=102379

:D

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
Thanks mucks, I've had a good check out of it & it looks pretty harmless in itself, but as it says on the ambrosia forum, it probably won't be the last so I'll keep an eye out. :) Thanks again, I've bookmarked the sites I found through your link & reckon I'll cruise past them every now & then just to see what's up.

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
It was only a matter of time before it happened...

Ask a Question