Long video processing sessions with Virtualdub make computer hitchy,has to be rebooted

Discussion in 'Windows XP Basics' started by brassplyer, Oct 29, 2009.

  1. brassplyer

    brassplyer Guest

    I've noticed that if I do a long video processing project with
    VirtualDub, it has an odd effect on the computer. It causes it to
    intermittently seize or freeze. Not lock up altogether but if you drag
    the mouse across the screen it moves - sticks - moves - sticks. Ditto
    if you play an audio file - plays - glitches - plays - glitches.
    Rebooting fixes it.

    For example, I just processed a video that's almost 2 hours long with
    a Deshaker filter in VirtualDub. Took over a day to process step 1, at
    the end of step 1, it exhibited the above symptom. Rebooted, things
    were okay. Then applied step 2 which is actually applying the filter
    and saving the processed file which took over 6 hours, at the end of
    which the machine exhibits the same symptom. And again, reboot, all is
    back to normal.

    Any idea why this is?

    Running XP Home, P4 2.4 gig, Soyo Dragon mobo.

    Thanks for all input

    brassplyer, Oct 29, 2009

  2. brassplyer

    Brian Guest

    Re: Long video processing sessions with Virtualdub make computer hitchy, has to be rebooted

    brassplyer <> wrote:

    >I've noticed that if I do a long video processing project with
    >VirtualDub, it has an odd effect on the computer. It causes it to
    >intermittently seize or freeze. Not lock up altogether but if you drag
    >the mouse across the screen it moves - sticks - moves - sticks. Ditto
    >if you play an audio file - plays - glitches - plays - glitches.
    >Rebooting fixes it.
    >
    >For example, I just processed a video that's almost 2 hours long with
    >a Deshaker filter in VirtualDub. Took over a day to process step 1, at
    >the end of step 1, it exhibited the above symptom. Rebooted, things
    >were okay. Then applied step 2 which is actually applying the filter
    >and saving the processed file which took over 6 hours, at the end of
    >which the machine exhibits the same symptom. And again, reboot, all is
    >back to normal.
    >
    >Any idea why this is?
    >
    >Running XP Home, P4 2.4 gig, Soyo Dragon mobo.
    >
    >Thanks for all input

    Check that you have plenty of hard disk space and plenty of RAM.
    Close down programs running in the background.
    It's also a good idea to defreg your hard drive.
    IMHO Visa is a better operating system when doing video work.

    Regards Brian

    Brian, Oct 29, 2009

  3. brassplyer

    Marty Guest

    On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 01:36:54 -0700, brassplyer wrote:

    > I've noticed that if I do a long video processing project with
    > VirtualDub, it has an odd effect on the computer. It causes it to
    > intermittently seize or freeze. Not lock up altogether but if you drag
    > the mouse across the screen it moves - sticks - moves - sticks. Ditto if
    > you play an audio file - plays - glitches - plays - glitches. Rebooting
    > fixes it.
    >
    > For example, I just processed a video that's almost 2 hours long with a
    > Deshaker filter in VirtualDub. Took over a day to process step 1, at the
    > end of step 1, it exhibited the above symptom. Rebooted, things were
    > okay. Then applied step 2 which is actually applying the filter and
    > saving the processed file which took over 6 hours, at the end of which
    > the machine exhibits the same symptom. And again, reboot, all is back to
    > normal.
    >
    > Any idea why this is?

    It simply sounds like the memory manager is having a hard time honouring
    requests from the running application. The VirtualDub software is
    probably leaking memory and/or managing its memory poorly. The glitches
    etc are the periods when the memory manager is attempting to coalesce
    small free fragments of memory into larger contiguous blocks. During this
    time the CPU utilization will be very high.

    Adding more RAM to your computer would be your best option.

    Marty, Oct 29, 2009
  4. brassplyer

    Paul Guest

    Marty wrote:
    > On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 01:36:54 -0700, brassplyer wrote:
    >
    >> I've noticed that if I do a long video processing project with
    >> VirtualDub, it has an odd effect on the computer. It causes it to
    >> intermittently seize or freeze. Not lock up altogether but if you drag
    >> the mouse across the screen it moves - sticks - moves - sticks. Ditto if
    >> you play an audio file - plays - glitches - plays - glitches. Rebooting
    >> fixes it.
    >>
    >> For example, I just processed a video that's almost 2 hours long with a
    >> Deshaker filter in VirtualDub. Took over a day to process step 1, at the
    >> end of step 1, it exhibited the above symptom. Rebooted, things were
    >> okay. Then applied step 2 which is actually applying the filter and
    >> saving the processed file which took over 6 hours, at the end of which
    >> the machine exhibits the same symptom. And again, reboot, all is back to
    >> normal.
    >>
    >> Any idea why this is?
    >>

    > It simply sounds like the memory manager is having a hard time honouring
    > requests from the running application. The VirtualDub software is
    > probably leaking memory and/or managing its memory poorly. The glitches
    > etc are the periods when the memory manager is attempting to coalesce
    > small free fragments of memory into larger contiguous blocks. During this
    > time the CPU utilization will be very high.
    >
    > Adding more RAM to your computer would be your best option.

