Lookup table

shannoncox

Hi

I have one spreadsheet saved as a file that is intended to be a look up
table. 'Column A' is an index column with cells having the numbers 1 to
250 in ascending order. 'Column B' is a column that contains strings 1
to 250.

I'd like to create ANOTHER spreadsheet so that when I entered a number,
1 to 250, in a cell, it would call up the string adjacent to that number
in the lookup table spreadsheet.

Hope this makes sense... Any ideas on how to achieve this?

Shannon

Bondi

Hi Shannon,

You can use VLOOKUP()... Something like

=VLOOKUP(CellRefferenceToYourNumber,A1:B250,2)

Regards,
Bondi

davesexcel

if sheet 2 is your table
column A is the value to look for
column B is what you want to find

in sheet1
A1 is where you will enter your criteria
B1 you can enter this formula
=IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!A1:B250,2,FALSE)),"",VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!A1:B250,2,FALSE))

you don't have to use these ranges this is just an example of how to d

JimMay

Put this in your Second Workbook sheet, where your number (1 to 250)is
in say in cell A2 - enter into cell B2:

=Vlookup(A2, FirstSheet!$A$2:$B$250, 2,0)
And copy down as far as you need.

HTH

"shannoncox" <[email protected]>