Low Network utilization

W

William K. Bunch

I have 2 computers Both running Windows XP Home SP2 w/Windows Live One Care
One computer is still using CAT5e cable with a Broadcom NIC 10/100/1000 and it says it is running at 100Mbps Full Duplex (this one is going wireless soon)

The computer in question has CAT6e cable VIA NIC 10/100 set to auto negotiate (duplex unknown)
The router is Linksys BEFSR41 which according to Linksys can auto trigger full duplex when it needs to it also has been upgraded to CAT6e from the router to the cable modem (15Mbps down 2.5Mbps up) Already had the house completely rewired with (what they said was the best cable on the market).
Also have a NAS Device with CAT6e as well.

I have the regular joe protocols installed including QoS (disabled QoS on the router)

I can get up to 20% network utilization then drops off to 1% then back to 20% and sometimes very rare 25% nothing over that.
I can only download on avg 600KB/sec unless I download from Microsoft website then I can maintain up to 2.3Mbps. I was wondering if there is a problem with my computer, the network or something else. I went to Speakeasy and it says I am getting the right speed both up and down. I have tried transferring files across the network and it takes for ever 5 gigs of mp3s takes about 1 hr.

I thought with the speed I am paying for less overhead I should be able to get at least 4Mbps downloads and transfer files across the network or at least to the NAS at about 50% network Utilization but it seems my network is slower now. Would a crossover cable between the router and modem help at all the router is able to detect crossovers. I read the Microsoft KB on the QoS service 20% thing they said it was a lie. I don't know what else to buy to fix this I bought XP Pro so Ican monitor the network better than with XP Home.

Thanks
William

W

William Bunch

I upgraded to XP Pro and now it seems some of the problems went away and now back to 30% Network Utilization can it get higher? How can I make it get higher?
I have 2 computers Both running Windows XP Home SP2 w/Windows Live One Care
One computer is still using CAT5e cable with a Broadcom NIC 10/100/1000 and it says it is running at 100Mbps Full Duplex (this one is going wireless soon)

The computer in question has CAT6e cable VIA NIC 10/100 set to auto negotiate (duplex unknown)
The router is Linksys BEFSR41 which according to Linksys can auto trigger full duplex when it needs to it also has been upgraded to CAT6e from the router to the cable modem (15Mbps down 2.5Mbps up) Already had the house completely rewired with (what they said was the best cable on the market).
Also have a NAS Device with CAT6e as well.

I have the regular joe protocols installed including QoS (disabled QoS on the router)

I can get up to 20% network utilization then drops off to 1% then back to 20% and sometimes very rare 25% nothing over that.
I can only download on avg 600KB/sec unless I download from Microsoft website then I can maintain up to 2.3Mbps. I was wondering if there is a problem with my computer, the network or something else. I went to Speakeasy and it says I am getting the right speed both up and down. I have tried transferring files across the network and it takes for ever 5 gigs of mp3s takes about 1 hr.

I thought with the speed I am paying for less overhead I should be able to get at least 4Mbps downloads and transfer files across the network or at least to the NAS at about 50% network Utilization but it seems my network is slower now. Would a crossover cable between the router and modem help at all the router is able to detect crossovers. I read the Microsoft KB on the QoS service 20% thing they said it was a lie. I don't know what else to buy to fix this I bought XP Pro so Ican monitor the network better than with XP Home.

Thanks
William

Ask a Question