    Except, in a 24 hour run, the program has probably churned through
    many times a 4GB memory space. Adding RAM won't help, if this is
    a problem with how the OS works. The best a person can do, is find tools
    to dump resource usage, on the off chance you might stumble on what
    it is out of.

    http://blogs.technet.com/markrussinovich/archive/2009/03/26/3211216.aspx

    Some of the tools referenced in that article, are written by the author
    of the article, and can be downloaded from here. Sysinternals was bought
    by Microsoft, which is why it is now hosted on a Microsoft site. For
    example, you can get "Process Explorer" from here.

    http://www.sysinternals.com

    Paul

    Paul, Oct 29, 2009
  5. brassplyer

    John Doe Guest

    Paul <> wrote:

    > http://blogs.technet.com/markrussinovich/archive/2009/03/26/3211216.aspx
    >
    > Some of the tools referenced in that article, are written by the author
    > of the article, and can be downloaded from here. Sysinternals was bought
    > by Microsoft, which is why it is now hosted on a Microsoft site. For
    > example, you can get "Process Explorer" from here.
    >
    > http://www.sysinternals.com

    Microsoft needed them more than anything else IMO, hopefully they
    are being paid enough.

    FWIW.
    My recent favorite of their tools... Autoruns, useful in part for
    the right-click pop-up menu "jump to" that efficiently gets you to
    the registry entry.

    John Doe, Oct 29, 2009
  6. Re: Long video processing sessions with Virtualdub make computer hitchy, has to be rebooted

    "CLicker" wrote ...
    > "brassplyer" wrote ...
    >> Any idea why this is?

    > Yes! XP Home, P4 2.4 gig

    Unlikely. Since ALL "XP Home, P4, 2.5 gig" machines don't
    exhibit these symptoms, the most likely variable is a memory
    leak in the layered application: VirtualDub. Seems almost certain.

    Richard Crowley, Oct 31, 2009
  7. brassplyer

    Marty Guest

    On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 14:28:36 -0400, Paul wrote:

    > Marty wrote:
    >> On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 01:36:54 -0700, brassplyer wrote:
    >>
    >>> I've noticed that if I do a long video processing project with
    >>> VirtualDub, it has an odd effect on the computer. It causes it to
    >>> intermittently seize or freeze. Not lock up altogether but if you drag
    >>> the mouse across the screen it moves - sticks - moves - sticks. Ditto
    >>> if you play an audio file - plays - glitches - plays - glitches.
    >>> Rebooting fixes it.
    >>>
    >>> For example, I just processed a video that's almost 2 hours long with
    >>> a Deshaker filter in VirtualDub. Took over a day to process step 1, at
    >>> the end of step 1, it exhibited the above symptom. Rebooted, things
    >>> were okay. Then applied step 2 which is actually applying the filter
    >>> and saving the processed file which took over 6 hours, at the end of
    >>> which the machine exhibits the same symptom. And again, reboot, all is
    >>> back to normal.
    >>>
    >>> Any idea why this is?
    >>>

    >> It simply sounds like the memory manager is having a hard time
    >> honouring requests from the running application. The VirtualDub
    >> software is probably leaking memory and/or managing its memory poorly.
    >> The glitches etc are the periods when the memory manager is attempting
    >> to coalesce small free fragments of memory into larger contiguous
    >> blocks. During this time the CPU utilization will be very high.
    >>
    >> Adding more RAM to your computer would be your best option.
    >>

    > Except, in a 24 hour run, the program has probably churned through many
    > times a 4GB memory space. Adding RAM won't help, if this is a problem
    > with how the OS works. The best a person can do, is find tools to dump
    > resource usage, on the off chance you might stumble on what it is out
    > of.

    In a video processing application, it is unlikely to be a resource leak
    but rather a memory leak.

    In a long run the application will have churned through a massive amount
    of memory. As a consequence of the memory leak, more and more of the
    physical memory is lost from the application heap which pushes the
    machine into eventually spending most of its time thrashing.

    Depending on the size of the memory leak, adding extra RAM might delay
    the onset of the fragged heap sufficiently to complete the required
    processing.

    Marty, Nov 1, 2009