Local Printer won't Respond to Vista

I am trying to setup a local Okidata ML 321 printer on Vista Home Premium.
This printer is on the Vista disk, so no extra driver is needed. I am able
to install the printer, but it won't print the test page or any other
document. It shows document in printer window, but status says "error." I
cannot seem to get more info on error. Ruled out printer cord by replacing.
Tried all the local printer ports in New Printer wizard with no success
(LPT1, LPT2, COM1, etc). Plug'N'Play recognizes "new hardware" when added
and "successfully installs the driver", but it creates no printer file and
nothing changes. Other discussion answers talk about totally cleaning up
printer drivers from multiple locations before installing anew (which might
be part of my problem), but the latest OS they describe is XP and I cannot
find similar driver locations on Vista. Is there a "clean up printer
drivers" for Vista? Does it matter which USB port I plug it into? Printer
Troubleshooter is no help. The printer worked fine on XP. I hooked it up to
another XP PC and it printed fine.
Any suggestions? Thanks

Alan,
No, there is no USB port physically on the printer. I used a cable to
convert from USB to the old printer connectors (37-pin? or LPT?). Are you
referring to the print driver? I'm confused.
Transplanted Engineer

Alan Morris said:
Did OKI add a USB port to the 321? I have only seen old ones with an LPT
port.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

Transplanted engineer said:
[...]

Alan Morris [MSFT]

And you are using the same USB to parallel conversion cable when you hook
this printer to another machine and it works fine there, correct?

--

Alan Morris said:
Did OKI add a USB port to the 321? I have only seen old ones with an LPT
port.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team