lotus 1-2-3 with .123 ext

G

how do I convert .123 lotus files to excel?
I have no probs with .wk3 and .wk4 format - only with .123 extention

thanks
Kevin

C

Chip Pearson

I don't believe that Excel can open .123 files. You'd have to
open it in Lotus and save to a format that Excel can read.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson
Microsoft MVP - Excel
Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
www.cpearson.com

"TechLan Consulting"

T

Timothy L

And if you don't have Lotus installed, the only other option I could give to you is to download and install
the Windows version of OpenOffice.org 2.0 Beta 2 as it does open Lotus 123 files (ending in .wk1, .wks, and
..123).

You can find more information about OpenOffice.org at, well...
http://www.openoffice.org/

and you can download OpenOffice.org 2.0 Beta 2 here:
http://download.openoffice.org/2.0beta2/index.html

Select your language (most likely English), then under "Select your operating system" select "Windows". The
last one which asks you to "Select your download site", select the location which is closest to you. So if you
live in the United States, you should select one the "USA-" options.

You should note that ONLY OpenOffice.org 2.0 Beta 2 has this converter (filter) at the time of this post. I'd
assume that later versions will continue to have it, but I cannot say for sure.

Also, I cannot tell you that this method will work, but you should give it a try.

If you don't like to install or use beta software (like me), then you might want to wait for the final version
of OpenOffice.org 2.0. I'm testing OpenOffice.org 2.0 Beta 2 on my other computer which I don't care much
about or use very often. I just happened to notice that OpenOffice.org 2.0 Beta 2 could open these files when
testing something in OpenOffice.org Calc.

This may sound like too much of a hassle for you, but I hope it helps.

G

Many thanks for your replies!
Kevin

Timothy L said:
And if you don't have Lotus installed, the only other option I could give to you is to download and install
the Windows version of OpenOffice.org 2.0 Beta 2 as it does open Lotus 123 files (ending in .wk1, .wks, and
..123).

You can find more information about OpenOffice.org at, well...
http://www.openoffice.org/

and you can download OpenOffice.org 2.0 Beta 2 here:
http://download.openoffice.org/2.0beta2/index.html

Select your language (most likely English), then under "Select your operating system" select "Windows". The
last one which asks you to "Select your download site", select the location which is closest to you. So if you
live in the United States, you should select one the "USA-" options.

You should note that ONLY OpenOffice.org 2.0 Beta 2 has this converter (filter) at the time of this post. I'd
assume that later versions will continue to have it, but I cannot say for sure.

Also, I cannot tell you that this method will work, but you should give it a try.

If you don't like to install or use beta software (like me), then you might want to wait for the final version
of OpenOffice.org 2.0. I'm testing OpenOffice.org 2.0 Beta 2 on my other computer which I don't care much
about or use very often. I just happened to notice that OpenOffice.org 2.0 Beta 2 could open these files when
testing something in OpenOffice.org Calc.

This may sound like too much of a hassle for you, but I hope it helps.

H

Harlan Grove

Many thanks for your replies! ....

OpenOffice 2.0 beta makes a hash of it. It only imports the first
worksheet's name correctly. All other worksheets' names are shown as test.

FWIW, Gnumeric also claims to open .123 files, but has problems doing so.

In addition to 123 itself, Quattro Pro version 10 and later can open .123
files mostly without problems, and DataViz's Conversion Plus claims to
handle .123 files (I've never used it).

Ask a Question