Looking for a "site map" tool

marek jedlinski

I'm looking for a utility to generate a site map, i.e. a HTML document
listing all pages within a website. It can run locally or over the web (I
can generate a map for the "live" site or a local copy, doesn't matter).

I've tried using Xenu (the link checker) for this, but Xenu's map listing
is pretty much unordered and contains lots of duplicate links, so it takes
too much editing my hand.

Bonus question :) Does anyone know of a cgi app (Perl, ideally) I could use
to search HTML documents from a web browser? I'm running Apache on Win2K,
just for local use, so I don't need industrial-strength here; just
something to search for text and generate result pages. The more file
formats it handles, the better, but just text and html would do for a
start.

Thanks a lot,
..marek

--
No ads, no nags freeware: http://www.tranglos.com
(KeyNote, PhoneDeck, KookieJar, Oubliette)

"This seems like a case where we need to shoot the messenger."
(Charlie Kaufman on Cypherpunks list)

BillR

marek jedlinski said:
I'm looking for a utility to generate a site map, i.e. a HTML document
listing all pages within a website. It can run locally or over the web (I
can generate a map for the "live" site or a local copy, doesn't matter).

I've tried using Xenu (the link checker) for this, but Xenu's map listing
is pretty much unordered and contains lots of duplicate links, so it takes
too much editing my hand.

Bonus question :) Does anyone know of a cgi app (Perl, ideally) I could use
to search HTML documents from a web browser? I'm running Apache on Win2K,
just for local use, so I don't need industrial-strength here; just
something to search for text and generate result pages. The more file
formats it handles, the better, but just text and html would do for a
start.

Thanks a lot,
.marek

Site map generator - Perhaps one of these:
Perl scripts from HotScripts
eXactMapper Lite
Domesday (formerly Index Generator)
Mihov Index Maker
AllWebMenus
InfoLinks
WebRefs

Please let us know what works. And thanks for all your contributions.

BillR
-----
HotScripts.com has 16 Perl scripts under site mapping.
http://www.hotscripts.com/Perl/Scripts_and_Programs/Site_Mapping/

-----
eXactMapper Lite (FREE)
Version: 1.2. Size: 1.2 MB. MS Windows 95/98/ME/NT/2000 compatible
http://www.exacttrend.com/eXactMapperL/index.html

eXactMapper Lite Excerpts:
Create a professional site map for your Web pages without writing a
single line of code. The process is fully automated and is based on
the Navigational or directory structure of your website. eXactMapper
Lite offers three different and totally customizable HTML/DHTML site
map styles, including a UL list, static tree and an index page. You
can easily embed a site map into your existing Web page and build a
site map. Code generated with DHTML Menu Builder is 100 percent
compatible with Internet Explorer, Netscape Navigator , and Opera
under Windows , Mac, and Linux.

Features
- 3 different site map styles (UL list, static tree and index page)
- HTML/DHTML output code
- Integrated preview
- Automatic building of a sitemap layout based on file/directory
structure or navigational structure
- Handles very large web sites
- Easily embed your project (your pages) into your existing web page
(uploading to an FTP, supports work through firewall).
- Upload for multiple domains.
- Supports Proxy and firewall.

-----
Domesday (formerly Index Generator)
http://www.tildemh.com/sw/idgen/index.shtml

Domesday Excerpts:
Domesday is a tool for generating indices for websites. Every file in
the site is examined to have it's title, description and other
information extracted in order to automatically create either a
hierarchical site map or a sequential index.
Features
- Extracts file information from popular file types:
HTML (most varieties), PDF, GIF, PNG, JPG, MP3, Debian packages
- Ability to index files on local file system based on directory
listings
- Ability to index files from a remote server, such that indices can
be created for sites with dynamic content
- Can create Hierarchical site maps
- Can create Ordered indices (such as A-Z indices)
- Full Internationalisation support (can work with content in most
character encodings)
- Full Localisation support - Translating a few files will make all
aspects of the program appear in a different language.
- Object orientated design allows great expansion possibilities. In
particular, adding new file parsers is a simple task.
- non-interactive operation - can be run from a shedueled task
- Cross platform code - this will work on most systems.
- Friendly graphical program

-----
Mihov Index Maker
Version: 1.50. Date: 11.9.2002. Size: 193 kB
Walks a directory structure and creates one HTML page with links to
all the files. Might not be in outline format, but useful anyway.
http://www.mihov.com/eng/im.html

Mihov Index Maker extract:
Mihov Index Maker is a program that creates a HTML file containing
links to different files on your disk drive. These files can be
pictures, text files or hypertext files. If the files are in HTML
format the program automaticaly inserts the <TITLE> caption in the
link, so you know what is in the file just by looking at the index.
Otherwise the index displays just the file name.
This new version has one long awaited feature: Include Subdirectories.
The program scans through all files in a given directory and through
all files in all the subdirectories and creates one index file with
links to all the files with just one click!.
This program is very useful if you have a lot of HTML files with
names, that you don't understand (i.e. files from your browser's
cache). You'll never be unsure again!
The new version has support for index title and user customizable
background image and of course some minor bug fixes.

-----
Infolink - See reports. Product is free (discontinued) but some pages
don't reflect this.
http://www.biggbyte.com/infolink/features/features.html

-----
Linkno.com advertises a free site map builder to introduce its
AllWebMenus product.

-----
WebRefs
Searches your webpages for hyperlinks and references to images
and scripts, then displays them in a list so you can see where a page
links to. You can also compare the links and references of two files.
http://www.sover.net/~whoi/Internet4.html
http://members.xoom.virgilio.it/thegolino/programmi/internet/prog54/webrefs41.zip

BillR

marek jedlinski said:
I'm looking for a utility to generate a site map, i.e. a HTML document
listing all pages within a website. It can run locally or over the web (I
<Snip>

Apologies to Glem M. for improper attribution. Meant to fix this before posting.

Glenn M. ([email protected])
Subject: Re: HTML Site Mapping
Newsgroups: alt.comp.freeware
Date: 2001-12-13 21:31:06 PST