low-power automatic hibernate hangs but manual hibernate works ok

I have a dell D610 laptop. Hibernate works great whenever I hibernate
manually either with the function key or from the start menu.

However, when the laptop's battery runs low and it automatically hibernates,
the system hangs and does not hibernate. I sat and watched it once to see
what happens -- the hibernation dialog pops up saying that it is hibernating,
but the mouse stops moving and that is the end of it -- nothing ever happens.
There does appears to be periodic hard drive activity which is odd -- but it
is very intermittent -- maybe I was seeing things but I thought I saw the
hard drive light flash a couple times. In any case, I even plugged it back
in to see if would just take a while to hibernate, and I let it sit there for
at least 15 minutes and nothing...

So... what could be happening when the battery low meter starts the
hibernation automatically vs. when I hibernate manually? Why would one work
and the other hang? How can I troublesheet and fix?

Thanks!

Dallas Overturf

Just a guess here (I'm noexpert or MVP) but from your post; you say the
battery level is being detected as low is causing hibernaton. Perhaps the
battery is too low to finish hibernation. Can you set the detection level?
if so; that might cure it(could be a question to email Dellsupport)?

Ie: if you can set this; if it is set to detect bat low at 10% left try
setting it up a little to 15-20%.

Another possibility is if you battery is old it may be getting "tired" at
the low end and failing somewhat.

HTH Regards, Dallas...

Yes, I thought of that and tried setting it to hibernate at 80%... same thing
- it immediately hung (mouse freeze) when it started to hibernate. Note that
when I manually hibernate the mouse does not freeze. Also, I tried another
test where when it went into the battery low hibernate I plugged it back in
and that did not make a difference either.

Dallas Overturf

You mention manually hibernating it works okay... I've run into two folks
where I believe that memory leakage eventually becomes a problem (it caused
them both to run very slow after about a week)
because they were both using Hibernate as a way to shutdown and be able to
boot up quickly. Probably not your problem but just in case;
Have you clicked on Start -> Turnoff so that the machine does a full
shutdown?

After that you'll need one of the MVPs out here or maybe Dell.
That's the last though I've got; short of tryin a full re-install from CD;
and they
can advise you better on that.
Regards,
Dallas...

--
Home Page: www.geocities.com/d_overturf/index.html
Newsgroups to reply to me me via email, please fix the email address

I did do some of my testing right after powering off and doing a fresh
startup (as opposed to coming back from hibernation), so I don't think that
is the issue. However, I do use hibernate to save time and save the
occasioinal reboot for windows updates etc.