Looking for sticky notes program that is *not* MDI.

schrodinger's cat

Every sticky notes program I have tried has the same annoying behavior:
when a scheduled reminder is launched, every other note on the desktop
comes to the front as well. Since I often have 6 or 8 notes on my
desktop, this makes it very difficult to know which one is the current
reminder. I believe this is due to these programs being multiple
document interface apps, with all the notes kept in one ini or other
data file. Is there a note prog which will bring *only* the immediate
reminder note to the top, while leaving all other notes hidden behind
the active windows? Bonus points if the notes can be set to have no
title bar. Naturally, all other useful options should be included -
choice of colors, choice of fonts, flexible reminder scheduler, etc.

Ron May

Message-ID said:
Every sticky notes program I have tried has the same annoying behavior:
when a scheduled reminder is launched, every other note on the desktop
comes to the front as well. Since I often have 6 or 8 notes on my
desktop, this makes it very difficult to know which one is the current
reminder. I believe this is due to these programs being multiple
document interface apps, with all the notes kept in one ini or other
data file. Is there a note prog which will bring *only* the immediate
reminder note to the top, while leaving all other notes hidden behind
the active windows? Bonus points if the notes can be set to have no
title bar. Naturally, all other useful options should be included -
choice of colors, choice of fonts, flexible reminder scheduler, etc.

Check out Hott Notes 3. I just wrote a few test notes, left them on
the desktop, set the alarms for two of them a minute apart, then
opened several browser windows and other apps so all notes were behind
other windows. At the appropriate times, each alarm note popped to
the front in turn while the other notes stayed in the background.

Link: http://www.hottnotes.com/

(If I weren't so comfortable with ATNotes, I'd switch to this one in a
heartbeat based on the "gee whiz" features alone! Anyone who hasn't
seen this one yet should at least take a look at it.)

Jeremy Setter

I use TurboNote and just tested one note with an alarm and yes only one
note came up.
It can be found at:
http://TurboNote.com
It is not freeware but reasonably priced and I have used it a lot over
the years between computers at home and work since it backs up and
stores your notes. Plus you can send notes via a network or as email.
Pretty good stuff.
Regards,
Jeremy

Ron May

Message-ID said:
I use <DELETED> and just tested one note with an alarm and yes only one
note came up.
It can be found at:
<DELETED>
It is not freeware but reasonably priced <REST DELETED>

If it's "not freeware but reasonably priced" then why plug it in

**** ALT.COMP.FREEWARE ****

burnr

Link: http://www.hottnotes.com/

(If I weren't so comfortable with ATNotes, I'd switch to this one in a
heartbeat based on the "gee whiz" features alone! Anyone who hasn't
seen this one yet should at least take a look at it.)

This is a new one to me. It looks interesting, but...from the forum...
http://www.hottnotes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28

<q>Something funky is happening with your notes, data maybe lost" or
something like that, the issue is that I've installed Hottnotes 3 times
and after a few days of smooth running that message appeared at the
startup, I lost my notes too many times, so I get back to Prestnotes,
less cool, but it works!!</q>

<reply>Yeah, this is a definite problem and its at the top of my
priority list of things to fix before the next release. My girlfriend is
going to kill me if she looses her notes again, so trust me its a
priority Smile. I've been working on the next version for a while now
and hopefully I'll be able to release a beta by early February. I'll let
you know when the next version is up and hopefully you'll use hott notes
again.</reply>

Ouch! the posts are dated Jan.19, 2006. I think I'll wait until the next
release. Sounds like the author has a compelling incentive to fix the
bug. ;)

Anne Carle

Check out Hott Notes 3. I just wrote a few test notes, left them on
the desktop, set the alarms for two of them a minute apart, then
opened several browser windows and other apps so all notes were behind
other windows. At the appropriate times, each alarm note popped to
the front in turn while the other notes stayed in the background.

Link: http://www.hottnotes.com/

(If I weren't so comfortable with ATNotes, I'd switch to this one in a
heartbeat based on the "gee whiz" features alone! Anyone who hasn't
seen this one yet should at least take a look at it.)

Wow!That's a nice program! It makes my old Post-It note program look
anemic. I'd like to download it, but I couldn't find any information
about whether it will work with Win98.

Anyone know?? TIA

Anne

Azzman

Wow!That's a nice program! It makes my old Post-It note program look
anemic. I'd like to download it, but I couldn't find any information
about whether it will work with Win98.

Anyone know?? TIA

From the forum:
"I've only tested hott notes on Windows XP and 2000, so this is a
possibility. Also, hott notes uses features (particularly note
translucency) available only in XP and 2000, so it probably won't work in
previous Windows versions. I'll look into this, but there most likely won't
be anything I can do to make it compatible, other than cut features I
already have. Sorry."

Anne Carle

From the forum:
"I've only tested hott notes on Windows XP and 2000, so this is a
possibility. Also, hott notes uses features (particularly note
translucency) available only in XP and 2000, so it probably won't work in
previous Windows versions. I'll look into this, but there most likely won't
be anything I can do to make it compatible, other than cut features I
already have. Sorry."

Well, rats! But thanks for the information...

Anne/OH